What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

Wherenext replied on 08/03/2024 13:46

Posted on 08/03/2024 13:46

Out and about this morning and couldn't fail to notice the 200+ Gulls in a farmers field. Lovely to see that a large majority of them were Common Gulls, not that common ironically. They were doing their Worm Paddle Dance. You hardly ever hear them either. We were taken aback some years ago when abroad when we came across a breeding flock making strange sounds. We'd never heard their song. Nothing like the other raucous gulls at all.

Oneputt replied on 09/03/2024 13:11

Posted on 09/03/2024 13:11

Went to Warham Camp this morning and great variety of wild life about in this glorious 16C of sunshine. Lots of Brimstone butterflies, Heron, Buzzards,Kites, etc etc but the star of the show was a Pallid Harrier which has been roosting close by for some time

Bakers2 replied on 09/03/2024 17:13

Posted on 07/03/2024 16:09 by Wherenext

I think, but may be wrong, that they pretend to be injured to lure predators, like foxes,  away from their young. I seem to recall an RSPB guide telling me that many years ago.

They're a beautiful bird, one of my favourites. My OH and her mother know them as Peewits.

Posted on 09/03/2024 17:13

That was my understanding of the collective noun, too. I also know them as peewits. 

The cricket field opposite my parents house, I grew up there - they lived there for 66 years, (they both had their wish of going out feet first) had them visit in large numbers often when I was a child. Might they have been annual visits? Sadly, I can't recall them visiting in numbers for more years than I care to remember and certainly not in quantity.

Wherenext replied on 17/03/2024 15:12

Posted on 17/03/2024 15:12

Doing some gardening this afternoon and it was delightful to hear so much birdsong and such variety too.

On a walk from home into the local countryside I heard our first Chiffchaffs of the year on the edge of the village. We were lucky to have 3 competing ones for a while in the local woods last year.

Fisherman replied on 17/03/2024 15:17

Posted on 17/03/2024 15:17

My old buzzard mate back to full feather.Over last few weeks looked a bit bedraggled with broken or moulting tail feathers. Now soaring at his best.Mostly on his own as I guess his mate is on the nest in the large oakwood adjacent. Will have a look on a dry day both for the buzzard and kite nest.

RedKite replied on 17/03/2024 15:21

Posted on 17/03/2024 15:21

Same here WN a lot of Blackkbirds and others all singing around here.

Saw three pairs of Blackcaps in a small shrub outside a small village shop about 5 miles from here the other day and had 7 Black Kites flying over whilst hanging the washing out this morning, not heard any Chiffchaffs yet but will not be long.

Whilst opening the shutter in the lounge this morning there was a female Tree Frog right under the opening so had to be careful and then moved her onto a long trough under the window she was very dark green but with red/yellow feet must have been her singing away yesterday very loudly.

nelliethehooker replied on 17/03/2024 21:24

Posted on 17/03/2024 21:24

Not heard a Chiffchaff yet this year but there were lots of Skylarks about this afternoon by the coast. We did spot this young seal pup when walking on the shore. I didn't want to get too close so not the best of shots. 

RedKite replied on 18/03/2024 15:07

Posted on 18/03/2024 15:07

Heard a chiffchaff today whilst having a picnic on the way back from Montauban, also see a holly blue and orange tip butterflies so Spring is on the way.

Good photo of the seal pup Nth.

Oneputt replied on 19/03/2024 16:27

Posted on 19/03/2024 16:27

Two Swallows flew ver the house this morning, first of the year for us.  SIL saw a swift yesterday afternoon.  Time to go and see if any Sand Martins have occupied the nests on our cliffs 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook