What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

RedKite replied on 13/05/2024 19:37

Posted on 13/05/2024 19:37

Have got a pair of Turtle Doves on site in Obterre France and were singing to each other this afternoon also the owner has had a Little Egret on their pond for a few days but not whilst we are here. Good to hear about the different birds in Norfolk and hopefully the Golden Oriels are at home when we get back in a couple of days.

nelliethehooker replied on 13/05/2024 21:32

Posted on 13/05/2024 21:32

Nothing as exotic as the Bee Eaters, Turtle Doves or Golden Oriels but did see some Arctic Terns, Gannets and an Osprey feeding at Spey Bay, and during our walk inland heard Sedge and Willow Warblers, Chiffchats, a Blackcap and Yellowhammers which abound on the gorse.

mickysf replied on 13/05/2024 22:31

Posted on 13/05/2024 22:31

Nothing much to report, constant rain dampened both our efforts and those of the birds today it seemed. Did see heron and several egrets on Tremadoc Bay, the latter getting more common everywhere in the UK it seems, they were unheard of and unseen in my youth. My first swifts of the season in the skies over Gelliliydan were a welcomed sight mind.

RedKite replied on 16/05/2024 17:01

Posted on 16/05/2024 17:01

Now back home and have heard the Golden Oriole calling today great to hear.

On our way back yesterday saw a lot of oak trees minus the leaves due to Oak Processionary caterpillars have stripped so many trees even in our area a lot of damage and looks like 2 trees in our plot also partly damaged grr and the trees look like winter also noticed that Walnut trees also having trouble with leaves gone off the trees so something has appeared also did see a lot of local Plane Trees with brown leaves on very odd and know we have had awful storms here whilst away so whether leaf damage also due to very wet conditions not good news.

Badger has been busy whilst we have been away a few holes around where orchid bulbs are as they have eaten the bulbs but not the plant.

mickysf replied on 16/05/2024 22:15

Posted on 16/05/2024 22:15

Well, over the last couple of days we’ve seen every member of the Corvid family barring the Jay. The Choughs being the most of interest to us as we don’t get them on our coast. However, we’ve seen far more than expected. They are very specific in their distribution being rather limited to coastal habitats like those found on the Llŷn Peninsula, Anglesey and adjacent rocky coastlines of Wales. Comical and skilful in their aerial pursuits they most certainly are.
Some corvids get an unreasonable press, particularly magpies, but all are part of our indigenous aviculture and I love the colouring of these once much persecuted birds. 
Note, have included hooded crow as a subspecies of crow although I’m told there is one presently wandering about North Wales. I might see that in the next few days.

Wherenext replied on 17/05/2024 14:01

Posted on 17/05/2024 14:01

Have seen Choughs as far east along the coast as the hills above Conway Castle. We love the noise they make

mickysf replied on 17/05/2024 21:42

Posted on 17/05/2024 14:01 by Wherenext

Have seen Choughs as far east along the coast as the hills above Conway Castle. We love the noise they make

Posted on 17/05/2024 21:42

I believe they have been reintroduced into the cliffs around the Dover coastal area. Don’t know how they are doing mind.

nelliethehooker replied on 18/05/2024 20:10

Posted on 18/05/2024 20:10

We saw our first Swifts today, flying over Loch Kinord, and also heard the Cuckoo, or should I say 3 at least, which we had not heard at all when we were over by the coast. Plenty of Warblers, Willow and Garden (our first), Blackcaps, Chiffchats; also Tree Pipets and lots of Coal Tits.

Oneputt replied on 18/05/2024 20:27

Posted on 18/05/2024 20:27

Just approaching Eastleigh and a stork flew across the road at quite a high altitude 

mickysf replied on 20/05/2024 18:29

Posted on 20/05/2024 18:29

A most enjoyable day walking around New Quay, out on a Sea Watch boat and walking the Coastal Path. Much to see including Red Kite, Chough, gullimot, Razorbills and several dolphins, some came to the boat. Later on we  saw a female dolphin with her calf just metres from the rocks below the headland. They put on a show for about half an hour. A day we will never forget.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook