What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

Wherenext replied on 12/04/2024 11:20

Posted on 12/04/2024 11:20

For anyone who hasn't heard and/or seen a Nightingale in the UK then here is a YT video of one taken at RSPB Minsmere in Suffolk. Worth following this persons videos. He does great ones of Bees and Wasps and Reptiles found at the reserve. There is one of a Bittern if you search for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR2mYpMTccE

mickysf replied on 15/04/2024 07:07

Posted on 15/04/2024 07:07

Several reports yesterday and today about Common Cranes being sighted across Lincolnshire, Yorkshire, Rutland and Nottinghamshire. I’m currently in Cambridge and saw three birds very high in the sky and presumed they were cranes. Unfortunately I was unable to be 100% sure but they were large, grey and had the correct wing movements. Keep your eyes peeled, no hirundines or swifts yet for me though.

nelliethehooker replied on 15/04/2024 21:31

Posted on 15/04/2024 21:31

We saw our first Swallows and House Martins yesterday flying over the River Nidd at Sanquhar, although they were not around this morning.goes

Earlier in the week, on our last walk out around 10:15 at night I nearly tripped over a Tawny Owl which was stood at the side of the path, possibly feeding. It could not have heard us coming, as It was raining and blowing hard, and we were about 5 yrds from it before it flew away.

mickysf replied on 15/04/2024 22:00

Posted on 15/04/2024 21:31 by nelliethehooker

We saw our first Swallows and House Martins yesterday flying over the River Nidd at Sanquhar, although they were not around this morning.goes

Earlier in the week, on our last walk out around 10:15 at night I nearly tripped over a Tawny Owl which was stood at the side of the path, possibly feeding. It could not have heard us coming, as It was raining and blowing hard, and we were about 5 yrds from it before it flew away.

Posted on 15/04/2024 22:00

Still no hirundines, but saw several red kites being buffeted by the high winds as we travelled north up the A1. They seem to cope admirably though probably enjoying the challenges of the turbulence, well they appeared to be.

I’ve just been informed that Swifts are amongst the last of the migrants to arrive on our shores, not related to swallows and martins I’m told but more closely akin to the hummingbirds. Strange but true it seems.

nelliethehooker replied on 16/04/2024 21:40

Posted on 16/04/2024 21:40

A couple of unusual sights today, one as we drove back to the site along the A76. Feeding by the edge of the road was what at first took to be Rook, but as we passed we saw that it was a jet black Pheasant. I have seen dark coloured ones before but none ever a black as this one was. Unfortunately there was no place to stop to try and get a photo of the bird. Arriving back at the site, in the mid afternoon, there was a Bat flying round in the bright sunshine! 

We have been lucky with small birds too, having seen a Willow Warbler and heard Chiffchats, a Nuthatch being very vocal today, along with Greenfinches, and down on the River Nidd were two pair of Goosanders.

Oneputt replied on 19/04/2024 21:59

Posted on 19/04/2024 21:59

On the way back home today it was a delight to watch 2 x Marsh Harriers sky dancing in the exceptionally strong winds.  It’s a pastime that appears to bring them joy 

mickysf replied on 20/04/2024 09:13

Posted on 16/04/2024 21:40 by nelliethehooker

A couple of unusual sights today, one as we drove back to the site along the A76. Feeding by the edge of the road was what at first took to be Rook, but as we passed we saw that it was a jet black Pheasant. I have seen dark coloured ones before but none ever a black as this one was. Unfortunately there was no place to stop to try and get a photo of the bird. Arriving back at the site, in the mid afternoon, there was a Bat flying round in the bright sunshine! 

We have been lucky with small birds too, having seen a Willow Warbler and heard Chiffchats, a Nuthatch being very vocal today, along with Greenfinches, and down on the River Nidd were two pair of Goosanders.

Posted on 20/04/2024 09:13

There is a shoot near us that deliberately release only melanistic pheasants onto their land. I don’t know why but there are too many of these non native birds around us and they do unfortunately impact negatively on the natural wildlife. Beautiful birds that they are, sadly they are only there for the shooting!

RedKite replied on 20/04/2024 14:48

Posted on 20/04/2024 14:48

Got both the Nightingales singing either side of us both in deep bushes and just gone quiet so the local Robin right my turn now to sing  so there.

Lots of butterflies now the weather is a bit warmer and sunny and the ants are out as well very tiny ones to quite large ones.

Have seen Swallows, House Martins and Crag Martins but no Swifts yet, also the Cuckoo is busy everywhere around here.

mickysf replied on 21/04/2024 08:48

Posted on 21/04/2024 08:48

Just going through my ‘records’ and noted that around this date last year we were seeing quite a few Alpine Swifts up and down the east coast of England. There was a suggestion that climate change was a driving factor and that they could soon be breeding here. Not seen or heard of any this year so far. I’m also still waiting to see any of the hirundines around us.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook