Calor bottles discontinued

paulmold replied on 19/01/2023 16:47

Posted on 19/01/2023 16:47

Serious consequences for smaller campervans and caravans...

"Calor Retail Stockists will receive individual communication on this as the letters are due to hit later this week.

Changes to our cylinder range

From 1st February 2023 the following cylinders will be discontinued: Cube, 3.9kg Propane, 4.5kg Butane, 6Lite Propane and 12kg Butane cylinders.

Why have we done this?

Improving our cylinder service is a priority. Our existing range of cylinders is creating complexity within our supply chain. This means longer change over times and reduced filling capacity on high volume key sizes. That’s why we’ve taken the difficult decision to reduce our cylinder range, simplifying the business.

We realise this change will affect customers that rely on these sizes, but we know these changes are necessary to significantly improve our cylinder service.

Suitable Alternatives

There are suitable alternatives to these cylinder sizes within our range, or within the Campingaz range. For example, customers looking for a 3.9kg Propane can be offered a 6kg Propane, and those looking for a 4.5kg Butane offered a 7kg Butane.

For more information on suitable alternatives and safely changing the regulator, visit www.calor.co.uk/cylinder-range-faq      "

eribaMotters replied on 25/06/2023 09:31

Posted on 25/06/2023 09:31

So to sum all of this up, the market situation is a farce. Manufactures, distributors and consumers do not know what is happening.

I'm guessing the best bet is to source a couple of lightweight bottles from two different suppliers and carry the appropriate hose for each.

I suppose the other option would be to buy one of the electric only vans being sold by Knaus, but that would be an expensive solution to the problem.

Colin

Birder John replied on 10/08/2023 17:07

Posted on 10/08/2023 17:07

Hi all

I've just hit this problem, We've had a Transit campervan for about 18 months now [Devon Firefly]. Gas cupboard fits 2 x 3.9Kg Calor propane bottles, nothing larger. It came 2nd hand wiht just one but we bought another last year. FloGas has been suggested and we have a local dealer. Just visited them. Can't buy a new bottle without exchanging an empty FloGas bottle! On the FloGas website you can't currently buy a new bottle online without exchanging an empty one!. They list loads of different other brands you can exchange, but it doesn't include Calor.!! So basically we're up the creek without a paddle! Goin back online - "searching searching .... " as Del Shannon used to sing [showing my age!].smile

Birder John replied on 10/08/2023 20:23

Posted on 10/08/2023 20:23

Thanks DavidRC, although they still seem intent on phasing them out. My local supplier couldn't help. I've solved it by ordering a Gaslight 5kg bottle from FloGas. They can supply these full via an online order [as opposed to their traditional 3.8Kg metal bottles] and then I have a local agent where I can subsequently exchange for a full one once this one is empty. These Gaslight bottle are of plastics construction, apparently very strong, and are translucent so you can see the LPG level. There's an initial cost of £49 for the bottle so the total was £93.

Colin Dav replied on 29/08/2023 19:02

Posted on 29/08/2023 19:02

For several months we had terrible trouble getting 6kg normal colour propane bottles, recently 1 local garage had the min but wanted £40 exchange.  Found out that several suppliers had gone over to Flogas. These were £30.99 exchange in the middle of July. A few of the new Flogas suppliers would also exchange for a cost of £18 - £19.99. So I exchanged 2 empty 6Kg Calour  for 6Kg Flogas. ! extra exchange of each bottle an I break even. No brainer I thought.

Snowy1 replied on 29/08/2023 19:39

Posted on 19/01/2023 16:47 by paulmold

Serious consequences for smaller campervans and caravans...

"Calor Retail Stockists will receive individual communication on this as the letters are due to hit later this week.

Changes to our cylinder range

From 1st February 2023 the following cylinders will be discontinued: Cube, 3.9kg Propane, 4.5kg Butane, 6Lite Propane and 12kg Butane cylinders.

Why have we done this?

Improving our cylinder service is a priority. Our existing range of cylinders is creating complexity within our supply chain. This means longer change over times and reduced filling capacity on high volume key sizes. That’s why we’ve taken the difficult decision to reduce our cylinder range, simplifying the business.

We realise this change will affect customers that rely on these sizes, but we know these changes are necessary to significantly improve our cylinder service.

Suitable Alternatives

There are suitable alternatives to these cylinder sizes within our range, or within the Campingaz range. For example, customers looking for a 3.9kg Propane can be offered a 6kg Propane, and those looking for a 4.5kg Butane offered a 7kg Butane.

For more information on suitable alternatives and safely changing the regulator, visit www.calor.co.uk/cylinder-range-faq      "

Posted on 29/08/2023 19:39

Many thanks for posting this information, I had no idea this was happening as I am a little out of date regarding caravanning as my wife and I had mothballed our caravan for the past six years. We’re back on the road in a weeks time when our local caravan dealer has serviced the brakes etc and obviously replaced our outdated tyres. 

nelliethehooker replied on 29/08/2023 20:37

Posted on 29/08/2023 20:37

Nice to see you back and heading off again, Snowy. Hope you enjoy being back out with your caravan, and that you didn't offload your gas bottles when you mothballed the van.

Snowy1 replied on 29/08/2023 20:53

Posted on 29/08/2023 20:37 by nelliethehooker

Nice to see you back and heading off again, Snowy. Hope you enjoy being back out with your caravan, and that you didn't offload your gas bottles when you mothballed the van.

Posted on 29/08/2023 20:53

Many thanks for your kind reply, fortunately I’ve still got my bottles they are 7.5 Kg Calor Propane, so if I’ve read the post correctly I should still be able to exchange them! we’re so excited to be back on the road again, happy days ahead for us, once again, many thanks for your reply. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook