Sustainability Matters

RowenaBCAMC replied on 05/10/2023 14:20

Posted on 05/10/2023 14:20

The Club is working hard to ensure it operates as sustainably as possible and is developing plans and targets for the future focusing on the three key themes of People, Places and Planet as per our Green Tourism accreditation.

The Sustainability team will be at the NEC Motorhome and Caravan Show on the morning of Wednesday 18 October and will be sharing what the Club has been doing to be more Sustainable. It would be great to hear if there are any particular questions or topics you would like covered to ensure we can make the update as relevant and interesting as possible.

We would love for you to share your questions and ideas in the comments below to help us shape our plans and future communication to you, the members. Let's start a conversation about sustainability and how we can work together towards a greener future for all. We look forward to hearing from you!

DaveT replied on 10/01/2024 12:06

Posted on 10/01/2024 12:06

Whilst I applaud the discussion on sustainability for the environment and the ways in which we can reduce our personal carbon footprint, I fear we may be loosing sight of a potentially larger problem for all of us. Many of us rely on diesel ICEs because of their efficiency in hauling Motorhomes or larger caravans. 2024 introduces the government policy towards Zero Emission Vehicles (ZEVs). This means that in 2024, manufacturers may sell a maximum of 78% of their output as ICE powered vehicles. As we head towards 2030, this gradually reduces to a maximum of 20% ICE powered vehicles. Failure to comply with this mandated policy will result in a fine for every excess ICE unit the manufacturer produces. If we still want or need ICE powered vehicles, we must surely face the prospect of a dwindling supply of vehicles (and hence waiting lists/high prices). Personally, the thought of towing a caravan with an EV and looking for a functioning charging point every few miles would not be sustainable for me and would end in the sale of my outfit. Equally, the thought of queueing on site for a charger would not float my boat. Unless there is some rapid technology change, we won't have to worry about caravan sites, as many will not exist!  Perhaps Rowena is aware of a government derogation for the leisure industry?

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook