Caravan Newbie in a panic- MTPLM - BMW530D M Sport

ScreenName712C2C851B replied on 25/07/2020 17:08

Posted on 25/07/2020 17:08

Hello Everyone

Firstly thanks for looking at this thread.

As a family of 4 (kids 10 & 12) we are looking to purchase a caravan and identified a Bailey Barcelona (MTPLM 1723kg) as our first caravan.

So speaking to friends etc they assure me that my BMW 530D which has:

A max towing weight of 2000kg, kerb weight of 1810kg / 1825kg (see two values) will be fine?

But can you help on the BMW MTPLM?

If the MTPLM is 1810kg and the caravan is 1723kg then this means 1810 = 95.2% have I calculated this correct>?

Can I tow this, some information seems to suggest you can tow between 85% to 100%

1810kg is the standard car with fuel etc, when we use the car with the caravan for holidays then we will have a roof box / boot and be putting the weight into the car, would this increase the MTPLM and make the car heavier and make it better?

The Caravan has ALDI breaks, twin axle and ALCO stabilizer (2015) model 

allanandjean replied on 26/07/2020 11:13

Posted on 26/07/2020 11:13

Hi, hope you are finding all the info helpful, and not too confusing. When we started towing we struggled to get a van that was around the advised 85% recommendation.

We decided that so long as the van was less than the cars stated kerbweight it was OK and anything that could go in the car would.

Last year on a site in France my friend commented that a German van was obviously too heavy for his car.

Google, and Lutz, showed this to be incorrect and whilst he was not at 85% he was legal.

My take would be to avoid a twin axle van, get as close to 85% as possible and don't exceed 100%.

You may find looking at a site like caravan finder useful for seeing what options are available, I think my old Valencia is pretty much the same layout, to the Barcelona.

Hope you enjoy your vanning!

Tinwheeler replied on 26/07/2020 11:54

Posted on 26/07/2020 11:54

Good advice in your 5th para, A&J.

It's quite true that over 85% does not break any laws (I stated the legal requirements in my first post) but, in the interests of safety, the closer to 85%, the better, especially for a newcomer with a huge van.

I have aimed throughout at keeping the OP safe and legal, as I'm sure have others. The OP is obviously confused on some points and I hope we might have helped and that he will return at some point with an update.

allanandjean replied on 26/07/2020 12:15

Posted on 26/07/2020 11:54 by Tinwheeler

Good advice in your 5th para, A&J.

It's quite true that over 85% does not break any laws (I stated the legal requirements in my first post) but, in the interests of safety, the closer to 85%, the better, especially for a newcomer with a huge van.

I have aimed throughout at keeping the OP safe and legal, as I'm sure have others. The OP is obviously confused on some points and I hope we might have helped and that he will return at some point with an update.

Posted on 26/07/2020 12:15

Hi TW, whilst this and other forums may have been around I was unaware and at least the OP is trying to get info from people who have done it rather than just looking at a book-so to speak.

When we started the only thing that was mentioned was the 85% 'rule' and it was necessity, struggling to find a van that my 1087 kg Audi, that weight is burned into my memory, could safely tow that lead to the discovery that it was not a rule after all.

My car then, as now, is the car that I want to have and the van is chosen to fit the car-so we don't have the tail wagging the dog.

Friends that we rally with decided to go for a twin axle last year and after his first trip with his Discovery felt that was happening to him so changed to a Range Rover.

I think that's maybe what he was after all along and the twin axle was a means of getting it!

ADP1963 replied on 26/07/2020 14:30

Posted on 26/07/2020 14:30

Can't seeing you having trouble with a 3 litre BMW diesel, I should think it would be effortless.

ScreenName712C2C851B replied on 26/07/2020 16:31

Posted on 26/07/2020 16:31

Thank you all for the comments, tech details etc....

As I mentioned I am brand new to this and I want to get this correct, I will go and gather specific details from the log book.

It is all confusing tbh as there is alot of detail for a new comer, but i will check back later.

Again thank you, i recgonise there is a lot of experience and opinions, as tinwheeler mentioned what is legal and safe.

JVB66 replied on 26/07/2020 16:43

Posted on 26/07/2020 16:31 by ScreenName712C2C851B

Thank you all for the comments, tech details etc....

As I mentioned I am brand new to this and I want to get this correct, I will go and gather specific details from the log book.

It is all confusing tbh as there is alot of detail for a new comer, but i will check back later.

Again thank you, i recgonise there is a lot of experience and opinions, as tinwheeler mentioned what is legal and safe.

Posted on 26/07/2020 16:43

You will be fine ,it seems "complicated" and the match looks ok, just when you collect the C/van , if possible ,stay close to where you bought it, if from a dealer then any problems ,get them to come to youwink

replied on 26/07/2020 20:29

Posted on 26/07/2020 12:15 by allanandjean

Hi TW, whilst this and other forums may have been around I was unaware and at least the OP is trying to get info from people who have done it rather than just looking at a book-so to speak.

When we started the only thing that was mentioned was the 85% 'rule' and it was necessity, struggling to find a van that my 1087 kg Audi, that weight is burned into my memory, could safely tow that lead to the discovery that it was not a rule after all.

My car then, as now, is the car that I want to have and the van is chosen to fit the car-so we don't have the tail wagging the dog.

Friends that we rally with decided to go for a twin axle last year and after his first trip with his Discovery felt that was happening to him so changed to a Range Rover.

I think that's maybe what he was after all along and the twin axle was a means of getting it!

Posted on 26/07/2020 20:29

Different for me. I chose cars to handle typical 4 berths of the time for the last 40 years

onepjg replied on 26/07/2020 22:42

Posted on 26/07/2020 22:42

I’ve had a Barcelona, and towed it with a Touareg. Personally I would not be happy with the weight match. It is legal, no question, but personally I put my wife and kids in the car and I’m more interested in safe than legal. Barcelona is a big, hefty van and I’d want something reasonably heavier than the van towing it. I’ve seen too many videos and a few actual overturned vans to risk it. You’re ultimately towing 2 tonne behind your car at 60ish mph, and that is quite significant. If you like the van, consider something like a Valencia which is slightly shorter but identical in layout, other than a missing chest of drawers. It will weigh about 1500kg and be a much better balance. 

JohnM20 replied on 27/07/2020 08:14

Posted on 27/07/2020 08:14

Just in case it helps with your weight calculations, the weight of what I consider essentials in our caravan and therefore taken from the available payload is 116kg. This includes battery, motormover, ATC unit, Aquaroll, Wastemaster, assorted levelling blocks and wedges, step, loo fluid, crockery, pots & pans etc, bedding (for two people). This does not include any food or clothes which, depending on where and for how long we are going, can add another 40+kg. 

Over the years we have weighed everything that goes into the caravan which isn't much of an arduous task using bathroom scales and I have kept a self totalling XL  record of the weights and, where possible marked each item with the weight. If / when we change the caravan we know where we are starting from weight-wise. 

Hope this helps.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook