First off Grid trip

ScreenName6C413F338F replied on 04/01/2022 17:00

Posted on 04/01/2022 17:00

Hi all Happy New Year, 

After some advice wrt powering our van whilst off grid for a week next year. Currently weighing up options and any advice would be great!

So I've got a few questions (apologies if these are basics but we are new to caravanning). We have a solar light system from our tenting days that we could use for lighting so that shouldn't be an issue, but we're going to need some power during the week to power up various gadgets etc. plus we want the fridge up and running. So:

Is it more cost effective to run the fridge off the gas or leisure battery if off grid?

If we were to run the fridge of the gas bottle how quickly would we run out of gas?

How long would the leisure battery last if we ran the fridge off it?

Is purchasing additional leisure batteries the way to go, or are there cheaper power alternatives that we could hook the van up to whilst we are away?

Thanks in advance 

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 11/01/2022 12:10

Posted on 11/01/2022 09:40 by Rocky 2 buckets

Is there such a thing as a ‘sun tracker’ on a small enough scale for LV’s or am I guilty of way too much SciFi watching BB?🤷🏻‍♂️😬

Posted on 11/01/2022 12:10

Scratch that BB I just got an email with a link, the answer is heck yes there is👍🏻

young thomas replied on 11/01/2022 12:36

Posted on 11/01/2022 12:36

Yes, there are dedicated 'sun tracking' panels for LVs but also one that uses a fitted satellite system to track sunshine....the panel is fitted to the rear face of the dish...solar in the daytime, tv at night.👍

Wolfie1 replied on 11/01/2022 19:48

Posted on 11/01/2022 19:48

When my car is idling you cannot hear it running at all, op didnt say he was on a campsite

ABM replied on 11/01/2022 21:51

Posted on 11/01/2022 21:51

Just to throw my twopennorth into the ring since nobody else appears to have said it :--  The comments about fridges & charging batteries or using gas  ~~  it does depend on the type of fridge !!  The one fitted in my Autocruise Jazz is a COMPRESSOR FRIDGE --  and that only runs on 12 volts !!  Keeps my food etc quite cool even if I'm away from 240v for a couple of days or three.

ScreenName6C413F338F replied on 19/01/2022 18:21

Posted on 19/01/2022 18:21

Thanks all, to add some context - we will be at 1 location at an event for 5 days. We won't be able to eat out on site every day as it will cost a fortune hence the requirement for a fridge for our stay. It sounds like 60 - 100 w solar will be enough to keep phones etc topped up not bothered about the TV working. Thank once again for all the advice most appreciated. 

SeasideBill replied on 20/01/2022 10:42

Posted on 19/01/2022 18:21 by ScreenName6C413F338F

Thanks all, to add some context - we will be at 1 location at an event for 5 days. We won't be able to eat out on site every day as it will cost a fortune hence the requirement for a fridge for our stay. It sounds like 60 - 100 w solar will be enough to keep phones etc topped up not bothered about the TV working. Thank once again for all the advice most appreciated. 

Posted on 20/01/2022 10:42

Sounds like gas is your only reliable option, particularly if you get some decent weather and want to avoid throwing food away. However, you could just avoid perishable food? I think we’ve been through the entire range of Morrisons tinned chilli, curry etc plus a boil-in-the-bag rice. Might be a problem keeping the beer chilled tho’?

Photo4x4 replied on 20/01/2022 16:10

Posted on 20/01/2022 16:10

Hello ScreenName6C413F338F

Lots of advice here, but sometimes you can get too much! laughing

Anyway, do it and don't fret. We happily go off grid at the 'other' club's Temporary Holiday Sites for 3 or more weeks anytime from mid-spring to early autumn.

We have a built in 80w solar panel which keeps the battery charged and all LED lighting. We perhaps watch an hour or two of telly per day. We may use a 6kg bottle of gas (cooking & hot water and occasional heating) every 10 days.

BTW it's always a good idea to have two gas bottles so when one runs out you can swap over immediately, the go and get a replacement for the empty one.

We purchased a SafeFill bottle a few months ago, but you will manage perfectly well with ordinary Calor (propane).

Just do it, relax and enjoy.

KH

Colin Dav replied on 25/06/2022 00:10

Posted on 06/01/2022 15:33 by eurortraveller

Why do you need a fridge for a week? Campers with tents live outdoors without one easily enough. Shop daily for perishables - or eat at a pub, but cooking on a gas hob for a week won’t exhaust a cylinder. Charge your phone in the car when you go out . Buy a portable Camping Gaz lantern. Live simply. Many of us caravanned for years before there was any grid for us to go off it. 

Posted on 25/06/2022 00:10

Too keep the Beer Cold 

Lyke Wake Man replied on 23/09/2023 18:50

Posted on 23/09/2023 18:50

You need to run your heating, water & fridge of gas, we use about 5k.g. per week

you can also invest in a generator for things like a microwave, steamer, kettle etc

but DON'T have it running all night you will upset other caravaners

you will need a solar panel, but ditch the pwr charge controller and get a mppt charge controller, it will give you more power 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook