Campervan Insurance Renewal

Phat8oy replied on 03/07/2023 13:34

Posted on 03/07/2023 13:34

I get the standard email from Devitt Insurance via CAMC, informing me that my policy is coming up for renewal and I'll automatically be charged I won't have to do anything, "Oh by the way we're increasing your policy by an extra £120" to £720 from £600.

I telephoned them this morning and asked is this right and they (notice no names given) said if you want us to dispute the quote go and find a quote cheaper come back to us and we'll put it to the loss adjusters to see if they can beat it, their advert says you'll also get £25.

I said if I'm going to the trouble to shop around and do your work for your and I find cheaper it's very unlikely I'll come back to you as I've done your work myself, and the reply was "that's up to you" (I hate it when companies say this, especially as I've received a minimum of one email per month selling insuring through CAMC).

My issues

• I never gave them permission to automatically renew 
  • What are they actually doing for the money they take for selling the policy
  • I got it cheaper from Adrian Flux, with a better policy for £480 

On a positive note

• I was told if your policy doesn't renew we'll send you a copy of your NCD

All of the above are my own words

I hope some of you find this helpful 

Tammygirl replied on 04/03/2024 19:42

Posted on 02/03/2024 14:51 by Tightlines28

Your not going to believe this.

My new quote from devitt for £829 was via LV insurance!!

My Quote from LV direrct was £640.00 !!!

Spoke again to Devitt to match and they said sorry no can do.!!

What a great service CAMC  givers its members!!

Posted on 04/03/2024 19:42

We had similar last year with comfort, they gave us a quote via LV we went direct to LV and got it half the price.

Saga was just a joke as was the CAMC.

Can't wait to see what the clowns come up with this year.

DavidKlyne replied on 05/03/2024 20:40

Posted on 05/03/2024 20:40

I have just had a similar shock to others. This is my tenth year with a motorhome and both have been insured with the CMC. Last years premium was £409. Imagine my shock when the renewal email arrived today with a premium of £749!!!!! That is over 80% increase and whilst I accept that generally insurance premiums have gone up a lot over the last year that takes the biscuit! I got a quote from Comfort and that was £150 less than the Club and a quote from Caravan Guard was only £40 more than last years premium. I will investigate a few more from the companies mentioned in this thread but it looks as a long association with the Club's Insurance, caravan and motorhome, will be coming to an end? Might even see if I can get the Club to match!

David

DavidKlyne replied on 06/03/2024 17:57

Posted on 06/03/2024 17:57

Just an update on my motorhome renewal. Just had a conversation with Devitt and asked what would make a difference to the premium. We went through several things and decided to remove Margaret as second driver as she would never drive the motorhome. I was under the misapprehension that insurance was cheaper with two drivers, obviously not. I changed the annual mileage down to 3000 miles, we haven't done more than that since we have had this motorhome. Finally I agreed to a small voluntary excess of £100 on top of the £400 policy excess as in reality I would unlikely to involve the insurance company for anything under £500? So with all these changes I managed to reduce the the premium from £749  down to £568 which was a bit lower than the quote I got from Comfort. So there are things you can do to reduce the quote if it fits in with your requirements.

David 

wedgy replied on 27/03/2024 16:45

Posted on 06/03/2024 17:57 by DavidKlyne

Just an update on my motorhome renewal. Just had a conversation with Devitt and asked what would make a difference to the premium. We went through several things and decided to remove Margaret as second driver as she would never drive the motorhome. I was under the misapprehension that insurance was cheaper with two drivers, obviously not. I changed the annual mileage down to 3000 miles, we haven't done more than that since we have had this motorhome. Finally I agreed to a small voluntary excess of £100 on top of the £400 policy excess as in reality I would unlikely to involve the insurance company for anything under £500? So with all these changes I managed to reduce the the premium from £749  down to £568 which was a bit lower than the quote I got from Comfort. So there are things you can do to reduce the quote if it fits in with your requirements.

David 

Posted on 27/03/2024 16:45

Hi David why didn't you go with Caravan Guard for £449 ? I don't think Devitt deserve your cash after you have done all the hard work and reduced the cover being provided. Just my opinion 🤷 

DavidKlyne replied on 27/03/2024 20:30

Posted on 27/03/2024 20:30

Wedgy

Perhaps I am a creature of habit and like to stick with what I know, maybe doesn't do me any favours? I think also because it seemed to be a lot lower than other quotes I was a bit suspicious as to why? Not a company I have ever dealt with.

David

manxmike replied on 30/03/2024 08:43

Posted on 30/03/2024 08:43

I got my renewal notice from Adrian Flux and then an email from CAMC offering to beat any quote by £25. I duly filled out the form and was surprised to get a quote that was almost double the renewal price from Flux.

Strange way to offer £25 cheaper by nearly doubling the price.

I think I'll stick with Flux . . . . .

bill replied on 23/04/2024 10:25

Posted on 23/04/2024 10:25

When I got my campervan I got a horrendous insurance quote from the CAMC.  In desperation I looked at a comparison website and guess who was second cheapest ?  CAMC !  Apparently the CAMC use 3 different insurers but don't seem to quote the cheapest even though I confirmed that the cover was identical.

DavidKlyne replied on 23/04/2024 15:45

Posted on 23/04/2024 15:45

Bill

Don't know if you saw my post upthread but you can get reductions for lower annual mileage if that is an option for you. I also removed my wife as a second driver (as she would never drive the motorhome) which also reduced the annual renewal. Those two suggestions are, of course, only useful to you if they fit is with your general motorhoming.

David

bill replied on 28/04/2024 11:05

Posted on 23/04/2024 15:45 by DavidKlyne

Bill

Don't know if you saw my post upthread but you can get reductions for lower annual mileage if that is an option for you. I also removed my wife as a second driver (as she would never drive the motorhome) which also reduced the annual renewal. Those two suggestions are, of course, only useful to you if they fit is with your general motorhoming.

David

Posted on 28/04/2024 11:05

Thank you for that David but I am now on my own and do a quoted fairly low mileage.  I was just astonished that there was £170 difference between 2 companies being recommended by the same broker (i.e. CAMC) on exactly the same terms and conditions.  I was at a CAMC meeting last Saturday with Nick Lomas present and mentioned this and he was not aware that this happened.

With the membership of the CAMC now at 65% motorhomes and campervans the insurance of them is going to be huge business for the 'club'.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook