How to thrive on a non 240v site!

Merve replied on 16/01/2017 17:56

Posted on 16/01/2017 17:56

Due to difficulties migrating the original thread, which was massively interesting and popular with members, I am starting another one until the original can be found and  migrated to the Forum.  I apologise to the original OP but I think this is far too important not to be available. Personally, I think, because of the massive moves in technology recently, this subject should have a section by itself. I don't suppose the CC would think about that? So, anything about Solar Panels, LED lighting, Inverters, Safefill even. Anything that assists the caravanners to go off grid in fact - and saves money!!

davetommo replied on 15/07/2020 21:11

Posted on 15/07/2020 16:10 by cyberyacht

We arrived in drizzle and  did have a fair bit of rain whilst there. The field, although fairly level, is at the top of a hill so I deduced that gravity would do its thing. I took the precaution of putting track mats under all the wheels and we did sink a bit, particularly the front axle. Had I not done so, backing out of the trough might have induced wheelspin. How do you lot think the 7th Armoured Division got on? 

Posted on 15/07/2020 21:11

“How do you lot think the 7th Armoured Division got on?”

Maybe the tracks help

davetommo replied on 15/07/2020 21:19

Posted on 15/07/2020 09:35 by EmilysDad

complete opposite on the CL we were at last year. Large A Class drove onto the wet field, pointed down the hill & tried to reverse into position ... needless to say the driven wheels (FWD) just span and she would've continued to spin up to her axles if she'd not been stopped. Despite the huge field, she'd not left enough room between her & the hedge to get the farmer's tractor in, so the poor farmer had to crawl under the back to get his towing strap onto her rear axle. And she still needed guidance of how to steer when being dragged backwards. 🙄

Clueless springs to mind!

Posted on 15/07/2020 21:19

Used to drive a 16 ton truck across fields regular with a truck designed for putting telephone poles up. But only did it in summer on rock hard fields

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 16/07/2020 08:19

Posted on 15/07/2020 21:11 by davetommo

“How do you lot think the 7th Armoured Division got on?”

Maybe the tracks help

Posted on 16/07/2020 08:19

I think they did good. . .In the desert. . .Which is dry. . .Without rainfall. I’m struggling with the comparison here🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

Dick Dastardly replied on 16/07/2020 22:06

Posted on 16/07/2020 08:19 by Rocky 2 buckets

I think they did good. . .In the desert. . .Which is dry. . .Without rainfall. I’m struggling with the comparison here🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

Posted on 16/07/2020 22:06

As with any terrain, some of it will be difficult to traverse.  Tracks are used (both in boggy and desert conditions) to prevent sinking and to maintain traction.  

Probably the greatest cinematic example [see what I did there?] would be 'Ice Cold in Alex', where John MIlls navigates his ambulance across the desert (using tracks where necessary) to reach his pint of Carlsberg in Alexandria.  

Cyber, I was stationed at RAF North Luffenham and RAF Cottesmore in my day - Rutland Water is a beautiful part of the country.  

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook