Member Offer: My Esso Card

RowenaBCAMC replied on 22/11/2018 14:32

Posted on 22/11/2018 14:32

Hi everyone,

We wanted you to be the first to know about a new member offer with My Esso Card. The My Esso Card is a fuel card that provides savings at 1,300 Esso fuel stations to help drive down the cost of touring. Members are guaranteed to save on fuel at every Esso station across the UK with the only consumer facing fuel card.

We are the only organisation within the touring industry able to provide this offer to members.  

What is the saving?

On average members will typically save 8p per litre on premium diesel or unleaded fuel and 5p per litre on standard diesel or unleaded fuel. That’s a typical saving of £5.60 per tank on premium fuel or £3.50 on standard fuel (based on 70 litre tank of fuel).

The saving varies based on the My Esso Card special rate and the Esso pump price rate. In the unlikely event that the pump price is lower than the My Esso Card special rate members are guaranteed to save 1p per litre on the pump price. You can use the My Esso Card to fill up all your vehicles, not just the one you tour with.

There are no fees to sign up and no transaction or processing fees. You can also earn your Tesco Clubcard points when filling up.  

We are also running a competition for members for a chance to win free fuel.

To launch this great new offer, My Esso Card are giving Caravan and Motorhome Club members an exclusive chance to win free fuel. 10 lucky winners will win 175 litres of fuel and another 10 lucky winners 75 litres of fuel!  Members need to register for a card and fill by 31 December 2018 to be entered into the random prize draw.  Winners will automatically have the fuel credit added to their My Esso Card account.

To find out more about this member offer visit My Esso Card Member Offer on the Club website 

Bakers2 replied on 28/12/2018 11:06

Posted on 28/12/2018 11:06

Well out of interest, and having few minutes to spare I did click on the link. My impression was savings on pump prices, indeed that's what's stated. Thus to me it would include VAT as that is included in the pump price. I certainly couldn't see any mention of VAT but I did not delve deeper.

I went to comment on the story and low however I tried I only got the page not found. Where has it gone? If it's been moved to discussions I cant see it. 

Oh the deep Joy's of this forum 

Edit I see EasyT managed to comment in the story at 1100, my edit started 1107 😟😂😂 so I must have been searching even closer to EasyT's post!

2nd edit it's now disappeared from latest stories. Stranger and stranger! Is it because it's considered very negative if its truthful?? 

Rufs replied on 28/12/2018 11:12

Posted on 28/12/2018 10:51 by Bakers2

I agree Husky but unless you're in business VAT is part of the price on the ticket or in this case the pump, Joe Public cannot reclaim it. Unless VAT is mentioned in the offer it probably wouldn't occur to most that it wouldn't be included - this saving to them would be on the pump price on the board or pump.

Considering the price we pay for fuel is heavy on tax, I presume the margins are tight and rely on volume sales??? Thus 5 - 8p a litre is huge and Rowena quotes over £5 a tank, so although I didn't explore the offer myself VAT flashed through my mind.

Has anyone else had the issue? I was intrigued by an invoice being quoted? I'd assumed the amount would be deducted from your debit card otherwise the work involved in issuing invoices would be astonishing!

Posted on 28/12/2018 11:12

think people are overly complicating the Esso Card, I have one and have used it and it is very simple 1, you pay the price per ltr quoted each friday received via a text message, which is my case was 8p cheaper than my nearest Shell station, 2. you pay using your Esso card using your pin which is available on your profile page on the Esso Card site, you need to register and log in, 3. in my case 5 days later my current account was debited the cost, e.g. in my case 50 ltrs at 26 pence. Its not rocket science, but it does save money in my case £8 and Esso garage is only 2 miles from home, so no problems, love it.   

Bakers2 replied on 28/12/2018 11:14

Posted on 28/12/2018 11:14

Rufus I way I skim read this morning that's how I assumed it would work.

I was looking for the story to ask the poster if he received the correct card.

Rufs replied on 28/12/2018 11:15

Posted on 28/12/2018 11:12 by Rufs

think people are overly complicating the Esso Card, I have one and have used it and it is very simple 1, you pay the price per ltr quoted each friday received via a text message, which is my case was 8p cheaper than my nearest Shell station, 2. you pay using your Esso card using your pin which is available on your profile page on the Esso Card site, you need to register and log in, 3. in my case 5 days later my current account was debited the cost, e.g. in my case 50 ltrs at 26 pence. Its not rocket science, but it does save money in my case £8 and Esso garage is only 2 miles from home, so no problems, love it.   

Posted on 28/12/2018 11:15

sorry that should be £1.26 pence per ltr laughing

Bakers2 replied on 28/12/2018 11:17

Posted on 28/12/2018 11:12 by Rufs

Posted on 28/12/2018 11:17

But did you manage to read the story before it vanished?

Basically poster got an invoice to which VAT was added to the pump price, as I read it, making the bill greater than expected.

Surfer replied on 28/12/2018 11:21

Posted on 28/12/2018 11:21

Well we filled up the vehicle last Wednesday or 10 days ago and our account still has not been debited by Esso and no sign of it being debited over the weekend. 

Consequently this morning we topped by at a Gulf service station which was £0.01p more than the Esso discounted price as we did not want two debits hanging around for weeks on end especially towards the month end.

Rufs replied on 28/12/2018 11:23

Posted on 26/12/2018 12:16 by Navigateur

As many people have alread pointed out, the uptake on this offer has far exceeded the level of demand that was expected.  I wonder how this will affect how generous the discount will actually be in future.

My reasoning is that the sales through the card are a sort of "base load" to give a continual steady sale of products to make the running of the whole import/refining/distribution system financially viable. If the "base load" was not there then the more profitable retail sales would have to be made at a much higher price to cover the overheads.

For fleet owners it is possible to give added value in terms of all sorts of analysis to keep them using that brand while the price creeps up, but really none of that will be of use to individual purchasers.

Posted on 28/12/2018 11:23

this is just another negative analagy, even if you have the card and e.g. diesel is cheaper at your local supermarket, then simple, dont use your card use the supermarketundecided   

Rufs replied on 28/12/2018 11:26

Posted on 28/12/2018 11:21 by Surfer

Well we filled up the vehicle last Wednesday or 10 days ago and our account still has not been debited by Esso and no sign of it being debited over the weekend. 

Consequently this morning we topped by at a Gulf service station which was £0.01p more than the Esso discounted price as we did not want two debits hanging around for weeks on end especially towards the month end.

Posted on 28/12/2018 11:26

cant see your problem really, to me this is interest free creditwink

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook