Bailey of Bristol Sahara Challenge in association with the Caravan and Motorhome Club
Bailey of Bristol is to embark on a new 3,500-mile intercontinental caravan and motorhome adventure to the Sahara Desert
- The ‘Sahara Challenge’ will set off from the company’s South Liberty Lane production facility in Bristol, travel through Spain and Portugal across the Strait of Gibraltar into Morocco over the Atlas Mountains and as far south as the edge of the Sahara Desert before returning home
- The journey will be undertaken using two Bailey caravans, pulled by SsangYong towing vehicles, and one motorhome. The Sahara Challenge will take 20 days to complete with the team experiencing a wide range of road and weather conditions en route
- Bailey’s patented Alu-Tech design technology creates vehicles which are more robust, more durable and yet light, offering greater protection against the elements – they will be perfect to meet the varying challenges on the trip
- To date over 65,000 leisure vehicles have been built using the ground-breaking Bailey Alu-Tech construction system
- This will be the fourth real-life long distance test Bailey has undertaken in recent times. The Sahara Challenge follows successful trips across the Australian Outback (‘West to East Challenge’), to the Arctic Circle (‘Arctic Adventure’) and to Asia (‘Bristanbul Challenge’)
- Regular updates on the team’s progress will be posted on the Bailey of Bristol website as well as on the company’s Facebook, Twitter and Instagram feeds (#SaharaChallenge). Updates will also appear on all Caravan and Motorhome Club social platforms
Bailey of Bristol, in association with the Caravan and Motorhome Club, will be embarking on a new and inspiring 3,500-mile intercontinental caravan and motorhome adventure in March.
The ‘Sahara Challenge’ will set off from the company’s South Liberty Lane production facility in Bristol, travel through Spain and Portugal across the Strait of Gibraltar into Morocco over the Atlas Mountains and as far south as the edge of the Sahara Desert – the birthplace of the original caravans – before returning home.
This time the company will be taking two caravans (a pair of Discovery D4-4 models) pulled by SsangYong towing vehicles and one motorhome (an Alliance SE 76-4T). The marathon journey will take 20 days to complete with the team experiencing a range of potentially extreme road and weather conditions along the way.
As with all Bailey leisure vehicles, the ‘Sahara Challenge’ caravans and motorhome are built using the company’s patented Alu-Tech body shell construction system. This award winning technology creates vehicles that are more robust, more durable and yet lighter than those manufactured using conventional methods to keep owners comfortable, safe and secure all year round. To date over 65,000 Bailey caravans and motorhomes have been built using this method and are currently being enjoyed all over the world.
This latest long-distance endurance test follows three similar journeys taken with Bailey leisure vehicles in recent years:
West to East Challenge 2015: 3,500 miles from the west coast to the east coast of Australia through the centre of the country with two Bailey Alu-Tech caravans
Arctic Adventure 2017: 5,000 miles from the UK to Northern Finland inside the Arctic Circle and back with two Bailey Alu-Tech caravans and one motorhome
Bristol to Bosphorus 2018: 5,000 miles from the UK to Istanbul and back, taking in 21 countries in 21 days with two Bailey Alu-Tech caravans and one motorhome
The Sahara Challenge vehicles will be driven by, amongst others: Simon Howard (Marketing Director, Bailey of Bristol); Nick Lomas (Director General, the Caravan and Motorhome Club); Lee Davey (Freelance Journalist and Bailey Brand Ambassador); and Andy Torbet (Outdoor Adventurer and new Bailey Brand Ambassador). Throughout the journey, the core team will be also joined by a wide range of guests including media representatives from both inside and outside the industry.
Talking about the forthcoming trip Bailey Marketing Director Simon Howard, said:
“Since the introduction of our Alu-Tech construction system over ten years ago we have continued put our leisure vehicles through their paces both on the proving grounds and cold chambers, as well as on a series of real-life tests across the globe.”
“In addition to providing a thorough technical examination of our products, the twenty-day adventure will also show that you are really only limited by your imagination as to where a caravan or motorhome can take you, and that we love using our vehicles as much as our customers do.”
Nick Lomas, Caravan and Motorhome Club Director General said, “We are delighted to be supporting the Sahara Challenge. Here at the Caravan and Motorhome Club we want to encourage as many people as possible to have leisure vehicle adventures – whether they are touring 3,500 miles or 35 miles – we want to inspire future generations of new touring holidaymakers. The Sahara Challenge will be the adventure of a lifetime, there will be varying weather and road conditions, there will also be so many iconic sights and landmarks to experience along the way. Leisure vehicles really open up the world for adventure.”
As they travel towards the Sahara, the team will post regular blogs/vlogs and social media updates via the Bailey and the Caravan and Motorhome Club social media channels using #SaharaChallenge
Bailey of Bristol would like to thank the following organisations, in addition to the Caravan and Motorhome Club and SsangYong, for their support of the Sahara Challenge: AL-KO Kober, Avtex, Bodyrag, CGI Graphics, Caravan Times, Dometic, Gaslow, Milenco, Nextbase, PRIMA Leisure, rCup, Thetford, TyrePal and Wheel Solutions Ltd.
Media Contacts - for press information, imagery, or to request an interview, please contact:
Wes Terry, Marketing Communications Executive at Bailey of Bristol is available on 0117 428 6305 / 07904 790581 or via email: email@example.com
Nikki Nichol, External Communications Manager at the Caravan and Motorhome Club is available on 01342 336 797 / 07771 834 443 or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors:
About Bailey of Bristol
- The Bailey of Bristol website contains full details of its caravan and motorhome ranges as well as all the latest company news and information: baileyofbristol.co.uk
- Founded in 1948, Bailey of Bristol is the longest established UK independent manufacturer with over 70 years’ experience in leisure vehicle production and design. During this period our family-owned business has grown to become not only the manufacturer of the UK’s most popular caravan brand, but also one of the largest in Europe. In 2011, the company brought this same level of expertise to the motorhome world, as well as expanding to new export markets in Australia, New Zealand and South Korea.
- With more Bailey leisure vehicles on the road in the UK than any other, our company has earned its place as The Nation's Favourite. The signature build quality, comprehensive specification and superb value for money combine to set us apart from the competition and will ensure people will continue to ‘Go Bailey’ for many years’ to come.
- Ten years’ ago the company introduced the Alu-Tech body shell construction system, which is seen by most observers as the most significant development in leisure vehicle production technology for three decades. Providing genuine design innovation, this fully patented technology means that Bailey leisure vehicles are now some of the best engineered and most technically advanced on the market, keeping owners comfortable, safe and secure, no matter how tough the conditions.
- freedomtogo.co.uk: As a leading UK manufacturer, Bailey of Bristol is a keen supporter of the ‘Freedom to Go’ campaign developed by the caravan and motorhome industry to help people discover and plan their next adventure or relaxing escape. It offers inspiring ideas on where to go on holiday, and what to do when you get there, plus helpful advice, such as comparing whether a caravan or motorhome is the right and affordable choice.
About the Caravan and Motorhome Club
Champions of the great outdoors – from glamping to touring – the Caravan and Motorhome Club represents the interests of around one million caravan, motorhome, campervan and trailer tent owners across the UK. Founded in 1907, the Caravan and Motorhome Club has a wealth of experience and prides itself on offering great value and high quality campsites for tourers and glampers.
Caravan and Motorhome Club membership is just £54 per year and provides members with access to 2700 quality campsites in the UK and overseas.
The Club offers over 340 campsites across Europe including France, Spain and Germany amongst other destinations. All members can take advantage of expert advice, overseas travel services, great ferry offers, cover and insurance and exclusive member offers and discounts.
The Club offers a choice of glamping accommodation, motorhome hire and tent camping through its Experience Freedom operation, all of which are available to non-members. Caravan and Motorhome Club members receive a 10% discount on glamping and 15% discount on motorhome hire. To find out more about Experience Freedom, visit www.experiencefreedom.co.uk
For further information about becoming a member of the Caravan and Motorhome Club, please visit www.camc.com or call 01342 318 813.
SsangYong cars are manufactured in South Korea by SsangYong Motor, which is 73 per cent owned by the Indian engineering conglomerate Mahindra & Mahindra and imported into the UK by SsangYong Motor UK. Established in 1954, SsangYong is Korea's oldest vehicle manufacturer and only 4x4 and SUV specialist producer.
There are currently some 65 SsangYong dealers covering England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales, with new locations being added to the network all the time.