Taking your pet to Europe and Northern Ireland after Brexit

We've compiled everything you need to know about taking your pet abroad. Find out more about pet passports, vaccinations and returning to the UK.

Pet travel documentation for Europe and Northern Ireland after Brexit

This information applies to people travelling with their pet cats, ferrets or dogs, including assistance dogs. If you're travelling with any other pets you should check the national rules of the country that you are planning to visit for information on entry conditions.

From 1 January 2021, a current EU pet passport issued in GB will not be valid for travel to the EU or Northern Ireland (NI).

Before your pet can travel to the EU or Northern Ireland for the first time after 1 January 2021

You’ll need to take these steps to get an Animal Health Certificate (AHC) instead of a pet passport.

  • Your pet must be microchipped.
  • Your pet must be vaccinated against rabies – your pet must be at least 12 weeks old before it can be vaccinated.
  • Wait 21 days after the primary vaccination before travel.
  • Visit your vet to get an AHC for your pet, no more than 10 days before travel to the EU or NI.
  • As long as you keep your pet's rabies vaccinations up to date, you will not need to get repeat vaccinations for repeat trips to the EU or NI. 


Getting an animal health certificate (AHC) for travel to EU or Northern Ireland

Within 10 days of your travel date, take your pet to an official vet who is permitted to sign and issue AHC's. Take proof of your pet’s microchipping date and vaccination history.

Your pet's AHC will be valid for:

  • 10 days after the issue date for entry into the EU or NI
  • Onward travel within the EU or NI for 4 months after the date of issue
  • Re-entry to GB for 4 months after the date of issue


Travelling with your dog directly to the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland
Your dog must have treatment against tapeworm (Echinococcus Multilocularis) between 1 to 5 days before arriving in Ireland. Your vet must log full details on the AHC following the treatment.


Arriving in the EU or Northern Ireland
Travellers with pets will need to enter through a designated Travellers' Point of Entry (TPE) where you may need to present your pet's original AHC along with proof of: 

  • Your pet’s microchip
  • Rabies vaccination
  • Tapeworm treatment (if required)

The Eurotunnel terminal and all of the ferry ports booked by the Club are designated TPEs.

Repeat trips to the EU or NI

  • Your pet will need a new AHC for each trip to the EU or NI.
  • Take your pet to an official vet no more than 10 days before you travel and show proof of your pet’s microchipping date and rabies vaccination history.
  • If your pet has an up-to-date vaccination history, it will not need a repeat rabies vaccination before travelling again.
  • You’ll need tapeworm treatment if you’re travelling to the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland.


Returning to Great Britain

There are no changes to the current health preparations for pets entering GB from 1 January 2021. Your pet must have one of the following documents when returning to GB from the EU:

  • An EU pet passport (issued in the EU, or in GB before 1 January 2021)
  • The AHC issued in GB used to travel to the EU – which you can use up to 4 months after it was issued
  • A UK pet health certificate (issued outside the UK for travel into GB only)

Dogs should have a tapeworm treatment between 24 and 120 hours before entering Great Britain. This treatment must be approved for use in the country where it is applied and contain praziquantel or an equivalent proven to be effective against tapeworm (Echinococcus Multilocularis).

Your pet will not need this documentation or tapeworm treatment if entering GB directly from Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland.

You can travel with up to five pets with an Animal Health Certificate. If there are more than five pets you must either provide proof that they are participating in a competition, exhibition or sporting event or comply with animal health rules which apply to the commercial import of animals into the EU.  

For more details please check GOV.UK or with your vet.

You may also be interested in

Driving in Europe

Check that you've got the correct documents and insurance to drive in Europe after Brexit

Find out more

Passports and visas

Read our advice for passports, visas and EHIC/GHIC cards when visiting EU countries after Brexit

Find out more
Dog laying outside on lead

Travelling with pets

Advice on taking pets abroad, see how to find a vet and learn travel restrictions.

Read our advice