A Conversation at the NEC

GoneRoving replied on 23/02/2023 19:07

Posted on 23/02/2023 19:07

I’ve just returned from the Caravan, Camping & Motorhome Show Athena NEC. While there, I visited the CAMC site and asked if there was an Executive Committee member available for me to meet. I was introduced to such a person and I explained I had some concerns which led me to be dissatisfied with the Club

Although in the course of the conversation I was able to raise several moans I have about the CAMC, it was the first issue that we discussed that I found most interesting. This is the cost of staying on CAMC sites which, I feel, is very high. I learnt that the cost of electricity and, more especially, the considerable amount been used by members is a real issue at the present time. If I understood correctly, last year there was a significant loss running sites due to this. Apparently folk are consuming a lot of electricity during their stay. An example that was referred to is the heating of awnings. I suggested that if the cost of pitch fees was high, then people staying on sites were going to feel incentivised to use a lot of electricity. Maybe, I also suggested, if the expense of staying was reduced and a reminder or campaign to drive electricity use down was put in place a 'sweet spot could be achieved. (“Sweet spot” seemed to become my word of the day!) I did suggest that aim of a ‘club ethos’ over such a matter is possible, although I felt that my interlocutor felt I was rather naive. I’m left thinking that site fees include an element a premium to deal with the loss I’ve mentioned earlier.

My other issues are those others have raised: the disincentive provided by the new booking system and the new payment of a deposit. 

In the course of the conversation I was told I was the first person to have raised any issues about the Club since the show had opened which was three days ago. I also learnt that this particular committee member believes that there are about forty regular critics of the Club who use Club Together. With over 3500,000 members the voice of so few doesn’t carry much weight. That was my impression.

I am grateful for the discussion I had and I hope I have not misrepresented what as said.

GEandGJE replied on 28/02/2023 16:27

Posted on 26/02/2023 17:56 by JollyKernow

Here's an example from my site, 90 pitches, no toilet block. Last year (2022) we had an increase in consumption of 20% on the 2021 season. Ok you might say, new toys etc, but, the occupancy was 30% less than'21, so people are using more. With the electric price rise we ended up with a bill of 3 times the projected budget.

JK

Posted on 28/02/2023 16:27

Maybe be that consumption was higher in 2022 as we were still in lockdown for part of 2021, how quickly we forget, so the comparison is against a full year and part year.

Maybe the occupancy rate was up in 2021 because as we came out of lockdown everybody wanted to get out and tour and if you remember back it was very differcult to get a pitch  anywhere.

Would be interesting if you have the stats for 2019, which was the last full year to compare against 2022.

JollyKernow replied on 28/02/2023 17:55

Posted on 28/02/2023 16:27 by GEandGJE

Maybe be that consumption was higher in 2022 as we were still in lockdown for part of 2021, how quickly we forget, so the comparison is against a full year and part year.

Maybe the occupancy rate was up in 2021 because as we came out of lockdown everybody wanted to get out and tour and if you remember back it was very differcult to get a pitch  anywhere.

Would be interesting if you have the stats for 2019, which was the last full year to compare against 2022.

Posted on 28/02/2023 17:55

The majority of sites open mid March and close the 1st week in November. The 2021 lockdown only affected this site by 12 days as we always open end of March but we opened on 12th April. Last year we opened 3 days longer than '21 so my comparison is only "out" by 9 days. I consider that pretty accurate.

Last years occupancy figures were 10% higher than 2019 but I don't have the electricity consumption figures or cost.

JK

scottie dog replied on 02/03/2023 19:50

Posted on 23/02/2023 19:07 by GoneRoving

I’ve just returned from the Caravan, Camping & Motorhome Show Athena NEC. While there, I visited the CAMC site and asked if there was an Executive Committee member available for me to meet. I was introduced to such a person and I explained I had some concerns which led me to be dissatisfied with the Club

Although in the course of the conversation I was able to raise several moans I have about the CAMC, it was the first issue that we discussed that I found most interesting. This is the cost of staying on CAMC sites which, I feel, is very high. I learnt that the cost of electricity and, more especially, the considerable amount been used by members is a real issue at the present time. If I understood correctly, last year there was a significant loss running sites due to this. Apparently folk are consuming a lot of electricity during their stay. An example that was referred to is the heating of awnings. I suggested that if the cost of pitch fees was high, then people staying on sites were going to feel incentivised to use a lot of electricity. Maybe, I also suggested, if the expense of staying was reduced and a reminder or campaign to drive electricity use down was put in place a 'sweet spot could be achieved. (“Sweet spot” seemed to become my word of the day!) I did suggest that aim of a ‘club ethos’ over such a matter is possible, although I felt that my interlocutor felt I was rather naive. I’m left thinking that site fees include an element a premium to deal with the loss I’ve mentioned earlier.

My other issues are those others have raised: the disincentive provided by the new booking system and the new payment of a deposit. 

In the course of the conversation I was told I was the first person to have raised any issues about the Club since the show had opened which was three days ago. I also learnt that this particular committee member believes that there are about forty regular critics of the Club who use Club Together. With over 3500,000 members the voice of so few doesn’t carry much weight. That was my impression.

I am grateful for the discussion I had and I hope I have not misrepresented what as said.

Posted on 02/03/2023 19:50

I am shocked at the price increase on club sites and I will be looking at other sites. I have read the other comments and see the rise is due too the prices in electric and metre’s being installed. Will a financial system be put in place for the wardens who receive free pitches and electric when they go off on their break and park up on other club sites for their holidays over the season . A system needs sorted where they get a discount for holidaying on sites and not free. 

Wherenext replied on 03/03/2023 16:11

Posted on 03/03/2023 16:11

And these 2 gripes are somehow related? How?

Meters are only being "trialled" at 2 sites this year and no final decision has been taken on installing them nationwide, as yet.

With regard to Wardens I have absolutely no problem with them receiving a free pitch, if that is what happens. They have to put up with so much c*** from members that a free pitch seems the least the club can do in recompense. Seeing as some club sites suffered from unplanned closures last year from a lack of wardens I think the last thing that should be happening is removing perks. In fact they should get more.

DavidKlyne replied on 03/03/2023 20:20

Posted on 03/03/2023 16:11 by Wherenext

And these 2 gripes are somehow related? How?

Meters are only being "trialled" at 2 sites this year and no final decision has been taken on installing them nationwide, as yet.

With regard to Wardens I have absolutely no problem with them receiving a free pitch, if that is what happens. They have to put up with so much c*** from members that a free pitch seems the least the club can do in recompense. Seeing as some club sites suffered from unplanned closures last year from a lack of wardens I think the last thing that should be happening is removing perks. In fact they should get more.

Posted on 03/03/2023 20:20

I seem to recall a post on one of the Facebook Groups saying that some warden benefits were cut back on during COVID but I have no idea whether they have been restored to the previous level. I tend to agree that any warden benefits are just part of the remuneration for the job. Being retired I still am entitled to some very generous benefits from my ex employees so it's not uncommon. Also if the truth be know I doubt whether any benefits site staff get impacts very much on availability on Club sites.

David

JollyKernow replied on 03/03/2023 20:41

Posted on 03/03/2023 20:20 by DavidKlyne

I seem to recall a post on one of the Facebook Groups saying that some warden benefits were cut back on during COVID but I have no idea whether they have been restored to the previous level. I tend to agree that any warden benefits are just part of the remuneration for the job. Being retired I still am entitled to some very generous benefits from my ex employees so it's not uncommon. Also if the truth be know I doubt whether any benefits site staff get impacts very much on availability on Club sites.

David

Posted on 03/03/2023 20:41

Apart from an hourly rate there are many more benefits to this role DK, that's what makes it attractive. None of those impact at all as the paying customer always comes first. Been like that since I started. 

JK

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook