Has the club made the right move?

tr54tds replied on 19/08/2023 18:02

Posted on 19/08/2023 18:02

I'm just wondering if anyone else feels the same as me. I understand that before deposits were introduced some people block booked popular sites and didn't arrive for those they didn't want which kept others from using them. I for one got annoyed at this. But my recent experience has left me with a bad taste in my mouth. On Thursday 18th August I made a booking for Clumber Park for 5 night from Sunday 20th August, thinking I could correct it if through my busy life I needed to amend it. I was surprised to learn I now needed to leave a deposit but oh well i did it anyway. When my wife came home from work she made me realise I needed to reduce the nights in favour of staying somewhere else prior so making our journey broken up. When trying to amend, it seemed I was being charged £16. We decided to call the club to see what we could do, only to be told we had to stand to the charge or lose the £20 deposit. They did waiver the charge after long discussions but after rethinking we have decided to not turn up and lose the deposit as it now doesn't fit with our travel plans. I am now thinking of cancelling my membership as I can't get along with this system as last minute bookings suit us and sometimes we need to change because of our busy lifestyles. I didn't sign up to the travel industry but a club which now seems to be into just making money. I also don't agree with being charged for visitors that also seems wrong to me. This along with the increase in prices leaves me thinking that I'm getting a hotel rather than a piece of turf (forgive the exaggeration). I think the club need to rethink what they are doing, there are other ways of stopping block booking like limiting how many bookings can be made or asking for deposits if making many bookings but for general bookings this new system is completely out of order and insensitive to customers who need to change plans, amend bookings and cancel sometimes. Does anyone else feel the same as we do?

DSB replied on 09/09/2023 10:36

Posted on 07/09/2023 20:55 by DavidKlyne

David

It does beg the question as to what the Club see as something that should be refunded? I have just read a review on the Start Bay site and I quote part:-

"Sadly 4 days into the holiday I took poorly. We had to get home quickly as I needed emergency eye surgery for a detached retina so we left the caravan on the pitch. My husband had to travel back down (from Northumberland)a couple of days after my op to collect the caravan. Disappointingly we were charged a £110 early cancellation fee as we didn’t give them 3 days notice only 2. Considering we had paid over £700 for a 2 week stay and hadn’t left by choice we were a bit gutted. We did appeal but to no avail. All in all not one of our better holidays" 

Now, obviously, I am not in a position to confirm the facts as I can only go be what has been written but I think most would agree that a Detached Retina is a pretty serious condition? I also appreciate that it is the balance of a holiday rather than just a deposit but surely the same amount of generosity should be applied to both situations but clearly the Club see it differently. 

David

Posted on 09/09/2023 10:36

I agree David.  A detatched retina seems like a good enough reason.  Perhaps there is a reason why... or perhaps the appeals people were not aware ofcthexfull story??

Sorry to read about Margarets ongoing chip problem and that you've had to canel a trip out.  Good wishes to you both.

David

MikeyA replied on 10/09/2023 15:33

Posted on 10/09/2023 15:33

I am very surprised that the caravanners mentioned above by DK drove all the way home to Northumberland. For those of you who are unaware of the seriousness of a detached retina, let me recount my own experience.

It all started one afternoon during the early days of Covid, Wednesday 28th April 2020 to be exact. Mid afternoon, whilst sat on the settee, I suddenly thought "My nose seems to have grown! Realising it hadn't I decided to ring the Optician at our local Asda the following morning. Early the following morning I did ring and the receptionist said that due to Covid they were not accepting any patients but she promised the Optician would ring as soon as he arrived

The Optician called before 10.00am and he was brilliant. He quickly diagnosed the likelihood that it was a detached retina and that it was very serious and potentially life changing. Asking me to describe if the fuzziness was still in the lower part of my eye, he stated if this fuzziness had already reached the centre of my eye then it was already too late and I would lose sight in that eye. It needed urgent surgery 

He needed to contact the local NHS trust who would contact me later that day. They rang early pm and gave an appointment with local  NHs top ophthalmologist for the next day.

The following day the Ophthalmologist  agreed with the Asda man and he then rang the Eye Hospital in Liverpool. I was then told if I could get to Liverpool by 1.00pm they would operate that afternoon 

So a few hours later I was in theatre with a surgeon drilling lots of holes in my eye in order to inject gas to push the retina back into place. It was amazing to be able to see the end of the drill bit actually turning whilst in my eye and then later the thread used in stitching 

So luckily my sight was saved. I do think that it would have 24hrs sooner if not for Covid. Without doubt time is of the essence with such eye problems

DavidKlyne replied on 10/09/2023 19:27

Posted on 10/09/2023 19:27

MikeyA

I wouldn't disagree but you can only go by what has been written in comments and take them at face value? It would seem sensible to seek local help but some people are not comfortable being in strange places and might prefer to go back to where they are familiar, albeit with the risk associated with it? I suppose we will never know as its unlikely the poster of the review is familiar with Club Together? Glad you had a good outcome to your issue.

David

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook