Pricing is a minefield

BertyMH replied on 13/02/2023 12:55

Posted on 13/02/2023 12:55

Comparing Club sites to CL sites from a pricing angle can be very misleading. Don't be fooled by the prices on the club site like I was. It looks like the club, or "massive holiday corporation," as I now like to call it, is trying to lure members to its club sites (which of course is good for their revenue) by advertising the lowest possible price for a club site pitch.

The headline (advertised) prices for club sites assume that we punters are travelling alone, don't need electricity or an awning, and are happy with a grass pitch. I know that some people are OK with a grass pitch, but in my experience the vast majority would rather have EHU, and unless they are just stopping for the night, many want to set up an awning or canopy of some kind.

But what really bothers me is that 95% of members travel with another adult rather than by themselves. So, basing the price of a pitch for a club site on a single adult sounds like something Ryanair would do. Even worse, it's very unfair to the CL network, which usually has a simple "Pitch Price" based on two adults and rarely charges extra for things like awnings, children, etc.

For example, I wanted to stay in Dorset for a week. We are a couple of adults who prefer EHU and, now that we are older, a Serviced pitch on hardstanding. Hunters Moon says it is 'From £21.50 - but  in reality in June, a serviced pitch with an awning at the Club's Hunters Moon site costs £43.20/night.

By comparison, a serviced h/s pitch at Cherry Cottage CL in Dorset costs just £21 for two adults (and 2 children). Even though we'd have to pay for extra EHU (unlikely in June), the facilities are almost the same and cost only HALF as much as the club site.

I think it's unfair that Hunters Moon pricing is advertised as £21.50 per night, when it should really show pricing starting at £31.40 per night for a couple.

Looking at TrustPilot it seems I’m not the only one who thinks this way. Perhaps it’s time for the club to be a bit more transparent with its pricing.

KjellNN replied on 16/03/2024 15:54

Posted on 16/03/2024 15:54

When deciding on a site, whether Club, commercial or CL, we always look at what it  will cost for whoever is travelling.  Quite a few commercials just have a pitch price, so if we are taking DD and the 2 boys along, they are often good value, whereas for us alone they may not be.

When looking for sites recently, OH was checking several CLs (our preferred choice) and noticed that some give a price for "pitch and all occupants", with EHU, others say pitch plus 2 adults, though children may, or may not, be free, some charge for awnings while others do not, and others  now have a long price list with a good basic price but extra for extra people, dogs, awning, second car and EHU.

It pays to read everything carefully!

Tinwheeler replied on 21/03/2024 11:04

Posted on 21/03/2024 11:04

Ah, your favourite phrase. 😂

You seem happy to remain a member of a club that you reckon rips off everybody, Free. Therefore, you must be happy to pay so, once again, I say it can’t be a rip off.

Tinwheeler replied on 25/03/2024 08:52

Posted on 25/03/2024 08:52

It’s not a “rip off” if you know exactly what you’re getting for your money but, if you’re not happy to pay the going rate, it’s wise to vote with your feet.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook