2018 Airstream Colarado dilema

Ayf replied on 15/07/2018 19:16

Posted on 15/07/2018 19:16

Good evening all, (and apologies for this long post).

My wife and I have a slight dilema over the purchase of a MY18 Airstream International Colarado. The big problem is that we don't know what car will pull it. (There's also a small matter of insurance companies declining our proposals with only 2 out of 7 quoting so far).

As it goes the standard MTPLM of the Airstream Colarado is 2,400kg and has a manufacturers quoted payload of 265kg, but this reduces to about 32kg when all of the added extras are taken into account (Reich movers, Dometic AC, huge twin batteries, ZipDee Awning, solar, extra gas and water etc). I've done a few figures and it looks as if we will need to increase the MTPLM to its max of 2,680kg just to make it legal to carry a few personal items. Crazy!

I have already read some great advice on the Caravan club site regarding tow car calculations (i.e. the 85% rule) but if I apply that to the purchase of an Airstream Colarado at 2.68T then the results are that a suitable tow car must have a minimum kerb weight of 3,152kg.

The main problem now is that unless I buy something like a secondhand Rangey Sport/Vogue then there is no MY18 car with a suitable kerb weight. As an example, the likes of Range Rover have reduced their vehicle weights quite significantly over the last few years and I'm sure that most other manufacturers will continue to follow suit to help reduce emissions etc

IMO it looks as if Swift and Airstream have initiated the sale of the big Airstreams at a time when the manufacturers are trying to radically reduce their vehicle kerb weights - this is not great for future Airstream owners.

Can anyone give me some advice on which car to purchase or am I ringfenced into buying something secondhand. I'm just wondering if Airstream has introduced something which is not that adaptable for the future UK marketplace. These vans are not cheap and as such we don't want to buy something that becomes a complete pain to own in the future.

Regards to all,

Andrew

P.S. The hitch weight is approx 168kg based on a 2,680kg MTPLM.

Tinwheeler replied on 15/07/2018 19:21

Posted on 15/07/2018 19:21

Sorry, I can’t help, Ayf.

Is the plan to buy an Airstream set in stone or could you buy something more towcar friendly?

Incidentally, the 85% weight ratio is a recommendation, not a rule

Ayf replied on 15/07/2018 19:28

Posted on 15/07/2018 19:21 by Tinwheeler

Sorry, I can’t help, Ayf.

Is the plan to buy an Airstream set in stone or could you buy something more towcar friendly?

Posted on 15/07/2018 19:28

We are motorhomers by trade but this is something which has just taken our fancy. We appreciate that it's a wee bit different and that's what appeals. If we don't purchase the Airstream then we will continue to roam around in the motorhome and enjoy the many Club CLs in our current van.

This is a huge financial buy-in for us so we don't want to make a mistake that we'll regret straight after purchase.

All the best,

Andrew

Ayf replied on 15/07/2018 19:41

Posted on 15/07/2018 19:30 by Tinwheeler

Personally, I think I’d not buy it, Ayf. It’s your choice, obviously, but it sounds fraught with problems to me.

Posted on 15/07/2018 19:41

We've only just met on this forum and I already like your wisdom. My wife and I are thinking the same.

I won't lie to you - I have spent days trying to work out this puzzle and after several consultations with a very helpful dealer then I'm no further forward.

It may interest you to know that no Airstream dealer has sold a Colorado this year (each dealer still has one for sale) so this may be an indicator on just how difficult these things are to purchase and live with.

KjellNN replied on 15/07/2018 19:44

Posted on 15/07/2018 19:44

They are very heavy vans, but do you really need all those extras?

Unless you are planning to be off grid most of the time, could you cut out the "huge twin batteries, solar, extra gas and water" and some of the etceteras?

Carrying water at all is only necessary if you plan to wild camp.

Mover is essential, air con I would not be without, awning of some type, but could it be a lighterweight one?

Our twin axle van is "only" 1900kg max, and even at that weight our choice of towcar was fairly limited.  We do however have a large payload for personal items even with the mover and air con plus bits and pieces we have added taken into account.

Tinwheeler replied on 15/07/2018 19:52

Posted on 15/07/2018 19:41 by Ayf

We've only just met on this forum and I already like your wisdom. My wife and I are thinking the same.

I won't lie to you - I have spent days trying to work this out this puzzle and after several consultations with a very helpful dealer then I'm no further forward.

It may interest you to know that no Airstream dealer has sold a Colorado this year (each dealer still has one for sale) so this may be an indicator on just how difficult these things are to purchase and live with.

Posted on 15/07/2018 19:52

Thanks for the compliment.

I'm a firm believer of keeping things simple and if that means buying run of the mill products, then so be it. I can do without the headaches that come with unusual items.

In terms of caravans or motorhomes, mistakes can be very costly and I’d be very, very wary in your shoes. I know nothing about you but suspect you could end up regretting the purchase.

I don’t know what driving licence entitlement you have and that might be another factor to consider. There's info in the Advice and Training tab at the head of this page.

Good luck with making the right decision for you, whatever that may be.

PS. I’ve just seen the price! Hell's teeth!😱😱😱😱😱

KjellNN replied on 15/07/2018 19:58

Posted on 15/07/2018 19:58

Having looked at the website and the price, I would be more inclined to buy a large MH and tow our Smart behind it!!

Ayf replied on 15/07/2018 20:01

Posted on 15/07/2018 19:44 by KjellNN

They are very heavy vans, but do you really need all those extras?

Unless you are planning to be off grid most of the time, could you cut out the "huge twin batteries, solar, extra gas and water" and some of the etceteras?

Carrying water at all is only necessary if you plan to wild camp.

Mover is essential, air con I would not be without, awning of some type, but could it be a lighterweight one?

Our twin axle van is "only" 1900kg max, and even at that weight our choice of towcar was fairly limited.  We do however have a large payload for personal items even with the mover and air con plus bits and pieces we have added taken into account.

Posted on 15/07/2018 20:01

Thats a great post-up, many thanks indeed. Your van is still a huge beast but at least I know that other guys ate struggling too in terms of vehicle selection. I'm having a real hard time and it looks as if the likes of vehicle kerb weights will reduce further as the years go by. Things will only get worse.

The batteries (50kg), awning (fixed and 40kg), AC (30kg) and movers (64kg) are all standard so it's just the 40kg of water which we can remove.

The missus and I really like the Club CLs and the simpler the better so solar and water (50kg total for both) is a must.

It looks as if this is a big unit with no spare capacity.

The hitch weight is also an issue and the only vehicle I can find to cope with a 170kg hitch weight is a Ford Ranger Wildtrak but with a kerb weight of 1-tonne less than what I need then it's not much cop

Cheers,

Andrew

KjellNN replied on 15/07/2018 20:05

Posted on 15/07/2018 20:05

We still have our now 10 year old Sterling (made by Swift), it has been a great van and we have not seen any newer models that we like better (and could afford).

We tow with a VW Touareg, having traded in our 10 year old Volvo XC90 about 18 months back.

Some of the TA Swifts can get a good weight upgrade to cover the necessary "optional extras".

KjellNN replied on 15/07/2018 20:18

Posted on 15/07/2018 20:01 by Ayf

Thats a great post-up, many thanks indeed. Your van is still a huge beast but at least I know that other guys ate struggling too in terms of vehicle selection. I'm having a real hard time and it looks as if the likes of vehicle kerb weights will reduce further as the years go by. Things will only get worse.

The batteries (50kg), awning (fixed and 40kg), AC (30kg) and movers (64kg) are all standard so it's just the 40kg of water which we can remove.

The missus and I really like the Club CLs and the simpler the better so solar and water (50kg total for both) is a must.

It looks as if this is a big unit with no spare capacity.

The hitch weight is also an issue and the only vehicle I can find to cope with a 170kg hitch weight is a Ford Ranger Wildtrak but with a kerb weight of 1-tonne less than what I need then it's not much cop

Cheers,

Andrew

Posted on 15/07/2018 20:18

How come, if these items are standard fittings, that they are not included in the MIRO?  That is just nonsensical!

I would not consider the water essential, all CLs must have drinking water and disposal facilities, so all you need is a few litres in the toilet tank and a few litres for tea/coffee making en route.  Then fill the tank once you get there.  We have an onboard 40 litre tank, and an Alde heating system.

We have just returned from 13 nights on CLs with no problems, using our own facilities all the time (we have a great shower) but we do always use EHU so have not fitted a solar panel or extra battery.

We have Dometic air con and a Truma Mover.  We used to have a Fiamma Zip on the van, but it died of old age so we now have a lightweight canopy with sides.

For gas we have a refillable Gaslow system, essential when touring abroad for a few months.  We have 2x6 kg capacity bottles, but could manage with one.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook