2018 Airstream Colarado dilema

Ayf replied on 15/07/2018 19:16

Posted on 15/07/2018 19:16

Good evening all, (and apologies for this long post).

My wife and I have a slight dilema over the purchase of a MY18 Airstream International Colarado. The big problem is that we don't know what car will pull it. (There's also a small matter of insurance companies declining our proposals with only 2 out of 7 quoting so far).

As it goes the standard MTPLM of the Airstream Colarado is 2,400kg and has a manufacturers quoted payload of 265kg, but this reduces to about 32kg when all of the added extras are taken into account (Reich movers, Dometic AC, huge twin batteries, ZipDee Awning, solar, extra gas and water etc). I've done a few figures and it looks as if we will need to increase the MTPLM to its max of 2,680kg just to make it legal to carry a few personal items. Crazy!

I have already read some great advice on the Caravan club site regarding tow car calculations (i.e. the 85% rule) but if I apply that to the purchase of an Airstream Colarado at 2.68T then the results are that a suitable tow car must have a minimum kerb weight of 3,152kg.

The main problem now is that unless I buy something like a secondhand Rangey Sport/Vogue then there is no MY18 car with a suitable kerb weight. As an example, the likes of Range Rover have reduced their vehicle weights quite significantly over the last few years and I'm sure that most other manufacturers will continue to follow suit to help reduce emissions etc

IMO it looks as if Swift and Airstream have initiated the sale of the big Airstreams at a time when the manufacturers are trying to radically reduce their vehicle kerb weights - this is not great for future Airstream owners.

Can anyone give me some advice on which car to purchase or am I ringfenced into buying something secondhand. I'm just wondering if Airstream has introduced something which is not that adaptable for the future UK marketplace. These vans are not cheap and as such we don't want to buy something that becomes a complete pain to own in the future.

Regards to all,

Andrew

P.S. The hitch weight is approx 168kg based on a 2,680kg MTPLM.

JayEss replied on 16/07/2018 09:11

Posted on 16/07/2018 09:11

Personally I wouldn't give up on the airstream dream. I would however consider a different model. That particular model is more suited to a seasonal pitch based on size. It's a similar length to the big tabberts and hobbys that are popular on seasonal pitches and I'd consider it too much of a challenge for touring. 

We looked at a couple of smaller vans when the previous dealer was showing them and they were lovely. Still pretty big but far easier to tour with. 

This chapess has airstream permanently on her eBay watchlist. Ideally I'd like a 1960s globetrotter which I'd gut and refit to my own requirements. 

KjellNN replied on 16/07/2018 10:58

Posted on 16/07/2018 08:47 by brue

See here....just in case you change you mind. smile

Posted on 16/07/2018 10:58

Andrew D does however have a much smaller single axle van, so does not have the same towcar  problems.  

A smaller model would be much easier in many respects, but of course does not provide the same amount of space.

The Colorado does appear to be a non-starter on all fronts in UK.

Takethedogalong replied on 16/07/2018 11:46

Posted on 16/07/2018 11:46

A big hefty Chevy, or as already mentioned, a Dodge Ram. Live the complete dream if you want to, you only get one life!

We saw our first ever Airstream being towed a couple of weeks ago. They are lovely, smaller than the Colorado though.

brue replied on 16/07/2018 12:06

Posted on 16/07/2018 10:58 by KjellNN

Andrew D does however have a much smaller single axle van, so does not have the same towcar  problems.  

A smaller model would be much easier in many respects, but of course does not provide the same amount of space.

Posted on 16/07/2018 12:06

Yes there are always ways round something if you're keen to do it, Andrew Ds videos and the information he puts out are always interesting. His trips to the Hebrides are an example of enjoying life with a different sort of outfit and just doing it. smile

Ayf replied on 16/07/2018 12:08

Posted on 16/07/2018 10:58 by KjellNN

Posted on 16/07/2018 12:08

I couldn't agree more. His van is about 850kg lighter, 1.5m shorter and 21cm slimmer at 2.29m.

I've watched all of Andrew's vids (quite an inspirational guy TBH) and if he had owned an Airstream Colarado, instead of his 532, then his entire blog time would probably need to be replaced by constant trips to the body repair shop. I could not see a Colarado in the Highlands & Islands!

I'm sitting here with the new UK Airstream brochure on my lap, viewing the amazing shots of Airstreams in isolated locations next to American lakes and romantic-looking mountain ranges. It looks truly amazing.

This is a far cry from the pot-holed landscape of the NC500 or the traffic jams of the UK roads.

This is definitely not a van for UK usage.

Ayf replied on 16/07/2018 12:23

Posted on 16/07/2018 11:46 by Takethedogalong

A big hefty Chevy, or as already mentioned, a Dodge Ram. Live the complete dream if you want to, you only get one life!

We saw our first ever Airstream being towed a couple of weeks ago. They are lovely, smaller than the Colorado though.

Posted on 16/07/2018 12:23

I think the best thing for us to do is grab a visa; jump on a plane to the US and then hire an Airstream for a few months and see those actual sights as depicted in the UK Airstream brochure.

I've looked at the Dodge Ram range and they are gigantic. I've also read a few US Airstream forums and have found it interesting on how much thought goes into a pulling vehicle - lots! 

The Airstream Colarado (UK edition) is still a 6,000lb van and the Americans do seem to reject quite a number of Dodge, Ford and GMC vehicles as being unsuitable for the task.

The smaller Airstream is fine for UK roads but it's just the bigger ones that seem to have a few challenges.

Also, one of the points to us having a caravan-car combo is to see the local sights and a Ford F350 or Dodge Ram would be a right PITA to park.

Lots of compromises I think.

Ayf replied on 16/07/2018 12:29

Posted on 16/07/2018 12:06 by brue

Yes there are always ways round something if you're keen to do it, Andrew Ds videos and the information he puts out are always interesting. His trips to the Hebrides are an example of enjoying life with a different sort of outfit and just doing it. smile

Posted on 16/07/2018 12:29

If I was a single fellow then I would probably copy Andrew, buy a small Airstream and stick a bike on the back of my Nissan Nivaro.

........but the missus insists on coming with me so I need that extra space.

Not to be rude but she takes a heck of a lot more space than Dougal and his dog ball throwerlaughing

brue replied on 16/07/2018 12:30

Posted on 15/07/2018 19:41 by Ayf

We've only just met on this forum and I already like your wisdom. My wife and I are thinking the same.

I won't lie to you - I have spent days trying to work out this puzzle and after several consultations with a very helpful dealer then I'm no further forward.

It may interest you to know that no Airstream dealer has sold a Colorado this year (each dealer still has one for sale) so this may be an indicator on just how difficult these things are to purchase and live with.

Posted on 16/07/2018 12:30

Are you actually interested in this or do you feel that none of them are going to sell because you feel there is nothing that will tow them and you just want to point this out? If the latter there will be suitable tow vehicles and these type of vans will also appeal to people wanting to site a van for long term use, either as a holiday let or their own use.

Ayf replied on 16/07/2018 12:35

Posted on 16/07/2018 09:11 by JayEss

Personally I wouldn't give up on the airstream dream. I would however consider a different model. That particular model is more suited to a seasonal pitch based on size. It's a similar length to the big tabberts and hobbys that are popular on seasonal pitches and I'd consider it too much of a challenge for touring. 

We looked at a couple of smaller vans when the previous dealer was showing them and they were lovely. Still pretty big but far easier to tour with. 

This chapess has airstream permanently on her eBay watchlist. Ideally I'd like a 1960s globetrotter which I'd gut and refit to my own requirements. 

Posted on 16/07/2018 12:35

Jay, the Caravan Club has done juat that and has cashed-in by purchasing a few large Airstreams and then placed them on 3 or 4 UK sites. They'll make a fortune I'm sure but the vans will never move in their lifetime. They are nothing but party pieces to make money.

I do like the 1960's Globetrotter - a very nice van indeed

All the best,

Andrew

Ayf replied on 16/07/2018 12:43

Posted on 16/07/2018 12:30 by brue

Are you actually interested in this or do you feel that none of them are going to sell because you feel there is nothing that will tow them and you just want to point this out? If the latter there will be suitable tow vehicles and these type of vans will also appeal to people wanting to site a van for long term use, either as a holiday let or their own use.

Posted on 16/07/2018 12:43

I was honestly hoping for a bit of inspiration in terms of how to select a new MY18 vehicle but it seems much harder than first thought. I've checked out a secondhand RR Sport today (34,000 miles and circa £40K) but I'm not sure I want to buy something like that just to get my Airstream.

A shiney new Airstream deserved a shiney new car but.........?

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook