2021 Travel Plans

replied on 05/09/2020 07:32

Posted on 05/09/2020 07:32

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

allanandjean replied on 26/01/2021 11:39

Posted on 26/01/2021 10:48 by eurortraveller

Harry,  I understand that ferry company is strapped for cash right now and is hoping people will give them some,  but if I were going cross channel to France this year I would wait until the situation is clearer and then buy an economy ferry ticket a few days before travelling - just as I would for buying a train ticket to London. 

Posted on 26/01/2021 11:39

Whilst I can see that there are reasons for choosing a flexi ticket I think the situation that has led to people feeling more inclined to do so are, whilst not unique, predominantly due to Covid.

Most travel and accommodation providers seem to be now offering cancellation/amendment guarantees so its likley that it will mainly be those that 'push it' come a cropper and face losing money-all info available suggests that people are not making bookings at the moment.

We started using BF more, our first ever trip overseas with the van was from Plymouth, after becoming sick to death of the, almost always, difficult, journey to Dover even though it was at that time hands down the cheapest place to cross from.

How things change-then, back in the early 2000s, we agreed that if the BF fare was within £100 of what we could get elsewhere we would use it.

Now BF, booked via the club, is cheaper than Dover crossings.

In fact the cost saving that can be achieved with a 'combined fare', and are such that I cannot see me booking direct.

To get the flexi fare for my, hoped for-everything crossed, trip in May/June will cost me £675 booked direct with BF.

The fare via the club is £375.

I have had to change a booking once and called BF, it was a weekend, and was told to call the club. I did this on the Monday and, when I told them the reason they waived the fee and put me on the crossing I wanted.

Making changes may be more of an issue now but,for me, not an issue that's worth spending £300 to potentially avoid.

MikeyA replied on 26/01/2021 11:45

Posted on 26/01/2021 11:34 by

I have been binge watching Poldark since we got Netflix and that coast looks very familiarwink

Posted on 26/01/2021 11:45

Can I suggest you try "Dedicated Survivor", very fast moving and some great acting. 

Takethedogalong replied on 26/01/2021 11:52

Posted on 26/01/2021 11:34 by

I have been binge watching Poldark since we got Netflix and that coast looks very familiarwink

Posted on 26/01/2021 11:52

It is AD, a lot of it is filmed down in West Penwith. Some of the places are quite off the beaten track, stunningly beautiful. It’s a part of Cornwall that doesn’t get as crowded as further up county, as long as you avoid St Ives, and one or two other places. The roads are incredibly narrow, or it’s a good walk to get to some of the best places. Which brings its own rewards, as you can find beaches with next to no one on them. We found lots of the locations from the original series (1970’s), and now the new series. 

This is for Moulesy, make sure you put this beach on your list of must visit. Safe to swim on an incoming tide, but does have riptides and no lifeguards. Portheras Cove, it’s walkable from Pendeen Lighthouse, or in other way turning off at Morvah. Dog friendly, bit of a scramble last few metres. 

Rufs replied on 26/01/2021 12:06

Posted on 26/01/2021 12:06

Interestingly we talk about the clear blue waters of the Med and ask if we have similar in the Uk, but....

"According to a study by the French Institute for Sea Research and Exploration (Ifremer), the Mediterranean Sea is the most polluted European sea. Two hundred thousand tons of plastic is dumped each year, representing more than 60 percent of all the trash we find at the bottom of the sea."

this was research done in 2019, similar study was done for the Adriatic which reported that although the sea was exceptionally clean it did have a severe plastic problem.

and if you want to see grand polution on a massive scale take a look at reports for Mar Menor, yes here in the UK we have our problems but over there is not as green as people seem to think.

So crystal blue waters do not necessarily mean the water is clean.

Last year I regularly swam in the Bude beach pool, as fine as any Mediteranean sealaughing

replied on 26/01/2021 12:07

Posted on 26/01/2021 11:52 by Takethedogalong

It is AD, a lot of it is filmed down in West Penwith. Some of the places are quite off the beaten track, stunningly beautiful. It’s a part of Cornwall that doesn’t get as crowded as further up county, as long as you avoid St Ives, and one or two other places. The roads are incredibly narrow, or it’s a good walk to get to some of the best places. Which brings its own rewards, as you can find beaches with next to no one on them. We found lots of the locations from the original series (1970’s), and now the new series. 

This is for Moulesy, make sure you put this beach on your list of must visit. Safe to swim on an incoming tide, but does have riptides and no lifeguards. Portheras Cove, it’s walkable from Pendeen Lighthouse, or in other way turning off at Morvah. Dog friendly, bit of a scramble last few metres. 

Posted on 26/01/2021 12:07

replied on 26/01/2021 12:27

Posted on 26/01/2021 11:39 by allanandjean

Whilst I can see that there are reasons for choosing a flexi ticket I think the situation that has led to people feeling more inclined to do so are, whilst not unique, predominantly due to Covid.

Most travel and accommodation providers seem to be now offering cancellation/amendment guarantees so its likley that it will mainly be those that 'push it' come a cropper and face losing money-all info available suggests that people are not making bookings at the moment.

We started using BF more, our first ever trip overseas with the van was from Plymouth, after becoming sick to death of the, almost always, difficult, journey to Dover even though it was at that time hands down the cheapest place to cross from.

How things change-then, back in the early 2000s, we agreed that if the BF fare was within £100 of what we could get elsewhere we would use it.

Now BF, booked via the club, is cheaper than Dover crossings.

In fact the cost saving that can be achieved with a 'combined fare', and are such that I cannot see me booking direct.

To get the flexi fare for my, hoped for-everything crossed, trip in May/June will cost me £675 booked direct with BF.

The fare via the club is £375.

I have had to change a booking once and called BF, it was a weekend, and was told to call the club. I did this on the Monday and, when I told them the reason they waived the fee and put me on the crossing I wanted.

Making changes may be more of an issue now but,for me, not an issue that's worth spending £300 to potentially avoid.

Posted on 26/01/2021 12:27

allanandjean replied on 26/01/2021 12:31

Posted on 26/01/2021 11:18 by Takethedogalong

Yes, it’s nice to see other places. We always said we’ed move to Polruan, just so we could look at Fowey😂 I knew you would recognise it.😁

Posted on 26/01/2021 12:31

Whoaa there TDA!

That statement is almost as bad  as saying you think its cream first!!!

As anyone here will tell you the BEST thing about Fowey is that you get to look at Polruan.

Days like today ,make it difficult but you know what I mean!

SeasideBill replied on 26/01/2021 13:07

Posted on 26/01/2021 12:06 by Rufs

Interestingly we talk about the clear blue waters of the Med and ask if we have similar in the Uk, but....

"According to a study by the French Institute for Sea Research and Exploration (Ifremer), the Mediterranean Sea is the most polluted European sea. Two hundred thousand tons of plastic is dumped each year, representing more than 60 percent of all the trash we find at the bottom of the sea."

this was research done in 2019, similar study was done for the Adriatic which reported that although the sea was exceptionally clean it did have a severe plastic problem.

and if you want to see grand polution on a massive scale take a look at reports for Mar Menor, yes here in the UK we have our problems but over there is not as green as people seem to think.

So crystal blue waters do not necessarily mean the water is clean.

Last year I regularly swam in the Bude beach pool, as fine as any Mediteranean sealaughing

Posted on 26/01/2021 13:07

Cornwall or Mediterranean?

Tinwheeler replied on 26/01/2021 13:19

Posted on 26/01/2021 12:31 by allanandjean

Whoaa there TDA!

That statement is almost as bad  as saying you think its cream first!!!

As anyone here will tell you the BEST thing about Fowey is that you get to look at Polruan.

Days like today ,make it difficult but you know what I mean!

Posted on 26/01/2021 13:19

Like so.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook