2021 Travel Plans

replied on 05/09/2020 07:32

Posted on 05/09/2020 07:32

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

SeasideBill replied on 26/01/2021 16:23

Posted on 26/01/2021 15:42 by

While I know water clarity is not a guarantee of quality the presence of abundant marine life is a good indication as it a Blue Flag award. Even pristine coral reefs such as those in the Maldives are vulnerable and we were asked to take home all unused plastic as if not it would end up in the sea there.

Our favorite caravanning location now is in Croatia and in spite of there being major cities lining the Adriatic the water is crystal clear with abundant fish life and the site we use holds a blue flag award. Very important to us wimps  is that by September at 22-24 degrees its warmer than the air when we take our pre breakfast dip.

Posted on 26/01/2021 16:23

Have you visited Opatija? A grand resort built in the days of the Austro-Hungarian empire. A lovely place to spend a day or more. When we first visited in the (early 2000s?) there were quite a few bullet holes to mark its recent troubled past. The town and fading grandeur has since been transformed into a very stylish resort on the Adriatic shore. One of my favourite places.

replied on 26/01/2021 17:39

Posted on 26/01/2021 14:49 by SeasideBill

Some of the most stunning azure waters I’ve seen are in Sardinia, but visit after a good storm and there’s all sorts of stuff washing around! Ditto Italian lakes. I’m not sure many Italians truly get rubbish bins.

Posted on 26/01/2021 17:39

replied on 26/01/2021 17:45

Posted on 26/01/2021 16:02 by MikeyA

Looks great David.

Whereabouts is that as it looks like a place we could well visit in the future by car or plane. On our only visit to Croatia we unfortunately didn't realise that the area around Pula/Medulin has cloudy seas due to the lack of tidal flushing of the bays. 

Croatia definitely warrants another visit to a different area.

Posted on 26/01/2021 17:45

chasncath replied on 26/01/2021 18:00

Posted on 26/01/2021 18:00

Another vote for early morning swimming in Croation waters. An early morning swim at Nerezine.

SeasideBill replied on 26/01/2021 19:26

Posted on 26/01/2021 18:00 by chasncath

Another vote for early morning swimming in Croation waters. An early morning swim at Nerezine.

Posted on 26/01/2021 19:26

That was my vision of Greece last May/June based on photos from friends who’d been there and done it....out of bed....leisurely swim in the warm clear waters of the Adriatic and breakfast. I live in eternal hope.....one day....still got the (open) ferry tickets!

cyberyacht replied on 27/01/2021 08:40

Posted on 27/01/2021 08:40

Rufs wrote: "and if you want to see grand polution on a massive scale take a look at reports for Mar Menor, yes here in the UK we have our problems but over there is not as green as people seem to think.

So crystal blue waters do not necessarily mean the water is clean.

Last year I regularly swam in the Bude beach pool, as fine as any Mediteranean sea"

I almost bought an apartment in Los Alcazares. Just as well I went up the coast to Gran Alacant/ Santa Pola with its blue flags.

PS. I think your personal thermostat is on the blink.wink

Rufs replied on 27/01/2021 08:58

Posted on 27/01/2021 08:58

PS. I think your personal thermostat is on the blink 

not at all, when we lived in Scotland i was a regular wild swimmer in the sea and lochs, if ever you are in the Dunkeld area check out Loch Ordie, fair walk up decent track, but great for wild swimming. 

Did the charity swim at the Gosport life boat station on New Years day a few years back, but only the oncemoney-mouth

SeasideBill replied on 27/01/2021 15:28

Posted on 27/01/2021 15:28

Cold water swimming is becoming quite popular in my part of the world. Quite a few clubs have sprung up at various beaches. Those who do it regularly swear to the health benefits, particularly those suffering with mental health in lockdown. My son is an avid surfer/kite surfer and will happily spend hours in the water in mid winter (in Scotland), albeit with a good wetsuit - he certainly didn’t get that gene from me!

replied on 27/01/2021 15:35

Posted on 27/01/2021 15:28 by SeasideBill

Cold water swimming is becoming quite popular in my part of the world. Quite a few clubs have sprung up at various beaches. Those who do it regularly swear to the health benefits, particularly those suffering with mental health in lockdown. My son is an avid surfer/kite surfer and will happily spend hours in the water in mid winter, albeit with a good wetsuit - he certainly didn’t get that gene from me!

Posted on 27/01/2021 15:35

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook