No deal and pet travel post 29 March 2019

DJG replied on 07/11/2018 09:45

Posted on 07/11/2018 09:45

Just phoned my vet. Our two dogs are due their rabies 3 yearly booster by 17th Nov. I have been told that as long as their vaccinations are up to date and all details on the passport are correct there is no change. The blood test etc, are for people applying for a new passport. Hope he is right.

ValDa replied on 07/11/2018 11:09

Posted on 07/11/2018 09:45 by DJG

Just phoned my vet. Our two dogs are due their rabies 3 yearly booster by 17th Nov. I have been told that as long as their vaccinations are up to date and all details on the passport are correct there is no change. The blood test etc, are for people applying for a new passport. Hope he is right.

Posted on 07/11/2018 11:09

Your vet needs to read this from the link in the first post in this thread (my highlighting in bold):

However, to allow effective contingency planning in the worst case scenario of the UK not being granted third country status, you’ll need to take the following steps to make sure your pet can travel after 29 March 2019:

You must get your dog, cat or ferret microchipped and then vaccinated against rabies before it can travel.
Your pet must have a blood sample taken at least 30 days after the rabies vaccination.
You’ll need to talk to your vet about whether you need a rabies vaccination or booster before this test.
Your vet must send the blood sample to an EU-approved blood testing laboratory.
The results of the blood test must show that the vaccination was successful (Your pet must have a rabies antibody level of at least 0.5 IU/ml).
You must wait 3 months from the date the successful blood sample was taken before you travel.

mnlatham replied on 07/11/2018 19:11

Posted on 07/11/2018 19:11

Hi all, help needed. We will be in Spain with our dog from mid January 19 returning to the UK early May 19. Does anyone know what we need to do should we leave the EU without a deal. Thanks in advance. Martin

ValDa replied on 07/11/2018 19:30

Posted on 07/11/2018 19:11 by mnlatham

Hi all, help needed. We will be in Spain with our dog from mid January 19 returning to the UK early May 19. Does anyone know what we need to do should we leave the EU without a deal. Thanks in advance. Martin

Posted on 07/11/2018 19:30

Firstly I would suggest you print out the information from the website, and take it along to your vet and ask advice.  There may be a tendency to say 'Wait and see' but my view is that if it affects you, you need to be proactive.

Did your dog have a blood test (in the early days of the pet passport a blood test was required) - and is the result of that test written in his/her passport?  If it is then according to the information in the post you should be Ok for outward travel because nothing will have changed, but you need to make sure you are OK to come back.  If the dog hasn't already had a blood test then I would make an appointment sharpish and get a blood test done for 'rabies titre' and make sure that the result is in the passport before you set off from the UK.  Your May return date means that you'll have to visit a Spanish vet to get a certificate that your pet is fit to travel - as well as the 'normal' requirements for worming etc - before you come home!

NutsyH replied on 09/11/2018 09:32

Posted on 09/11/2018 09:32

A few days ago it was announced that in the event of "no deal", in addition to all said above regarding blood tests etc, you will need a Health Certificate issuing by your vet at a cost of £55. This must be issued not more than 10 days before you travel, and is only valid for one trip. I still have no idea what will be required by the UK authorities to allow pets back in - will we still use the passport?

We travel to Spain in February, but are returning before 29th March, so no change for us for that trip. If our friends in the EU intend deliberately making it difficult for us to take our dog, then they can manage without the money we spend over there. We only bought a caravan so that we could take our dog with us - we'll just stick to  the UK after Brexit.

DJG replied on 09/11/2018 10:13

Posted on 09/11/2018 10:13

Is the new regulation coming from the EU or UK authorities? The reason I ask is, does this mean that there will be Pet Passport checks on the way out, as well as on the way back. If there is going to be checks now on the way out, fine, if not this is another case of project fear. 

If there are no outbound checks, then, as when the pet passports first started you can have the rabies jab, then blood test and go abroad as long as your trip back was after the 3 month date was up.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook