No deal and pet travel post 29 March 2019

hammer replied on 09/11/2018 21:35

Posted on 09/11/2018 21:35

I have been taking my pet abroad for 11 years at present when you first apply for a pets passport you go to

the vet and they will microchip it and give it an anti rabies vaccine you will have to wait about 30 days and then your pet will have to have a blood test then they will issue your pet with passport  depending on the result of the blood test you are then allowed to take your pet abroad but you must not return until 3 months after the passport has been issued. When returning to the UK you have to see a vet over there within 120 hours of returning the vet will check your pets microchip with the number in their passport,examine your pet to see if it is fit to travel, give it a worming tablet,stamp and sign your pets passport and charge you according to your pets size.When you are at the ferry port you show your pets passport when you check in they give you a chip reader and check the number with the one entered in the passport by the way your pet has to a booster injection at your own vets every 3 years as I said earlier I have been taking my dog abroad for 11 years and never had a problem if it differs from from this after we leave the EU I would like to know how.

ValDa replied on 09/11/2018 21:48

Posted on 09/11/2018 21:48

Yes, but if your pet travelled for the first time after the blood test was no longer required, things have changed.  You may have to get a blood test done for the first time if you want to travel after 31/03/2019.  Our cat travelled for the first time in 2014 - long after the blood test was required, so we have to take her soon to have a blood test to make sure that whatever happens we are able to travel in March 2019.

eurortraveller replied on 09/11/2018 21:51

Posted on 09/11/2018 21:51

Hammer, you say "If it differs from this after we leave the EU I would like to know how"..

And that's the question none of us can answer yet, I'm afraid. Many things may well  be different after we leave, but as yet we haven't been told. I think we shall all have to be patient for just a little longer.  But taking pet animals across the Channel may not be the biggest or most important of the changes. 

hammer replied on 10/11/2018 18:46

Posted on 10/11/2018 18:46

I tend to go to North Brittany a lot there are quite a few caravanners  from Jersey there as they are not allowed caravans in Jersey so the keep their

vans in storage there. What I am getting at is that they take  their pets with them and as far as I know Jersey are not in the EU and never have been

Paul1951 replied on 13/11/2018 19:05

Posted on 13/11/2018 19:05

Project Fear yet again !!!!

Why should the requirements for returning to the UK with your Pet change as a result of a Brexit deal or no deal. This would be a decision made by the UK not the EU.

If the EU and the European Court of INJUSTICE wish to setup pet control checks at departure points in the UK then we would have to meat their requirement, but since UK is currently clear of rabies why would they???

replied on 13/11/2018 19:33

Posted on 13/11/2018 19:05 by Paul1951

Why should the requirements for returning to the UK with your Pet change as a result of a Brexit deal or no deal. This would be a decision made by the UK not the EU.

If the EU and the European Court of INJUSTICE wish to setup pet control checks at departure points in the UK then we would have to meat their requirement, but since UK is currently clear of rabies why would they???

Posted on 13/11/2018 19:33

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

eurortraveller replied on 13/11/2018 20:48

Posted on 13/11/2018 20:48

Have I got it right ? Dog travel across the Channel to remain the same but humans will need to have visas for tourist visits lasting more than 90 days.  So free movement  of dogs will continue but free movement of people will stop. Is that it?  

Metheven replied on 14/11/2018 15:37

Posted on 09/11/2018 21:48 by ValDa

Yes, but if your pet travelled for the first time after the blood test was no longer required, things have changed.  You may have to get a blood test done for the first time if you want to travel after 31/03/2019.  Our cat travelled for the first time in 2014 - long after the blood test was required, so we have to take her soon to have a blood test to make sure that whatever happens we are able to travel in March 2019.

Posted on 14/11/2018 15:37

We are travelling third week of April next year. Just been to the Vet for our dogs annual booster, it made sense whilst we were there to pay the extra £93 for the pleasure of the lab testing for the Rabies antibodies level in her. We are having to cover both aspects of the UK being a listed third country or not as seen by the EU, else our travel date will be affected.

NutsyH replied on 15/11/2018 10:23

Posted on 13/11/2018 19:05 by Paul1951

Posted on 15/11/2018 10:23

If the EU and the European Court of INJUSTICE wish to setup pet control checks at departure points in the UK then we would have to meat their requirement,

The EU already have animal control points set up at numerous points of entry around their borders  for Non EU entries. There is a list of the points of entry somewhere in all the documents that have been published, All the channel ports are on the list - it is just that as members of the EU we have never had to be checked at these points.

but since UK is currently clear of rabies why would they???

They would just to be as awkward as they can.

What no one has said is what our government (whats left of it after this morning's blood bath) will require for re-entry to the UK.

Paul1951 replied on 16/11/2018 16:37

Posted on 16/11/2018 16:37

This is a minor example of project fear but is an indication of how false news is used. Very little of the information put out is based on fact or definative outcomes, but more on individuals opinions of what might happen under certain circumstances.

As far as I can see DEFRA have not and are unlikly to change requirements for pets reterning from EU member Countries. Blood Test is only required when returning from unlisted third contries

See http://apha.defra.gov.uk/external-operations-admin/library/documents/exports/ET140.pdf

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook