No deal and pet travel post 29 March 2019

peedee replied on 20/12/2018 13:23

Posted on 20/12/2018 13:23

You didn't hear wrong. I also heard on Euro News that the pet travel passport will no longer be accepted. I expect one would have to read the detail to see what is actually meant.

peedee

Hamnavoe replied on 20/12/2018 13:55

Posted on 20/12/2018 13:55

I will already be there and so far no info about returning with dog to U.K at end of April. I can only keep up to date via internet

dmiller555 replied on 20/12/2018 15:38

Posted on 06/11/2018 20:16 by Tigi

Note the advice does say "in the unlikely event of not reaching a deal" - keep calm and carry on! 

Posted on 20/12/2018 15:38

The "government" it seems have now removed the word "unlikely" from their literature. 

Rufs replied on 22/12/2018 10:32

Posted on 05/12/2018 13:47 by Rufs

you were right to do this well in advance, we are booked on ferry to Cherbourg 2nd Apr, took fido to vets today for blood test, told it could take 3 weeks for results to return, cost £145, if he fails then he needs new rabies jab and then at least 30 days after jab he can have another blood test this could take us into early Jan at best and provided 2nd blood test is ok then he can travel 3 months after blood test done which could take us into mid April, bit of a cliff hanger. I wonder how many people are out there who are not aware of any of this, have to say Brexit is looking less likely but mother Theresa is not going to give in easily. 

Posted on 22/12/2018 10:32

Be warned, despite only having been vaccinated 9 months ago for rabies, we were told today by our vet that our pouch had failed the blood test, insufficient anti bodies. He will have new vaccination today, and new blood test circ 22 nd Jan, provided this blood test is positive we will be able to travel mid/end April, not what we wanted as to justify the ferry costs etc we would have liked 3 months away rather than the now proposed 2, cant be in Spain July/August too hot.  Hopefully we will get a deal over Brexit, but not looking good, I wonder how many more restrictions will be imposed upon us, cant be good for tourism within Europe lots of caravanners/MH owners take pets into Europe. If no Brexit deal seriously thinking of making Europe a no go area and sticking to UK, if we get continuing good summers who needs Europe.

Rufs replied on 22/12/2018 10:39

Posted on 06/11/2018 13:25 by peedee

The Governement has published advice >here< It don't look good for pet owners in the event of a no deal. More hassle.

peedee

Posted on 22/12/2018 10:39

you were right peedee, and expense, this lot by the time we have done all tests plus vaccinations will be close to £300 frown and from what I have read it will be an ongoing expense, vets before you leave UK, vets before your enter UK makes you wonder whether it is all worth it.

Rufs replied on 22/12/2018 11:58

Posted on 22/12/2018 10:32 by Rufs

Be warned, despite only having been vaccinated 9 months ago for rabies, we were told today by our vet that our pouch had failed the blood test, insufficient anti bodies. He will have new vaccination today, and new blood test circ 22 nd Jan, provided this blood test is positive we will be able to travel mid/end April, not what we wanted as to justify the ferry costs etc we would have liked 3 months away rather than the now proposed 2, cant be in Spain July/August too hot.  Hopefully we will get a deal over Brexit, but not looking good, I wonder how many more restrictions will be imposed upon us, cant be good for tourism within Europe lots of caravanners/MH owners take pets into Europe. If no Brexit deal seriously thinking of making Europe a no go area and sticking to UK, if we get continuing good summers who needs Europe.

Posted on 22/12/2018 11:58

I suppose an easy solution to this would be to travel before Mar 29th laughing and worry about getting back in to the UK later

ValDa replied on 22/12/2018 17:51

Posted on 22/12/2018 10:32 by Rufs

Posted on 22/12/2018 17:51

Outward travel (if it takes place before 'B Day' can take place as normal (provided the antibody test next time is positive) because you're travelling outward under current 'rules'.  It's the return journey AFTER B Day which is the critical date.  If you're already in Europe then you entered under current 'rules' (ie passport, worming, etc) and the only extra thing you need to do to return is to make sure you comply and get a 'Fit to Travel' Certificate from a European Vet for the return journey (and the normal worming/etc treatment) within the recommended time scales.  

Rufs replied on 23/12/2018 08:57

Posted on 22/12/2018 17:51 by ValDa

Outward travel (if it takes place before 'B Day' can take place as normal (provided the antibody test next time is positive) because you're travelling outward under current 'rules'.  It's the return journey AFTER B Day which is the critical date.  If you're already in Europe then you entered under current 'rules' (ie passport, worming, etc) and the only extra thing you need to do to return is to make sure you comply and get a 'Fit to Travel' Certificate from a European Vet for the return journey (and the normal worming/etc treatment) within the recommended time scales.  

Posted on 23/12/2018 08:57

Thanks ValDa, that was how i read it also, will probably travel week before Bday, provided test is ok, but vet did say that some dogs never meet the target, worrying, if things do go pear shaped and we do leave with no deal, i wonder how many people will turn up at the port totally oblivious to what is required.frown

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook