No deal and pet travel post 29 March 2019

Rufs replied on 05/12/2018 13:47

Posted on 06/11/2018 21:10 by ValDa

Unfortunately those of us who travel with a pet, and who are likely to be in Europe on 'the day' have little choice not to 'keep calm and carry on' but to be sensible and take whatever action is required.  For us that means it makes sense to visit a vet, get a blood test which hopefully says our cat's rabies vaccination is effective, and if not to repeat the vaccination and blood test, and then we should be ok.

If you don't travel with a pet, or do, but aren't going to be in Europe until much later in the year, then you can afford to sit it out and wait....... but I would rather be safe than sorry.

Posted on 05/12/2018 13:47

you were right to do this well in advance, we are booked on ferry to Cherbourg 2nd Apr, took fido to vets today for blood test, told it could take 3 weeks for results to return, cost £145, if he fails then he needs new rabies jab and then at least 30 days after jab he can have another blood test this could take us into early Jan at best and provided 2nd blood test is ok then he can travel 3 months after blood test done which could take us into mid April, bit of a cliff hanger. I wonder how many people are out there who are not aware of any of this, have to say Brexit is looking less likely but mother Theresa is not going to give in easily. 

Metheven replied on 05/12/2018 13:53

Posted on 05/12/2018 13:53

Results are back from the lab blood test for Rabies antibodies (£96), all good and she is well above the mark. Results are filed at the vet practice, just need a copy of that and a certificate within 10 days before we travel in April assuming no deal, otherwise it stays as it is so both options are now covered.

Rufs replied on 05/12/2018 14:15

Posted on 05/12/2018 13:53 by Metheven

Results are back from the lab blood test for Rabies antibodies (£96), all good and she is well above the mark. Results are filed at the vet practice, just need a copy of that and a certificate within 10 days before we travel in April assuming no deal, otherwise it stays as it is so both options are now covered.

Posted on 05/12/2018 14:15

hope we have same result, just out of interest when did your Fido have last Rabies jab, ours was only 12 months ago so vet thinks should be ok. a little bit of piste, info from BF, if you have to cancel as a result of this then provided you cancel within their normal 5 day time span then you will get a voucher for full trip that is valid for 2 years, I think a lot of people, are not aware of these possioble restrictions. BF office in Poole were not aware of the possible new rules.   

ValDa replied on 05/12/2018 19:51

Posted on 05/12/2018 13:53 by Metheven

Posted on 05/12/2018 19:51

Our cat's results were positive, too - a high level of antibodies, so we're in the same position - we can travel outwards whenever we want, knowing that whatever date we come back we will be covered - the only stipulation being that ten days before returning we shall have to visit a French vet for a 'Fit to Travel' cerificate.

Traficlady replied on 11/12/2018 06:04

Posted on 11/12/2018 06:04

I read somewhere recently that the certificate you get to travel only lasts for 40 days. Bit tricky if you go away for 3 or 4 months as a lot of us do. 

Nora

Metheven replied on 11/12/2018 07:55

Posted on 11/12/2018 06:04 by Traficlady

I read somewhere recently that the certificate you get to travel only lasts for 40 days. Bit tricky if you go away for 3 or 4 months as a lot of us do. 

Nora

Posted on 11/12/2018 07:55

Certificate is valid for 4 months ..... if needed.

ValDa replied on 11/12/2018 08:05

Posted on 11/12/2018 06:04 by Traficlady

Nora

Posted on 11/12/2018 08:05

The certificate you get from the UK Vet allows outward travel into Europe.  If you're allowed to stay for three or four months and the UK certificate is no longer valid then you simply get another certificate from a European Vet to say your pet is fit to travel on the return journey.

Wherenext replied on 20/12/2018 11:29

Posted on 20/12/2018 11:29

I read some of the blurb issued by the EU yesterday that seemed to confirm that a No Deal will mean no pets allowed after our exit.

Wonder what the EU will do with those already there with the over wintering campers?

Hope I misread it for those planning to take your pet.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook