What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

nelliethehooker replied on 12/01/2020 22:03

Posted on 11/01/2020 23:59 by DavidKlyne

Nellie

I have just found this on the Which website which might be a useful guide. It seems you can do it yourself but there is a registration fee or you can do it via a solicitor but you will have their fees on top which are not inconsiderable!!!

David

Posted on 12/01/2020 22:03

David, I've read through the literature and see that Which have an offer of 50% off their normal price for assistance in preparing the POAs. The cost using that service and the registration fees for a couple for both forms of POA works out at just under £900. Guess that it would be a lot more if done by solicitor.

SteveL replied on 12/01/2020 22:18

Posted on 12/01/2020 22:03 by nelliethehooker

David, I've read through the literature and see that Which have an offer of 50% off their normal price for assistance in preparing the POAs. The cost using that service and the registration fees for a couple for both forms of POA works out at just under £900. Guess that it would be a lot more if done by solicitor.

Posted on 12/01/2020 22:18

When I did my mums I just downloaded the appropriate forms and info from the government website. Although a bit laborious, it wasn't that difficult to prepare the forms and register them. I did it for both wealth and health. When they were needed in anger both POA's worked as intended.

I must get round to doing ours. Given the cost is only £164 to register both, so £328 for both of us. I think given some of the costs mentioned above, I will be DIY again.

DSB replied on 13/01/2020 08:18

Posted on 11/01/2020 18:31 by derekcyril

Hi David , my moms meds come  in pre boxed weekly dispensers ,monthly . ( sorry not all ) saves a lot of hastle , just a thought . Derek

Posted on 13/01/2020 08:18

Yes, I've heard of this, but not sure if this would work I  my case....  At least one of the drugs on my repeat prescription is a little more flexible.  I have a basic daily dose, but I sometimes have to tweak myself, so each month I actually get more than I regularly need.  If I find I have too much in stock, I just don't order it for a month.. 🙂  My GP's know I do this..

Judging by the fees mentioned above, in any case, I think I'll do it myself.  👍👍

David

DSB replied on 13/01/2020 08:28

Posted on 13/01/2020 08:28

We had half decided to have a few days away in the caravan this week, but have decided against it in the end.  We're having a downstairs loo installed over the weekend (courtesy of our Son-in-law), so need to spend some time taking the shelves down in the laundry so that we have room.  So, at the moment we have two toilets..... but one of them is still in the back of the car....  😀😀😀

David

KjellNN replied on 13/01/2020 11:27

Posted on 13/01/2020 11:27

Sounds like it costs a lot more to do this in England than in Scotland.

A quick look at the website suggests that the current cost up here is £79 per person for both Financial and/or Welfare POAs, so a total of £158 for us these days. The two types are usually combined into one document, but can be separate.

No idea how much for getting a solicitor to prepare it all these days,  but given that our wills were   (having consulted OH for the correct  figure) £350 + VAT, I would not expect POAs to cost more.

Included in the cost of our wills was an appointment at our solicitor's office where we discussed and agreed on what we wanted in our wills.  Advice was given on how financial matters would be handled on the first death, and what funds  would be available to the survivor, and it was all very clearly explained.

We then received texts to approve or amend, and once everything was agreed the actual paperwork was sent to us to be signed and witnessed. 

The original wills are held by the solicitor and we received copies to keep.

Fees were made clear at the outset and were, we thought, quite reasonable for the time involved.

KjellNN replied on 13/01/2020 12:17

Posted on 13/01/2020 12:17

We are having a day off doing stuff for others and instead are trying to do a bit of tidying at home.  OH has paperwork to do, I have a pile of recycling to deal with, plus I have things to prepare for my woodturning club meeting this evening.

Work on the utility room project is on hold for a day or two anyway as DD needs to obtain handles, wall tiles, and flooring.  Still some other small things to complete, but it is starting to look good now.

OH has decreed that our bathroom floors also need replaced, so we have added our order for LVT to DD's order to save on delivery charges.  Quite when I will get time to do our floors is another matter!

Oneputt replied on 13/01/2020 15:53

Posted on 13/01/2020 15:53

Hospital this morning for my 3 monthly check up.  Result is I need to have another scan so fingers crossed.  

As it was a lovely day, weather wise, sun and blue sky, decided to walk home by the beach and river, always something new to see and today it was a seal playing in the surf, fantastic 🌞

HughR replied on 13/01/2020 16:10

Posted on 13/01/2020 16:10

We have just done our LPA’s Lasting Power of Attorneys (2 each health &financial). We didn’t use a solicitor just the Govuk website. As long as they are straightforward and ours are, no need for a solicitors cost. The notes and help part of the website was excellent. £82 a throw. We have been going to do if for ages but a health issue sharpened our focus.

i would recommend the diy route as long as the preferences/instructions are straightforward and you are computer savvy.

HughR replied on 13/01/2020 16:19

Posted on 13/01/2020 16:19

Currently away at Chatsworth chilling in Motorhome had two great walks in last two days and weather behaved. Wind getting up now. 
Scrabble decider tonight as we are currently 2-2 over the stay here.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook