What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

richardandros replied on 22/04/2024 12:27

Posted on 22/04/2024 04:59 by richardandros

Bet I'm the first one to read your post heddlo - assuming the times on here being correct!

Posted on 22/04/2024 12:27

Didn't realise you were in Maccau, heddlo - which would account for you apparently posting at silly-o'clocksurprised Hope you are having a nice time.

KjellNN replied on 22/04/2024 12:41

Posted on 22/04/2024 12:41

We do not go out between October and March so most things are taken out of the van for that period, plus it has to be pretty empty for service in March, so packing for the first trip of the year is always lengthy.  More so this time as we had DD and the boys with us for a week, so extra stuff to take, and remove when we got home.  Will take a day or two as some other things to deal with first.

Other trips are much easier to pack for.  Food packing depends on where we are going, but we generally take some stuff from the freezer at home, any contents of the fridge at home that need to be used, and bits and pieces to get us started.

When it is just us we often do not use the awning, which is only a lightweight, 3.9m  porch, but we do take it with us in the summer when we usually have a 5 week trip, however we can cut back on outside furniture.  Just bought 2 new folding chairs which take less space in the car.

Now we have given over the smallest bedroom to storage and put in good shelving, we have somewhere to keep the caravan stuff tidy and all together, which does make life a bit easier.

But I agree, it is quite a chore, and when we do find it too much we will be giving up.  May only be another year or two, depends on how our 16 year old van fares too!

It is looking rather unkempt at present as the weather did not allow for cleaning before our trip, and I still have the new wheel spat to fit, for the same reason.

KjellNN replied on 22/04/2024 12:52

Posted on 22/04/2024 12:52

Just been into the city centre, by bus, to see if OH’s I pad can be fixed, it will not take a charge or switch on properly.  Fine one night, pretty dead the next morning.  Have left it to be looked at.

OH had her car to pick up from DD, she borrowed it for the trip to York, so she came along and was kept busy sorting washing and dishwasher as DD was busy working.  We will hopefully stay for lunch, food supplies here permitting, then I have some things to do on the way home.   
 Off to remove DD’s roofbox as we do not need it.

At least it is not raining!

heddlo replied on 22/04/2024 14:07

Posted on 22/04/2024 12:27 by richardandros

Didn't realise you were in Maccau, heddlo - which would account for you apparently posting at silly-o'clocksurprised Hope you are having a nice time.

Posted on 22/04/2024 14:07

🤣🤣 I hadn’t noticed the time!!   It was around 10.30am here when I posted, we are 7 hours ahead of UK at present.  Yes, it’s a nice time, mostly, we are here babysitting our grandchildren while our son and wife are away in America for a couple of weeks.  Although the amount they FaceTime we are wondering why they went?!   Granddaughter is 5 so she is at school, grandson is 15 months and teething so that’s why I said, mostly!  We are tired, though fortunately they have a helper for around the house, cooking, and the little one.  The weather is 30/31 degs and 85% humidity so that doesn’t help with our activity.  We are here for another few weeks and spending a few days with our other grandchildren (and son’s ex wife) in Hong Kong before we come home.  

Wherenext replied on 23/04/2024 15:31

Posted on 23/04/2024 15:31

Being a childless couple we missed out on the anxiety ridden day that you hand your child over to the care of a schoolteacher. Maybe you then go on to enjoy a peaceful morning but guilt ridden for doing so.

Well today we caught up with you as we handed over our very own 91 year old child to the care of her Craft Class friend to deliver her there and bring her home. So we had 3 hours to enjoy a beautiful days sunshine so we decided against wasting any of it by getting in a car and settled on a walk and a stop at a pub halfway around. Beautiful countryside, new flowers out, birds singing. It was bliss, interrupted every so often by a "Wonder how she's getting on?"

She seemed to enjoy it and just used her pronged walking stick. A big step forward. Big thanks to everyone there for making her feel part of the group. Have to admire her pluck.

DSB replied on 23/04/2024 16:10

Posted on 22/04/2024 12:24 by richardandros

Did you go for the full system - or the Compact, David?  I found the system had a few 'quirks' to start with but it's fine once you get used to it.  If you have any questions - please ask and I'll do my best to answer them.  We've had ours for nearly five years now - so I've had plenty of time tome to play with it. Fitting the twin Alko locks is an absolute doddle with E&P and I'd say it was worth it just for that - well, for me, anywaysmile

I keep threatening to take mine to the weighbridge fully laden but that would mean interrupting things when we were ready to go away, so I never get round to it.  I really ought to sort something out.

Posted on 23/04/2024 16:10

Yes, we went for the full system, Richard.  Everything seems fine.  Back home now..... the worst part was dropping off the 'van at storeage..... had to try and reposition the small broken paving slabs to coincide with the slightly different position of the steadies.  We also need to get some slabs for the central telescopic 'arms'.  When we've got this all sorted it'll be fine. 🙂

David

milliehull replied on 23/04/2024 16:21

Posted on 23/04/2024 15:31 by Wherenext

Being a childless couple we missed out on the anxiety ridden day that you hand your child over to the care of a schoolteacher. Maybe you then go on to enjoy a peaceful morning but guilt ridden for doing so.

Well today we caught up with you as we handed over our very own 91 year old child to the care of her Craft Class friend to deliver her there and bring her home. So we had 3 hours to enjoy a beautiful days sunshine so we decided against wasting any of it by getting in a car and settled on a walk and a stop at a pub halfway around. Beautiful countryside, new flowers out, birds singing. It was bliss, interrupted every so often by a "Wonder how she's getting on?"

She seemed to enjoy it and just used her pronged walking stick. A big step forward. Big thanks to everyone there for making her feel part of the group. Have to admire her pluck.

Posted on 23/04/2024 16:21

That sounds like a successful day WN. So glad it worked out so well for all of you. Onwards and upwards.

nelliethehooker replied on 23/04/2024 22:07

Posted on 23/04/2024 22:07

Good news about MIL,  WN. Hope that her obvious improvement continues.

Have had yet more problems posting on this thread, what a bl**dy pain it is at times, lost another post last night!! yell Best get this in before it happens again.

Great day for getting the washing done, warm and sunny with just enough wind to dry the clothes. Walks in the forest and by the Loch, site full with 5 caravans tonight after 4 on last night.

richardandros replied on 24/04/2024 06:43

Posted on 23/04/2024 16:10 by DSB

Yes, we went for the full system, Richard.  Everything seems fine.  Back home now..... the worst part was dropping off the 'van at storeage..... had to try and reposition the small broken paving slabs to coincide with the slightly different position of the steadies.  We also need to get some slabs for the central telescopic 'arms'.  When we've got this all sorted it'll be fine. 🙂

David

Posted on 24/04/2024 06:43

David - I don't know if you had them fitted but I can recommend having the extra large bases for the rams. They are literally as wide as a dinner plate and stop the rams from sinking into soft ground. They were on offer - free to members of this Club - when I had mine fitted - don't know if that still stands but they really have turned out to be a big bonus.

Takethedogalong replied on 24/04/2024 11:30

Posted on 23/04/2024 15:31 by Wherenext

Posted on 24/04/2024 11:30

Brilliant update WN, so glad MIL is enjoying getting back into things she likes doing. It is a huge step handing over to anyone else, and glad it went well. So pleased you got some time out together as well, vital for you both. 

Another marathon session on the phone to O2 for me yesterday😡 It’s hard to think of another company that has been this inept and uncommunicative, but I persevered. Still no dialogue with anyone from the fraud section, and I was passed around from India, the Philippines, goodness know where, until finally I politely told one of them I had had enough, just give my PAC code and they could whistle for getting anything else out of me. Nothing impolite, all the call handlers are very polite, as helpful as they can be within the limited remit of what they can do, but the constant having to go through security and then retell the scenario (thirty one days, 15 calls, 18 text messages, 21 emails😡😡😡) is extremely wearing. You are battling good but heavily accented English as well, which doesn’t help. As usual, the threat of leaving kick starts more attention, and South Africa (I kid you not😳) finally got to the bottom of at least one issue, a faulty sim. But still nothing relating to a brand new IPhone delivered to house (very expensive model, I refused to accept it, videoed courier taking it away, took photos of parcel details, all records kept), the missing sim, also sent out but never arrived, the emails telling me my next payment will be five times my normal monthly fee! I ended up with a new tariff, 20gb unlimited call/texts, for a pound more than my usual monthly fee, the money they think I owe credited back, and a new sim on its way. Few months to get my credits used, then it will be bye bye. Not a company I can recommend. My dealings came about after VM and O2 merged, never had an issue when it was VM offering mobile deals. Next three days will tell if this saga has an ending.🤞

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook