What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

moulesy replied on 05/05/2024 18:22

Posted on 05/05/2024 18:22

We've had the most perfect day for the Setter Walk. Sunny, dry and cool through the woods, nice and warm for the tea & cakes (humans) and biscuits & chews (dogs) on our return. A good turn out too, about 30 Irish along with a few English & Gordon Setters plus a few "honorary " Setters. Should have raised about £1500 for the charity, so a good day all round. 🐕‍🦺 🐕‍🦺 smile smile

Francis replied on 05/05/2024 18:38

Posted on 05/05/2024 18:38

Glad the walk went well M looks like a good day. Hope you have a nice trip away Helen 

We’ve had a good day today we had a relaxing morning in the van then in the afternoon took a drive down to Saltburn by the sea one of our favourite towns weather was good so it was very busy but we managed to get a table in The Ship Inn so had a pint and a lovely meal. Then had a walk along the pier and got an ice cream from the ice cream van. Now back at the van not much planned tonight just stay in and watch the snooker 

.Hope everyone else is having a god bank holiday 

DavidKlyne replied on 05/05/2024 21:07

Posted on 05/05/2024 21:07

Helen, thanks. We will have to see. Whilst the private company does do hip replacements, they have a small hospital in MK, they might not be willing to do Margaret's as she has had a Heart Bypass Operation simply because they don't have the emergency equipment to cope if something goes wrong! Given that hips are usually done by epidural rather than general anesthetic perhaps that might not be a problem? If they can do it the wait might just be a matter of a few months but if she has to have it done at MK Hospital I expect it will be much longer.

Kj, one of my son's rented out his flat in Northampton when he got a job in London. Not something he would repeat I expect. It caused far too much hassle compared to the benefit received. It was unfortunate timing as he purchased at the top of the market and by the time the job came up we were at the start of the world wide financial crash so selling wasn't really and option and the so his hand was forced.  

David

DEBSC replied on 05/05/2024 21:12

Posted on 05/05/2024 21:12

Been away 10 days, for a lot of that time I wore a winter coat and scarf. Yesterday it was warm, today, very warm, typical. We did sit out and have cup of tea in the sun once we had packed the car, just to make the most of it. We drove through Stratford on the way home and I’ve never seen it so crowded, Bank holiday and sun had brought everyone out. Home and unpacked now, some washing done. The slugs have had a field day with all the wet here while we were away, I’ve been out in the garden for an hour disposing of a great many.

nelliethehooker replied on 05/05/2024 21:50

Posted on 05/05/2024 21:50

Looks like a good turnout, M, glad that the weather was kind for the walk. 

Francis, my last experience of Saltburn was nowhere as enjoyable as yours today as I managed to slip and fracture my wrist, which meant time spent in the A&E at Stockton Hospital, and an early finish to our stay at Teeside Caravan Site, as I was not allowed to drive and had to arrange for SIL to come up and drive car and caravan back home.

David, hope that it isn't too long a wait for your wife's X-ray and that she isn't too long on the waiting list for her hip replacement.

Today had been cloudy but warm and dry, at least up to 5:30 this evening when rain set in and we had a very heavy downpour. We had another walk through the local woods this morning before driving up to Lochindorb after lunch to try and, successfully, see the Black Throated Divers which nest there.

Takethedogalong replied on 06/05/2024 13:12

Posted on 06/05/2024 13:12

We had a nice day out yesterday, in the MH. Thoresby Hall, a few miles from Clumber. The house is a big gothic pile, now a Warners Hotel, the estate is nice though, with a Courtyard retail and crafts area, and there is a military museum as well. But we went for a big Classic Car Show, good weather, warm sunny and dry, so plenty of exhibits from very old to “really, that’s a Classic?” Spotted lots of vehicle types we have owned down the years, some lovely camper vans as well. Car of the show for both of us was a fabulous Stingray Corvette, but we saw many many loved vehicles. Took a photo of the only car (type) we ever bought from new, an MG Metro Turbo, exactly same as photo. We only had it a couple of years, then decided to sell it and get……a horse! 🤣 we had him 22 years, vintage by the time he passed away. A good time though, and nice to be out in the sunshine. Pooch was a crowd pleaser in his chariot, he had a great day being cooed and petted. Lots of dogs there.

RedKite replied on 06/05/2024 13:57

Posted on 06/05/2024 13:57

Well we have just got back from Croome Court OH enjoyed the museum about radar etc and then we had an early lunch there but when we saw how many folks were coming in and car parks were jammed full we decided than it was not for us I do not cope with crowds anymore so had a leisurely drive back around a few old haunts then back to cottage and  it appears there is a large fire just up the road not sure whether a large bonfire or not as we have seen a few bonfires alight from here not used to that as we are not allowed them at home.

Glad you enjoyed classic car show Ttda a long time since we have been to one of those and have done a few French ones but all cars are French of course but we have had a few French cars in the past.

Weather was great yesterday then some rain last night but a lot of cloud about today although some sunny spells as well and at home there was 31mm of rain yesterday it looks like we have had better weather here not so much rain thankfully.

Takethedogalong replied on 06/05/2024 15:16

Posted on 06/05/2024 15:16

We love old French cars RK. Family have had a few Citroens down the years, Dyanes, Ami’s, more modern ones. I once had a ride in a fantastic old DS, had gone to London with a chum, and her Uncle picked us up from station in it. He was a chauffeur, his day job was driving Roger Moore and Tony Curtis around while they were filming The Persuaders. I don’t do well in Citroens, because of the suspension. Too soft for my delicate innards.😬

Hope others are ok, enjoying some dry weather. 

Wherenext replied on 06/05/2024 16:36

Posted on 06/05/2024 16:36

Good to hear all of the news from travellers out and about. Congrats on your total collected Moulesy.

We spent a good deal of yesterday in and around the garden/s. Cleared a lot of moss off the flags before power washing them, (and me 😅). OH, on weeding duty,  complained about amount of water finding its way into the borders but couldn't be helped. Did some spraying for weeds and ants. Wish the ants would keep to the soil rather than coming into the house.

Up early this morning as I slept well. Not a sole at McDs takeaway window as I passed just gone 8 a.m. Quite amazing. Tesco's very quiet at that time as well.

Lovely sunny afternoon. Just got back from a walk. Hopefully those thunderstorms will stay away.

Hope most of you are getting some decent weather.

KjellNN replied on 06/05/2024 17:17

Posted on 06/05/2024 17:17

Quite similar  to DD’s experience David, she moved  in in December 2003, was 8 years dong a B.Sc then a Ph.D before starting her present job in 2011 and moving to a house with garden and parking in December 2013.

2003 was pretty much top of the market in the West End of Glasgow, and even by 2013 prices had not recovered well enough to merit selling.  She has let the flat unfurnished,  but with integrated appliances, so those have been the problem items.  First tenant was fine, but the now ex tenants were an Italian family of 4, who were quite a bit of hassle.

She was actually keen to give them notice, but Scottish Gov policies made it impossible for a few years plus rent increases were banned then capped. They fell well behind with rent during Covid, and she felt sorry for them so reduced the rent for 12 months, so the place has barely been breaking even.    It has all been very stressful for her and the mess they left was just the last,  totally unexpected, straw.

Ideally she will sell, but it may not be easy now prices have slipped again and mortgages gone up.

It will be pretty easy to rent out if she accepts a couple of students as only a 5 minute walk to the University, but that would mean putting in furniture as well as covering all the painting and repairs……..and who knows how the students may behave!!

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook