2024 Six Nations

Tinwheeler replied on 01/02/2024 19:19

Posted on 01/02/2024 19:19

It all kicks off again tomorrow with France v Ireland. 

It's difficult to guess what might happen this year with so many familiar faces not taking part and new ones appearing. It’s good, mind, that things move on and new blood gets a chance but Ireland without Sexton is almost unthinkable.

Let's hope for a good tournament. 👍🏻

nelliethehooker replied on 02/02/2024 19:55

Posted on 02/02/2024 19:55

Just getting ready to watch it. It should be an interesting year what with all the new faces and 5 new team captains. 

What a match to start off the tournament, with the two favourites going head to head tonight.

nelliethehooker replied on 03/02/2024 20:42

Posted on 03/02/2024 20:42

Now that was an unexpectedly comfortable victory for Ireland yesterday, with some excellent power rugby.

Today England struggled, albeit with a new and very young team, against a greatly improved Italy side, coming from behind at half time, but missing out on a bonus point.

After a dominant first half display Scotland nearly threw it away against a resurgent Wales in the second half to hold on to a single point victory, their first in Cardiff for 22 yrs.

Hope next weekend's game are as entertaining.

Extugger replied on 05/02/2024 10:06

Posted on 05/02/2024 10:06

IMO I think we could hand the trophy to Ireland straight away! They looked disciplined, organised and powerful. Their new side had no hangovers from the departed stalwarts we have enjoyed watching this past decade. I fully expect them to trounce all who stand before them, possibly setting new scoring levels.

For me the most fascinating game was the second half of the Wales/Scotland encounter. I'm not sure what they put in the half time tea at Cardiff, but it certainly did the trick and a tremendous fight back ensued!

Italy looked better, but England still look 'Boring-under-Borthwick' We have talented young men who don't get enough game time, along with a front row with a combined age of 102. Experience is fine, but why play them instead of looking to build a team for the next World. Cup? 

RIP the 'King" Barry John.

nelliethehooker replied on 10/02/2024 21:39

Posted on 10/02/2024 21:39

Not able to watch either of today's games but it would appear  that England were fortunate to beat Wales after a poor first half display, and Scotland were unfortunate not to be awarded that try at the end to defeat France. Tomorrow's game should result in an Irish victory even against a much improved Italian side. 

moulesy replied on 11/02/2024 09:23

Posted on 11/02/2024 09:23

You didn't miss much, Nellie! frown

Apart from a couple of moments of French brilliance, there was little to get worked up about in either match. The second half of Scotland v France was particularly dire with long exchanges of kicking backwards and forwards. As the commentator said it looked like both teams were simply looking to avoid defeat rather than going for a win. Scotland can ultimately count themselves unlucky, listening to the exchange between the on field ref and the TMO it did appear that the latter changed his mind after saying that a try could be awarded. 

As for England v Wales it was a very poor match, a questionable penalty try for Wales and a try for England when down to 13 men which should have been easily defended. 

I think, apart from Ireland and possibly Italy who have little to lose, the countries are suffering from post World Cup blues - hopefully things will improve and I'm looking forward to today's game.

Oh, and I thought the awful "caterpillar ruck" tactic was to be outlawed, but it now seems to be the go to tactic whenever a ruck is formed - slows the game down dreadfully. yell

nelliethehooker replied on 11/02/2024 19:58

Posted on 11/02/2024 19:58

M, today's game turned into a rather one sided affair, especially as Italy missed that penalty to open the scoring, which might have inspired them. Ireland are certainly the outstanding team at the moment. We will have to wait two weeks now to see if the Welsh can complete against them.

I think the "caterpillar ruck" isn't to be outlawed until next season, giving teams a chance to work out some other way to shield their ball at rucks. Let us hope that it will put a stop to this tit for tat kicking. ( although it certainly worked in Ireland's favour today)

mickysf replied on 17/02/2024 16:51

Posted on 17/02/2024 16:51

I know there has been some discussion about the replacement of Italy in the Six Nations or the possibility of relegation/promotion to and from the European Championship. Just watched Rumania V Portugal and what a contest it was. Portugal’s young side are to be reckoned with, brilliant running game and a fine win away from home. Those performances in the World Cup were not a flash in the pan. Worth watching extended highlights. Don’t know if the home Nations would agree to promotion and relegation from the 6 Nations mind! The Spain V Georgia game was good too. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook