What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

Pliers replied on 03/05/2021 22:18

Posted on 03/05/2021 08:16 by

There is a splendid web cams on the Pergrine Falcons nest at Salisbury cathedral  and yesterday  I saw an adult feeding the chicks from a ringed victim. Unfortunately I was too late to make out what species it was but did see the parent eat the leg ring and all when it had finished  with the young.

Posted on 03/05/2021 22:18

Hardly a cathedral, and nowhere nearly as pretty as Salisbury, but there are peregrines nesting on St Peter’s church in Burnley town centre.

Plenty of pigeons about to feed to the young.....πŸ˜±πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚

JVB66 replied on 04/05/2021 09:16

Posted on 03/05/2021 22:18 by Pliers

Hardly a cathedral, and nowhere nearly as pretty as Salisbury, but there are peregrines nesting on St Peter’s church in Burnley town centre.

Plenty of pigeons about to feed to the young.....πŸ˜±πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚

Posted on 04/05/2021 09:16

They are normally nesting on St Marys?church in Cromer Town centrecool

Wherenext replied on 04/05/2021 18:56

Posted on 04/05/2021 18:56

Unusual occurrence for us today. 

Late afternoon we were innundated with Starlings, who obviously heard about our Exclusive top of the range Bird Bath and all you can eat buffet, mainly consisting of Forget-me-not seeds. 

I really can't remember the last time I saw more than the odd passing Starling in our garden. Today there well over 30 of them, 6 at a time in the bath. Had to admire a lone Sparrow who insisted he was not for moving out of the bath and wouldn't be bullied. Brave little soul.

And then in a blink of an eye they were gone. Like a mirage (except it was rainingπŸ₯πŸ₯πŸ₯πŸ₯🌧️🌧️🌧️).

Pliers replied on 05/05/2021 20:36

Posted on 05/05/2021 20:36

1st swifts of the year for us today at Titchwell reserve.

We’ve had a wonderful 2 weeks birding in Norfolk, and really good to have a much needed change of scenery.

Back home tomorrow, back to winter from what I’ve heard ⛄️.

Maybe check out a short break in Istanbul for the end of this month....πŸ€”, only joking, not a chance whatsoever πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚

Wherenext replied on 05/05/2021 21:05

Posted on 05/05/2021 21:05

Maybe check out a short break in Istanbul for the end of this month....πŸ€”, only joking, not a chance whatsoever πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

nelliethehooker replied on 07/05/2021 21:44

Posted on 07/05/2021 21:44

Walking on Rhossili Downs today where we watch both Buzzards and a Red Kite riding the thermals. On the lower path we saw Stone Chats, M & F,  Swallows and both heard and then spotted a Chiffchat. There are also House Martins flying around the site we are staying on.

InaD replied on 08/05/2021 13:29

Posted on 08/05/2021 13:29

We had a mistle thrush on the lawn this morning, we very rarely see those, and it was lovely to watch.  Rich pickings for it, as it was raining hard and it found quite a few juicy worms!  It spent quite some time going all over the lawn, eating what it found, and eventually flew off with some in its beak, so presumably it has young.  Who knows, after such a feast, it may decide to come again soon, I hope so!

SteveL replied on 10/05/2021 15:50

Posted on 10/05/2021 15:50

A pair of Oyster Catchers have taken over a pitch here at Culloden. A chain fence has been put round the pitch and cones put on those to either side and opposite to prevent use. The site isn’t that full at the moment as the toilets are out of action and there have been quite a few cancellations, so it’s not a significant problem. Everyone has been asked to keep well away. They don’t mind cars and vans passing but when a couple went past on cycles the bird left the nest and ran off presumably as a distraction, before walking slowly back. The one not on the nest seems to spend  a lot of time in the field alongside the site but perhaps flys off to the nearby Moray firth. The close up isn’t that sharp, as it was difficult holding my phone with the telephoto attachment steady.

Wherenext replied on 10/05/2021 19:13

Posted on 10/05/2021 19:13

Great post Steve.

Let us hope that they'll be left in peace but there will be a B/H coming along soon so can imagine the site is going to need the space. Good on the wardens though to give them some room at the inn.

Wherenext replied on 11/05/2021 19:46

Posted on 11/05/2021 19:46

Had a smashing walk today along some sand dunes at Newborough on Angelsey and next to the Red Squirrel haunting forest.

The birds were good as well with a lot of Willow Warblers and Whitethroats and a first of the year for us as we saw a Whinchat. Swifts and Swallows as well and quite a few of these are repeated on our CL. Seems to be a lot of Willow Warblers. I can see I'm going to enjoy a great Dawn Chorus tomorrow.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook