Leaving dogs unattended in van

richardandros replied on 14/07/2021 16:04

Posted on 14/07/2021 16:04

I was always under the impression that it was not allowed to leave dogs unaccompanied in your caravan whilst staying on Club sites.

We are currently on the NYM site, near Whitby and there is a poor dog barking and whining in the van next to us.  The owners went out this morning and given the experience of the last few days, are unlikely to be back until 1800 or so. It is clearly in distress - although how much is anyone's guess.

We have approached the wardens who are aware of the barking (the pitch is not far from the office) and told Ros, that the dog has been barking since the owners went out.  They had been told that it was being left on its own but had water and a bed and, in fairness, they have left all the roof lights open. It is nevertheless upsetting to have to listen to it. Mrs Warden also said that she was not aware of any rule preventing dogs being left on their own.

Having had a look at the CAMC leaflet - "Touring with Dogs" - it appears that she is correct:-

"Dogs can become anxious when lonely or uncomfortable. To minimise this, make sure
they have somewhere cool to relax, with good ventilation and access to an ample supply of drinking water if you do have to leave them for short times.
Where possible, please keep your dog with you, especially on hot days. A quick build-up of temperatures in cars, awnings, outfits or tents can be fatal to animals."

This isn't a complaint about barking dogs - my complaint, if I have one - is about inconsiderate owners who, in my opinion, are not fit to look after an animal.

Have the rules changed - and if so - why, because it doesn't seem fair to the dog!

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 30/12/2021 16:35

Posted on 30/12/2021 15:42 by Bruniges

While i mainly agree with the conversation. I would like to understand why when i tour in Europe I am allowed to take my dog go everywhere with me without restrictions. Pubs, Restaurants etc... Where in the UK. Dogs are routinely banned and owners forced to sit outside bars with there dog. in raining conditions. The UK is becoming better at allowing dogs into venues, but i have never understood why there is a clear difference in policies between Europe and the UK.   

Posted on 30/12/2021 16:35

I wouldn’t want to take my Dogs in anywhere food was being consumed tbh🤷🏻‍♂️. There are places Dogs can & should be & places they should not be.

replied on 30/12/2021 17:02

While i mainly agree with the conversation. I would like to understand why when i tour in Europe I am allowed to take my dog go everywhere with me without restrictions. Pubs, Restaurants etc... Where in the UK. Dogs are routinely banned and owners forced to sit outside bars with there dog. in raining conditions. The UK is becoming better at allowing dogs into venues, but i have never understood why there is a clear difference in policies between Europe and the UK.   

Posted on 30/12/2021 17:02

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

JVB66 replied on 30/12/2021 17:06

Posted on 30/12/2021 17:06

We have noticed that many more UK shops and restaurants /cafes have started to accept how much business they are losing, by not allowing mans/and woman's best friend into their premises

With our dogs and other responsible owners, ,who we have been in conversations with will not use cafes that do not accept dogs even when we do not have a dog ,

This country is slowly  accepting a lot of  what is quite common in mainland Europe ,

moulesy replied on 30/12/2021 17:11

Posted on 30/12/2021 17:11

We are fairly relaxed about places allowing or not allowing our dogs in with us. We have a few regular places where we know they are welcome and the staff and regulars are usually disappointed if we don't have them with us. If a place is new to us we will ask first and accept whatever the "rule" is. In 30+ years of dog ownership we have only ever been asked to move once, very politely, by a lady who explained she was allergic to dog hair.

If we know dogs are not allowed we simply don't use them, which is one reason (among many!) why we never go anywhere near a Weatherspoons. wink

ADP1963 replied on 31/12/2021 10:04

Posted on 31/12/2021 10:04

In my view you don't need a dog as a reason to avoid Witherspoons  Moulsey yell When we had dogs over the 56 years, we used the criteria of if the dogs were not welcome then so we were not either. We respected everybody's views and rulings and adhered to them. Just our views and lifestyle.

replied on 31/12/2021 11:33

Posted on 31/12/2021 10:04 by ADP1963

In my view you don't need a dog as a reason to avoid Witherspoons  Moulsey yell When we had dogs over the 56 years, we used the criteria of if the dogs were not welcome then so we were not either. We respected everybody's views and rulings and adhered to them. Just our views and lifestyle.

Posted on 31/12/2021 11:33

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

JVB66 replied on 31/12/2021 11:42

Posted on 31/12/2021 11:33 by

I can think of a very  good reason to avoid Wetherspoons and it has nothing to do with dogsyell

Posted on 31/12/2021 11:42

But not all the clients were that bad in all their premises before we found out they did not all dogs although the one at  Lymington  let us in with ours and the clients  were quite nice as wellundecided 

SeasideBill replied on 31/12/2021 12:20

Posted on 31/12/2021 11:33 by

I can think of a very  good reason to avoid Wetherspoons and it has nothing to do with dogsyell

Posted on 31/12/2021 12:20

Cheap beer with your breakfast…..what’s not to like? 😉

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook