#3500 lives – what are your tips for safe driving?

RochelleCC replied on 10/03/2017 10:34

Posted on 10/03/2017 10:34

Today the FIA launched their #3500lives road safety campaign. The campaign is designed to raise awareness of the risk factors faced by drivers through a series of powerful posters which tackle key issues such as texting whilst driving, using a child safety seat correctly, checking tyres and stopping when tired.

We think that this is an extremely worthwhile cause, and I’d love to hear your thoughts on the campaign.

What are your top tips for safe driving?

You can find out more about the campaign at www.fia.com

ABM replied on 10/03/2017 22:06

Posted on 10/03/2017 22:06

Diabetics    --  Obey  the  rules for    Blood  Sugar  Levels  before  Driving    and  check  at  two  to  three hourly  intervals  but  only  ( like  'phones )  when  stationary  OFF  the  Road  !!

fredsautos replied on 11/03/2017 07:31

Posted on 11/03/2017 07:31

Learn to ride a motorcycle! You will then understand that looking well ahead is the key to surviving, apparently most car drivers only look 10 metres ahead 

Justus2 replied on 11/03/2017 08:53

Posted on 11/03/2017 07:31 by fredsautos

Learn to ride a motorcycle! You will then understand that looking well ahead is the key to surviving, apparently most car drivers only look 10 metres ahead 

Posted on 11/03/2017 08:53

Indeed.....It could be very different if all car drivers had spent some time on a M/C before they went on the road with a big protective steel box around them wink

Not that all bikers are safe, far from it, there are some right numpties, but when I had a bike I was much more cautious of what others might do.....

Pippah45 replied on 11/03/2017 09:08

Posted on 11/03/2017 09:08

I wonder if some motorists were actually taught to look only 10 metres ahead?  I have been a passenger of such a driver winding our way through the countryside - I braced myself because I had seen a Double Decker bus coming!  My driver was taken by surprise and even more surprised when I said I had seen it coming.  "I only look there" he said indicating about 10 ms!  I don't know where I learnt to read the road ahead - possibly cycling or Cross country eventing on a horse - but also likely the few lessons I had on advanced driver training. 

PhilHeller replied on 11/03/2017 19:35

Posted on 11/03/2017 19:35

With regard to looking ahead my father, one of the worst drivers I was ever unfortunate to be a passenger with, gave me one bit of great advice, 'always keep an eye on the car in front of the car in front of you'.

DSB replied on 11/03/2017 19:43

Posted on 11/03/2017 19:43

Last year I was unfortunate/ fortunate enough to 'have to take advantage of' a speed awareness course. I know these courses vary considerably, but I have to say, I found this particular presentation quite useful and it was a good refresher.  It also makes you aware about how much to know or think you know about driving.

Put your hands up if other than when you've been caught, you can honestly say you've never broken the speed limit......... that's no-one then!!  Be safe - don't speed.

David 

Pippah45 replied on 11/03/2017 20:43

Posted on 11/03/2017 20:43

I learnt a lot at naughty drivers school too.  I think refresher courses would be a great idea.  About 5 years ago a friend went on a course for older drivers run by her district council which she said was great.  In these days of austerity I don't suppose any are run.  I think refreshers for older drivers would be good.  For those who don't know and haven't guessed I am over 70!  

Thornsett replied on 12/03/2017 09:51

Posted on 12/03/2017 09:51

Be considerate to other road users and pedestrians. Makes you feel good.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 12/03/2017 11:12

Posted on 11/03/2017 19:43 by DSB

Last year I was unfortunate/ fortunate enough to 'have to take advantage of' a speed awareness course. I know these courses vary considerably, but I have to say, I found this particular presentation quite useful and it was a good refresher.  It also makes you aware about how much to know or think you know about driving.

Put your hands up if other than when you've been caught, you can honestly say you've never broken the speed limit......... that's no-one then!!  Be safe - don't speed.

David 

Posted on 12/03/2017 11:12

+1 DSB. The bit of the course that still resonates with me is-'funnel vision not tunnel vision' I'd like to think that I too took away valuable lessons from the coursesmile

redface replied on 13/03/2017 20:27

Posted on 13/03/2017 20:27

Ah Triky - that'll be passing port to port then will it??

Don't know about you, but I tend to pass oncoming traffic starboard to starboard. I find it a lot safer on the roadslaughing

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook