#3500 lives – what are your tips for safe driving?

RochelleCC replied on 10/03/2017 10:34

Posted on 10/03/2017 10:34

Today the FIA launched their #3500lives road safety campaign. The campaign is designed to raise awareness of the risk factors faced by drivers through a series of powerful posters which tackle key issues such as texting whilst driving, using a child safety seat correctly, checking tyres and stopping when tired.

We think that this is an extremely worthwhile cause, and I’d love to hear your thoughts on the campaign.

What are your top tips for safe driving?

You can find out more about the campaign at www.fia.com

LeTouriste replied on 14/03/2017 17:40

Posted on 14/03/2017 17:40

The first thing is to ensure your vehicle (and caravan where applicable) is fully and properly maintained in every aspect.  Don't rely on 1.6mm tyre tread depths -  I discard my tyres at a minimum depth of 3mm, based on the wear/performance graphs of the tyre manufacturers.

Drive in accordance with the Highway Code, don't speed and always maintain an adequate stopping distance from the vehicle ahead.

Don't allow yourself to drive to the point where you are tired, and plan frequent 'coffee break' stops on a long journey.

Always plan your route ahead and allow for possible delays along the way, and never place yourself in a situation where you feel that you must meet a tight time schedule.

hadston replied on 17/03/2017 14:26

Posted on 17/03/2017 14:26

Always be alert and anticipate danger. For example if a ball comes into the road good chances are a child will follow. Always keep distance. Use all your mirrors. Always watch your speed and drive as conditions demand. Always expect drivers to do something stupid. 

BlueVanMan replied on 18/03/2017 06:35

Posted on 18/03/2017 06:35

Much good advice above. The particular thing that underpins virtually all of it is good observation. This involves extending where you look and in some situations particularly non urban,  improving sight lines by vehicle positioning. For example your forward view will be compromised if you are too close to the vehicle in front and by moving closer to the kerb you may be able to see round a bend sooner or indeed past the vehicle in front. There are many tricks for example you can see a joining vehicles wheels turning before you can identify whole vehicle movement. 

Extended forward observation has advantages irrespective of whether you  are towing, or in a van  car or motorcycle. Police advanced drivers are trained to look very far ahead and process what they observe into a rolling driving plan.

Less experienced drivers drive reactively which is less safe and less relaxing. 

greylag replied on 20/03/2017 08:11

Posted on 20/03/2017 08:11

My brother said  to me the other day that 40 years ago someone told him to treat everyone on the road as an idiot, because most the time you will be right.  I asked him who told him that and he said 'you'!

Never knew I was so clever!

Pippah45 replied on 20/03/2017 09:23

Posted on 20/03/2017 09:23

I remember someone telling me that too!  I also told my children to ALWAYS indicate a change of direction because even if they were doing something silly at least everyone else would know! 

QFour replied on 27/03/2017 17:55

Posted on 27/03/2017 17:55

36 Posts and nobody has mentioned it ..

WEIGHT 

With so many of the new MH's being advertised as under 3500kg how many people actually bother to take the MH fully loaded with everything you are taking with you, including passengers, the dog, food, water, bikes, awning etc etc down to the weigh bridge and get it

WEIGHED

A 3500Kg MH with a 275Kg payload is useless and all you are doing is putting other peoples lives at risk by overloading it. 

peegeenine replied on 27/03/2017 18:32

Posted on 27/03/2017 17:55 by QFour

36 Posts and nobody has mentioned it ..

WEIGHT 

With so many of the new MH's being advertised as under 3500kg how many people actually bother to take the MH fully loaded with everything you are taking with you, including passengers, the dog, food, water, bikes, awning etc etc down to the weigh bridge and get it

WEIGHED

A 3500Kg MH with a 275Kg payload is useless and all you are doing is putting other peoples lives at risk by overloading it. 

Posted on 27/03/2017 18:32

Not necessarily. Most MHs plated at 3500kg actually have a design weight of 3650/ 3700kg and as such, although illegal if exceeding their plated weight, they may still be operating within their design limits.
I totally agree that a lot of 3500kg MHs are probably not fit for purpose.

QFour replied on 27/03/2017 19:04

Posted on 27/03/2017 18:32 by peegeenine

Not necessarily. Most MHs plated at 3500kg actually have a design weight of 3650/ 3700kg and as such, although illegal if exceeding their plated weight, they may still be operating within their design limits.
I totally agree that a lot of 3500kg MHs are probably not fit for purpose.

Posted on 27/03/2017 19:04

Dependent on what licence you have. Someone who has lost his C1 licence or someone new to MH's can drive one up to 3500Kg but they will be breaking the law if they are over the magic number.

If you are overweight you may not be Insured if you have an accident. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook