#3500 lives – what are your tips for safe driving?

RochelleCC replied on 10/03/2017 10:34

Posted on 10/03/2017 10:34

Today the FIA launched their #3500lives road safety campaign. The campaign is designed to raise awareness of the risk factors faced by drivers through a series of powerful posters which tackle key issues such as texting whilst driving, using a child safety seat correctly, checking tyres and stopping when tired.

We think that this is an extremely worthwhile cause, and I’d love to hear your thoughts on the campaign.

What are your top tips for safe driving?

You can find out more about the campaign at www.fia.com

alanannej replied on 10/04/2017 19:41

Posted on 10/04/2017 19:41

Take an Advanced driving course - teaches you far more than the limited amount taught just to get you through the test!  Reading the road for a start, not just what is immediately in front of you. AND a towing and manouevering course - not just a plug for the Club's version - others are available - check out HGV training places! Having said that, I didn't do the latter, but was brought up on a farm and was reversing 4 wheel trailers aged 14!

William842 replied on 12/04/2017 20:36

Posted on 12/04/2017 20:36

ALWAYS drive  at a speed that you can stop within the distance that you can see to be clear. No matter what the road and, or, the weather conditions may be. Remember, wet roads double the stopping distance and icy surfaces ten times normal stopping distances. Never drink and drive, use your mobile on the move, and do not drive when tired or stressed. Driving requires 100% concentration, no less.

driveabilityjohn replied on 17/04/2017 09:26

Posted on 17/04/2017 09:26

not all drivers stick to the speed limit, even those with a van on the back. It is downright dangerous, and illegal,  to drive too fast. When driving on the limit, how many times have we been overtaken by both types of drivers? keep it safe out there!

PeterCooper26 replied on 01/05/2017 15:51

Posted on 01/05/2017 15:51

Some good tips for safer driving there.   

A week or two ago had to find Craigie Gardens site for the first time.  Directions in the Green Book are usually excellent.  This time some difficulty.   Things were not made easier on the approach  with a renamed road and a new roundabout.

Merve replied on 01/05/2017 19:25

Posted on 01/05/2017 19:25

The biggest killer on the roads today is the mobile phone! Fact! Speed is another- slow down- you need to drive within yours and the vehicles capabilities! Drive for the mistakes of others. An example- if a guy is right up your chuff box with no room to stop if something happens, then slow off and increase your stopping distance between you and the car in front thereby giving braindead Dick at the back time to stop too without piling into the back of you. If you can't count 2 seconds between the car in front reaching a marker and you arriving at it, you're too close and as William says- allow much more for wear and icy roads.. I could go on but won't 

SusanD replied on 09/06/2017 17:23

Posted on 10/03/2017 11:10 by Metheven

I think good signage is important, not having to lean out the window and thinking "Is that the CL we are looking for". Clarity in all road signs is a given in aiding the motorist.

Posted on 09/06/2017 17:23

Also, it would be very helpful if road signs were cleaned once in a while! 

Amesford replied on 25/06/2017 09:50

Posted on 01/05/2017 19:25 by Merve

The biggest killer on the roads today is the mobile phone! Fact! Speed is another- slow down- you need to drive within yours and the vehicles capabilities! Drive for the mistakes of others. An example- if a guy is right up your chuff box with no room to stop if something happens, then slow off and increase your stopping distance between you and the car in front thereby giving braindead Dick at the back time to stop too without piling into the back of you. If you can't count 2 seconds between the car in front reaching a marker and you arriving at it, you're too close and as William says- allow much more for wear and icy roads.. I could go on but won't 

Posted on 25/06/2017 09:50

I agree there is nothing more distrcacting than someone filling your rear view mirror but I always leave 3 seconds between me and the car in front not only doI have time to brake I can see further ahead

1 and 2 and 3 is three seconds  

ixam elbon replied on 04/07/2017 14:43

Posted on 04/07/2017 14:43

Leaving a good distance between yourself and the vehicle in front will cover nearly everything else others have mentioned. This is a defensive driving style that will give you time to think, react, and may save yours and others lives. KEEP YOUR DISTANCE and take your time. You will feel better for it. On the plus side you will get more miles per gallon with less wear and tear of you vehicle. Happy Caravanning.

alanannej replied on 24/07/2017 16:50

Posted on 24/07/2017 16:50

Many many moons ago, my Police driving instructor took one session on driving without using brakes. That REALLY does teach you to look ahead and anticipate. (He also came up with the 'assume the other guy is an eejit'!)

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook