#3500 lives – what are your tips for safe driving?

RochelleCC replied on 10/03/2017 10:34

Posted on 10/03/2017 10:34

Today the FIA launched their #3500lives road safety campaign. The campaign is designed to raise awareness of the risk factors faced by drivers through a series of powerful posters which tackle key issues such as texting whilst driving, using a child safety seat correctly, checking tyres and stopping when tired.

We think that this is an extremely worthwhile cause, and I’d love to hear your thoughts on the campaign.

What are your top tips for safe driving?

You can find out more about the campaign at www.fia.com

Kennine replied on 11/03/2018 09:36

Posted on 11/03/2018 09:36

Before starting your engine -- Switch off your phone and fasten your seat belt.

replied on 14/04/2018 16:42

Posted on 14/04/2018 16:42

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Roger8259 replied on 02/08/2018 08:44

Posted on 02/08/2018 08:44

I adopt a " I'm on holiday" approach to traveling. I plan my route, even googling the final approach to make sure its not too narrow. I drive at a speed I feel comfortable and try to think a head and behind. I'm watching my mirrors for that lorry ot tanker that is going to cause the snake or the boy racer that is going to cut in front of me causing me to break harshly especially going down hill. 

When planning my trip I allow extra time and work out a rough time frame allowing for trafic and the extra weight and my traveling speed. Good luck campers

Wildwood replied on 12/01/2019 12:44

Posted on 12/01/2019 12:44

Having dealt with many thousands of motor claims in my life the basic accidents are due to people turning right accross oncoming traffic, pulling out of side roads and running into the back of the car in front plus  pedestrians being hit.

Basically all are usually down to lack of concentration or not leaving sufficient room between you and the car in front.

You get the odd idiot overtaking when it is not safe or jumping red lights but that is something usually down to silly risk taking and impatience. There is very little you can do about the people who do this or drive drunk so it is really a risk of driving.

Concentrating on the road ahead and not getting distracted by passengers or changing radio programs, or cds or operating heater or other controls is easily the main point here. Under no circumstances drive while tired, as that is possibly the worst thing where concentration is concerned.

Lambdrover replied on 26/07/2019 11:39

Posted on 26/07/2019 11:39

Observe

Risk Assess

Drive

This is how I plan my journey. I look at what will have an impact such as weather, road condition, type of road, road traffic etc etc.Then I approach my journey accordingly. 

My father taught me to have 360 degree vision which simply means being fully aware of everything around you. 

Of course when towing we need to have that extra spatial awareness over and above other road users.

JVB66 replied on 26/07/2019 16:03

Posted on 26/07/2019 16:03

I tend to drive towing or not, by treating all other road users as learners and expect them to be unsure of what they are doing,it seems so far in the 60yrs i have held a full licence to have kept me out of any real problemscool

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook