#3500 lives – what are your tips for safe driving?

RochelleCC replied on 10/03/2017 10:34

Posted on 10/03/2017 10:34

Today the FIA launched their #3500lives road safety campaign. The campaign is designed to raise awareness of the risk factors faced by drivers through a series of powerful posters which tackle key issues such as texting whilst driving, using a child safety seat correctly, checking tyres and stopping when tired.

We think that this is an extremely worthwhile cause, and I’d love to hear your thoughts on the campaign.

What are your top tips for safe driving?

You can find out more about the campaign at www.fia.com

LeTouriste replied on 09/11/2017 12:30

Posted on 08/11/2017 18:00 by BorderBounders

Read the book Roadcraft, the Police Advanced Driving bible, if you can learn the principals and use them correctly you will be efficient safe and amoungst the best drivers on the road.

Posted on 09/11/2017 12:30

Many years ago I bought a book issued by The Police Foundation, called, "Towing Roadcraft - The essential Towing Handbook."

Very informative, and a guide which I found exceptionally worthwhile to study.  I did once offer to loan it to a fellow caravanning friend, and he turned the offer down with the observation that, "after all these years, reading the book would be a waste of time."

He took offence to my reply that, "When the willingness to accept that it is never too late to continue learning, and that one's driving standard stagnates once the conscious effort to 'do better' is discarded."

Alan237 replied on 27/02/2018 22:40

Posted on 10/03/2017 12:00 by Navigateur

Driving a motor vehicle is an activity that requires full attention.  It is well publicised that it is incompatible with doing other things at the same time such as using a cellular phone, map reading, smoking, eating or arguing with a passenger.  I would even add to the list listening to talking on the radio.  Engaging in these other activities can be done, but it takes brain capacity away from the awareness of surrroundings that is needed to avoid collisions with other road users of all kinds.

A proper annual medical and psycological test would be a great help, as would a regular test of driving ability and standards - and for ALL ages. There is no funding for this but money has to be found for medical attention and victim compensation. Being allowed to drive should be a privilege, not a right.

In the main there are no dangerous roads, only the drivers on them - although the recent fatal bridge collapse in Germany proves the exception.

Posted on 27/02/2018 22:40

Totally agree with this post particularly the first para. Driving should take all of your attention. If members ever get the opportunity to drive on track days on a race circuit or take up any other fast racetrack driving opportunity; it really demonstrates to you how much concentration is required, and if applied in normal driving, really assists your overall driving skills.

replied on 28/02/2018 08:37

Posted on 28/02/2018 08:37

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Merve replied on 06/03/2018 16:15

Posted on 28/02/2018 08:37 by

My tip when the weather is like that of the moment is dont make unecessary journies .

Posted on 06/03/2018 16:15

Don’t think I’ve used my legs so much for a long time- well, since last season anyway David. We have walked everywhere to do our shopping, doctors etc and really enjoyed it while the car sat in the garage out of harms way! It really is worth the effort- and I’ve lost weight- what’s not to like!🤣🤣

tigerfish replied on 10/03/2018 15:22

Posted on 10/03/2018 15:22

This relatively new 3,500 kg weight limit has snuck up on me without thinking!

I was a Police advanced driver and remain a member of the I.A.M. and have driven since 1962 with a clean Licence and no accidents. But I left the Police Service almost 20 years ago now and in truth didn't really worry about the new limits, they were only for very big rigs - or so I thought!

But I'm 73 now with a few aches & pains, the same as everyone else. But setting up my big Coachman Pastiche 565 is getting harder and both the Aquaroll and the wastmaster have got much heavier of late!

So I had the brilliant Idea of exchanging my big Merc Tow car and the Caravan for a Motor Home instead.  No winding of steadies and no fetching & carrying of water.

But the Motor Home salesman looked at me and said that I had to only look at MH's up to 3500 Kg's.  That lurking snake in the grass had bitten me!  

I suppose that I can find a MH to suite, but the whole thing got me thinking, - What's the combined weight of my ML and caravan?  I bet that its close to that?  Ooh er!  Better check I suppose!  Don't want to get into trouble at this time of life!

TF

EmilysDad replied on 10/03/2018 15:35

Posted on 10/03/2018 15:35

My R Class (think ML crossed with a people carrier) and Coachman 620/4 weigh in at around 4 tonne.

Don't you just need a medical to retain your B&E 😞

tigerfish replied on 10/03/2018 16:11

Posted on 10/03/2018 16:11

Yes, Found the regs now and I have retained my B+E.

What does seem strange is that at apparently at the age 0f 70 you lose your C1 - light goods, the category that the majority of MH's fall under.

So as I read it, - at 73 I can continue quite legally to  tow my heavy trailer behind my equally heavy car.  But I am no longer permitted to drive a MH over 3,500 Kgs, - some 500 Kgs less than my car & Caravan ??  Seems odd in some ways when you think that a heavy caravan rig is more likely to become unstable that the MH.

Ah well it pretty academical in my case. I have not yet decided to change & if I do so it will be in the Up To 3500 class anyway. its just intriguing. 

TF

Tinwheeler replied on 10/03/2018 16:35

Posted on 10/03/2018 16:35

Have you checked this out, TF?

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/advice-and-training/advice-for-beginners/driving-licences/

At 70 you can drive a vehicle of up to 3500kg all up weight and tow whatever that vehicle is legally allowed to tow. 

That is one reason MHs of 3500 are very popular although some have totally inadequate payload allowances.

Also, if the unladen weight of a MH is below 3050kg (repeat 3050) then you can drive at the same speed limits as cars and use the outside lane of a m/way providing you aren't towing.

Happy to help any time.

Outdoor Lady replied on 10/03/2018 16:49

Posted on 10/03/2018 16:49

My tip don't be distracted by loose dogs or children, make sure they are all securely buckled in or in crates...Hmm children in crates, why hasn't anyone thought of that before.surprised

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook