#3500 lives ā€“ what are your tips for safe driving?

RochelleCC replied on 10/03/2017 10:34

Posted on 10/03/2017 10:34

Today the FIA launched their #3500lives road safety campaign. The campaign is designed to raise awareness of the risk factors faced by drivers through a series of powerful posters which tackle key issues such as texting whilst driving, using a child safety seat correctly, checking tyres and stopping when tired.

We think that this is an extremely worthwhile cause, and I’d love to hear your thoughts on the campaign.

What are your top tips for safe driving?

You can find out more about the campaign at www.fia.com

Hallsontour replied on 30/09/2017 06:44

Posted on 30/09/2017 06:44

Join your local group of Advanced drivers, have a little tuition and take your Advanced Driving test. Not only do you get instruction on safer driving but you'll also learn to drive in a way that is better for your car causing less stress and better fuel economy. 

I know everyone has their own views about their driving standards but if you're really serious about being safe and good for the environment then do something positive about it šŸ˜Š Go for your Advanced test, you're never too old to learn and pick up new tricks.

geoffeales replied on 11/10/2017 15:48

Posted on 11/10/2017 15:48

Drive according to the conditions and keep a safe distance behind the vehicle ahead. As a young PC many years ago I attended a road traffic accident between a car and motorcycle. The road was covered in black ice and as no one was seriously injured I didn't report either of the drivers. On return to the station my sergeant gave me a right ticking off, "there's no such thing as an accident, if both drivers were driving/riding according to he prevailing road conditions this collision wouldn't have happened". I'll never forget that lesson!

Ricochet replied on 29/10/2017 17:00

Posted on 10/03/2017 10:34 by RochelleCC

Today the FIA launched their #3500lives road safety campaign. The campaign is designed to raise awareness of the risk factors faced by drivers through a series of powerful posters which tackle key issues such as texting whilst driving, using a child safety seat correctly, checking tyres and stopping when tired.

We think that this is an extremely worthwhile cause, and Iā€™d love to hear your thoughts on the campaign.

What are your top tips for safe driving?

You can find out more about the campaign at www.fia.com

Posted on 29/10/2017 17:00

After driving around 50,000 miles a year every year for the last 50 years all over Europe, (Not in a lorry) I am possibly qualified to make the following observation.

To save lives remove politics from the road. Any 13 year old physics scolar can tell you that Speed Does Not Kill. It is the DIFERENCE in speed that kills. As long as politicians with are allowed to reduce speed limits throughout entire counties in an ad hoc manner. Place Hazards in the middle of main trunk roads (speed humps).

Both the above make our roads far more dangerous than necessary by causing inappropriate speed differences between vehicles.

In the first instance you get the following instead of drivers driving at the appropriate speed for the road.

1) The drivers who religiously stick to the limit as indicated by their speedometer. (Normally about 10% below the actual speed of the vehicle.

2) The drivers who have accurate speedo's  and stick to the limit.

3) The drivers who know there are no speed cameras along this stretch and drive at the appropriate speed for the road.

Consequently you have at least 3 levels of speed instead of one, with at lest 2 of the drivers eyesight glued to there speedo,s instead of the road.

In the instance of speed humps you have the same situation where some drivers, correctly slow to a walking pace and avoid ripping there tires on the edges, mixed in with wide wheel based vehicles, busses, vans, lorries etc. that can straddle the humps and can be travelling at a speed difference of 25 mph to the cautious drivers.

I have gone on too long already. However I do feel strongly that the club should do everything in its power to lobby for a complete rethink of safety on our roads.

replied on 29/10/2017 18:19

Posted on 29/10/2017 18:19

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

DaveT replied on 02/11/2017 12:37

Posted on 02/11/2017 12:37

The only relative constant is the car/caravan combination or the motorhome. The big issue is Human Factors which relates to issues that many respondents have already eluded to. In other words, making sure you are rested for the journey, not distracted with the vehicle occupants, nor distracted using the plethora of gadgets available to the driver. Sadly, the authorities seem to be maintaining their stance of ensuring that we keep our eyes glued to the speedo as opposed to be driving within the limits of the vehicle and the prevailing conditions. As always the attitude is treat the symptoms of accidents instead of the root cause. As long as someone is fined or prosecuted, revenue is generated then box ticked. So I guess the common sense of our club members suggestions are all good, just remove the human and put a machine in its place. Just be aware that being a human being is not good enough for the authorities.  

LeTouriste replied on 05/11/2017 11:05

Posted on 10/03/2017 12:50 by JillwithaJay

Many years ago, Lancashire Constabulary Motor Driving School told me to drive as though every other driver on the road is an idiot and, therefore, you have to think not only for yourself but for them as well. 

Posted on 05/11/2017 11:05

This advice has been around since the year dot.  My instructor said that it was only relevant if you yourself don't also drive like an idiot.  For myself, I am permanently self-critical of my own driving standards.  The list of DO's and DONT'S is almost endless.  Among the top ones are, for me:

(1)Always drive within the speed limit for the road.  (2)Don't treat the limit as a target speed - a lower speed is regularly needed for safety.  (3)Drive at a good distance from the vehicle in front - this reduces the blind spot angle ahead and gives you more clarity of what's happening ahead.  (4)When waiting for oncoming traffic to clear for you to turn right, keep your front wheels pointing ahead - in the event of a rear shunt this will prevent you from being pushed into the oncoming traffic. (5)Do not rush up to junctions or up to vehicles waiting in front - any sudden mechanical failure, or your foot slipping on the floor controls, can greatly reduce your ability (time) for you to correct things.  (6)Do not change lanes without signalling and be sure to allow following drivers time to react, and ensure they are giving way before completing your manoeuvre.  (7)Always give way to an aggressive driver, even where you should have priority. Any stubbornness on your part which results in a collision makes you as bad as that driver.  (8)Always ensure that your vehicle/outfit is maintained to the highest possible standard. 

I am sure that everyone can think of many more equally important suggestions.

BorderBounders replied on 08/11/2017 18:00

Posted on 08/11/2017 18:00

Read the book Roadcraft, the Police Advanced Driving bible, if you can learn the principals and use them correctly you will be efficient safe and amoungst the best drivers on the road.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook