#3500 lives – what are your tips for safe driving?

RochelleCC replied on 10/03/2017 10:34

Posted on 10/03/2017 10:34

Today the FIA launched their #3500lives road safety campaign. The campaign is designed to raise awareness of the risk factors faced by drivers through a series of powerful posters which tackle key issues such as texting whilst driving, using a child safety seat correctly, checking tyres and stopping when tired.

We think that this is an extremely worthwhile cause, and I’d love to hear your thoughts on the campaign.

What are your top tips for safe driving?

You can find out more about the campaign at www.fia.com

EmilysDad replied on 28/05/2020 09:36

Posted on 27/05/2020 13:51 by robinofstackpole

I was given similar advice back in the 70's when being taught to fly in the Royal Navy, about other pilots and also drivers on the road.

I have since then heard about look OUT and added OFF

O Over 

U Under

T Through 

OFF use reflections off parked cars windows etc. to get information around corners.

Try also to look at the vehicles 2 or 3 in front, not just the one immediately in front as they will give early indications of breaking. 

Posted on 28/05/2020 09:36

Try also to look at the vehicles 2 or 3 in front, not just the one immediately in front as they will give early indications of breaking.

Is that breaking down or just braking? πŸ˜‰

geoffeales replied on 09/11/2020 15:27

Posted on 09/11/2020 15:27

My golden rule is always to allow plenty of time/space to take avoiding action. In terms of towing, careful loading with all heavy items (spare wheel, jack, awning etc) in the car and keeping the speed down, all too often of late I've been overtaken by outfits travelling way over 60mph. I think we often take stabilisers too much for granted.  One last point, especially on motorways, what's going on behind you is just as important as what's ahead!

DEBSC replied on 09/10/2021 18:01

Posted on 09/10/2021 11:28 by cyberyacht

They do seem to attract a certain type of driver, don't they.

Posted on 09/10/2021 18:01

Cheeky things! I drive a Juke now but always drove micras previously. Great little cars. It’s sometimes other drivers, who assume you will be ultra slow and try to cut you up that were the problem. My micras always pulled away from the lights quickly, leaving the driver who was reving his engine and thought he would cut in front behind. Wish my Juke did.

redface replied on 09/10/2021 19:31

Posted on 09/10/2021 19:31

Beware of Nissan Micras
1 person likes this

My missus will have your guts for garters if she ever reads this!

Be Warned!

EmilysDad replied on 09/10/2021 19:54

Posted on 09/10/2021 18:01 by DEBSC

Cheeky things! I drive a Juke now but always drove micras previously. Great little cars. It’s sometimes other drivers, who assume you will be ultra slow and try to cut you up that were the problem. My micras always pulled away from the lights quickly, leaving the driver who was reving his engine and thought he would cut in front behind. Wish my Juke did.

Posted on 09/10/2021 19:54

...  It’s sometimes other drivers, who assume you will be ultra slow and try to cut you up that were the problem

Try driving a Smart .. you get exactly the same thing 😣

kenexton replied on 10/10/2021 10:35

Posted on 10/10/2021 10:35

Passed motorcycle test 1970 holding a motorcycle licence,ever since.Passed driving test 1974 and driving,cars vans motorhomes etc,towing trailers/caravans I have learned to read the road,read the signs of other drivers' road behaviour and to hang back and anticipate "situations" before they develop rather than rushing up to them and then having to extricate yourself from said situation.Look behind and around you constantly as well as ahead.Oh, and still to "make progress" whenever it is safe to do so to keep traffic flowing.Never loose your temper behind the wheel whatever other drivers do to "upset" you- a vehicle is like a loaded gun and should be handled as such-with the utmost care for those around you.

Amesford replied on 10/10/2021 14:27

Posted on 10/10/2021 14:27

Some years ago as  a special constable I was asked to have my driving assessed before being allowed to drive a police vehicle the first  thing I was told was to look up and not just look at the car in front  and of course the two second rule 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook