No Calor Gas bottles

AlastairPhoenix replied on 29/03/2021 19:11

Posted on 29/03/2021 19:11

Bought a new Bailey Phoenix 440 and taking delivery next week. Dealer has no bottles due to national shortage at Calor. I'm a nearly-newbie (used to caravan 15 years ago) so I have no bottle.

I have been trying without success to find a bottle......what a strange time we live in! So new caravan and no gas.

I am in central Scotland so I'm hoping as we get out of lockdown I can go further afield and pick up a bottle somewhere then once I'm in the 'calor club' I can go and exchange it for a full one.

Until then, mains only......

Any ideas?

JVB66 replied on 01/11/2021 12:29

Posted on 01/11/2021 12:25 by GTrimmer

That comment requires clarification - a lot of clarification !

Posted on 01/11/2021 12:29

As does yours if you quote those sort of differences in prices? surprised

I was just comparing ,your prices with what would be the realitywink

GTrimmer replied on 01/11/2021 12:32

Posted on 01/11/2021 12:29 by JVB66

As does yours if you quote those sort of differences in prices? surprised

I was just comparing ,your prices with what would be the realitywink

Posted on 01/11/2021 12:32

My prices ? I've quoted no prices on site fees AFAIK.

Cornersteady replied on 01/11/2021 12:35

Posted on 01/11/2021 10:36 by cyberyacht

Whilst always being on EHU does negate any advantage of a refillable due to the reduced LPG consumption I have noticed that, with ever increasing sizes of fridges/freezers in vans, the gas consumption, when used, is far more than "the old days". Equally the differential between a EHU pitch and a non- EHU pitch is usually around £15-£20 per night and that's a lot of 'leccy.

Posted on 01/11/2021 12:35

Equally the differential between a EHU pitch and a non- EHU pitch is usually around £15-£20 per night and that's a lot of 'leccy.

sorry CY have I got this right, are you saying the price difference between an EHU pitch and non EHU is £15 to £20 per night? An extra £15+ per night for EHU? What site(s) is that? 

SteveL replied on 01/11/2021 12:53

Whilst always being on EHU does negate any advantage of a refillable due to the reduced LPG consumption I have noticed that, with ever increasing sizes of fridges/freezers in vans, the gas consumption, when used, is far more than "the old days". Equally the differential between a EHU pitch and a non- EHU pitch is usually around £15-£20 per night and that's a lot of 'leccy.

Posted on 01/11/2021 12:53

Agree with you on the fridge / freezer. Ours fairly gobbles gas. I didn’t install the system with a view to saving money, more the need not to manhandle heavy cylinders. However, as it turns out , over its life it will more than pay for itself even with our limited off grid camping.

Do not agree re the prices. Where we have used off grid, two Aires were more expensive than those with a 6 amp supply. It’s all about location sometimes, rather than cost.

nelliethehooker replied on 01/11/2021 20:20

Posted on 01/11/2021 20:20

CY, the CL we have just left, one that you have used, had a price difference of £3 between non and EHU pitches, ie £12 for non EHU and £15 with hookup.

young thomas replied on 02/11/2021 08:24

Posted on 01/11/2021 12:53 by SteveL

Agree with you on the fridge / freezer. Ours fairly gobbles gas. I didn’t install the system with a view to saving money, more the need not to manhandle heavy cylinders. However, as it turns out , over its life it will more than pay for itself even with our limited off grid camping.

Do not agree re the prices. Where we have used off grid, two Aires were more expensive than those with a 6 amp supply. It’s all about location sometimes, rather than cost.

Posted on 02/11/2021 08:24

I posted on another thread that things don't have to be an 'either/or' these days. Also, the decision doesn't have to involve the installation of a 12v only fridge unit.

with a 3way fridge and a good sunny solar set up, some regulators can send a signal to the fridge to switch to 12v (like when driving, but when parked) and make use of excess sunshine once batteries are full...say by mid morning.

this would reduce gas usage when off grid, switching back to gas only when solar supply can't keep up with fridge 12v use.

cyberyacht replied on 02/11/2021 12:08

Posted on 02/11/2021 12:08

My apologies if my previous post created confusion. I was, of course, comparing the differential between a non EHU CL and the average CAMC/commercial price as was picked up by JVB.

eribaMotters replied on 24/01/2022 16:31

Posted on 24/01/2022 16:31

Back on track, I tried to locate a Calor Lite refill end of last week as after 5 seasons and a winter trip on the horizon it is finally running very low. I used the Calor website to find agents and phoned up those in my surrounding area. No luck and then eventually I chanced upon a listing for my local C&MC site, Southport. They had two and I duly relieved them of one. How had I managed to miss the potential source is beyond me, so it could be worth a try if you are in need and as daft as I am.

On another forum a fellow van owner was also searching and came across a change in Calor bottle rental agreement that was not detailed on there site. You can now only swap bottles on a like for like basis, ie exactly the same bottle when it come to the Calor Lite, such is the short supply still.

Colin

brue replied on 24/01/2022 16:47

Posted on 24/01/2022 16:47

It's all worth a repeat mention Colin as supplies are still short. There was a discussion on BBC Radio 4 at lunchtime today about the general delay in supplies and it appears to be mostly down to a lack of delivery drivers. They were hoping the shorter Covid isolation rules might improve the situation.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook