How to thrive on a non 240v site!

Merve replied on 16/01/2017 17:56

Posted on 16/01/2017 17:56

Due to difficulties migrating the original thread, which was massively interesting and popular with members, I am starting another one until the original can be found and  migrated to the Forum.  I apologise to the original OP but I think this is far too important not to be available. Personally, I think, because of the massive moves in technology recently, this subject should have a section by itself. I don't suppose the CC would think about that? So, anything about Solar Panels, LED lighting, Inverters, Safefill even. Anything that assists the caravanners to go off grid in fact - and saves money!!

Merve replied on 04/04/2019 20:56

Posted on 04/04/2019 20:56

To listen to the webinar regarding Relion lithium batteries, (not the make I have)  go to YouTube and search for ‘ Relion 101 webinar recording’ It is full of useful info and comparisons. The sound quality is not perfect but you will be able to stay with it. It lasts for about an hour. 

replied on 04/04/2019 21:22

Posted on 04/04/2019 20:56 by Merve

To listen to the webinar regarding Relion lithium batteries, (not the make I have)  go to YouTube and search for ‘ Relion 101 webinar recording’ It is full of useful info and comparisons. The sound quality is not perfect but you will be able to stay with it. It lasts for about an hour. 

Posted on 04/04/2019 21:22

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

cyberyacht replied on 05/04/2019 07:51

Posted on 05/04/2019 07:51

Whilst the flexibility of being off grid is welcome, in order to obtain the financial benefits expounded it is necessary to specifically seek out non EHU sites. That actually restricts your choice rather than widens it as the majority of sites are EHU. Unless such sites offer a non hookup option, there is no saving.

The lithium route is, I submit, probably only viable for younger Vanners who can take a long-term flexible view. I regret not being able to use my microwave or charge our E-Bikes when not on EHU but those restrictions are overcome by using a location that has EHU every so often, otherwise "le monde ce'st moi huitre".

ocsid replied on 05/04/2019 08:48

Posted on 05/04/2019 08:48

"The lithium route is, I submit, probably only viable for younger Vanners who can take a long-term flexible view."

Or as in Merve's case where his need for very high current drains will quickly wreck any sensibly sized LA battery bank, making lithium in some form or other simply essential to meet his needs.

They also permit exploitation of a very big Wattage solar array by accepting charge rates that again would be wrecking sensibly sized LA. In this, if you can carry a large array, you can better garner the solar energy available.

However, this comes presently at very high cost relative to using LA for those more typical users who's usage is within the capabilities of LA technology.

Merve replied on 05/04/2019 10:31

Posted on 04/04/2019 21:22 by

Do Relion batteries carrying the E-Mark for road use (not to be confused with the CE mark for transport)?

Posted on 05/04/2019 10:31

I can’t tell you DD, I don’t have a ReLion Battery. I’ll see if I can find out or it may be apparent on the webinar. I didn’t notice it but then I wasn’t looking for it so perhaps you will notice it if you decide to watch it. 

Merve replied on 05/04/2019 10:57

Posted on 05/04/2019 10:57

They also permit exploitation of a very big Wattage solar array by accepting charge rates that again would be wrecking sensibly sized LA. In this, if you can carry a large array, you can better garner the solar energy available.

I have gone from 135w to 300w on the new ‘van. The SPs didn’t cost me anything as it was part of a show offer that Coachman very kindly agreed to. What this means in reality is, as Ocsid has already alluded to, is that after a large drain on the battery like using the microwave or toaster, the battery, undamaged,  will be returned to a full SoC more quickly, and be perfectly able to take that charge. As for the argument that seeking out non EHU sites reduces our choice, Many sites give reductions if not using the EHU, however, marking up all the non EHU site on the CMHC map, one can see at a glance that  it is rare that there are no non EHU sites in areas we wish to visit. 

brue replied on 15/05/2019 09:59

Posted on 15/05/2019 09:59

I'm on a non ehu site just now along with 39 others, the site is full, we all seem to be managing well, large and small vans. If you've got solar and gas you don't need much else. smile

100w solar, 2 gas bottles, 1 leisure battery.

Boff replied on 15/05/2019 11:48

Posted on 15/05/2019 09:59 by brue

I'm on a non ehu site just now along with 39 others, the site is full, we all seem to be managing well, large and small vans. If you've got solar and gas you don't need much else. smile

100w solar, 2 gas bottles, 1 leisure battery.

Posted on 15/05/2019 11:48

Don’t panic I’m sure that the emergency services will get to you soon!

derekcyril replied on 15/05/2019 19:19

Posted on 15/05/2019 19:19

I thought this topic was about saving money ?  new coachman ,lovely van ,but youve lost a few grand driving it of forecourt same as a car ,

hitchglitch replied on 15/05/2019 19:46

Posted on 15/05/2019 19:46

There is no doubt that Lithium batteries offer substantial advantages over Lead Acid; for one, I wouldn’t have my electric car if it had to use Lead Acid, however, you need to think very carefully about whether the cost is justified. I have a Lithium battery on my golf trolley - it packed up after 3 years and was replaced under warranty, however, the trolley has reached end of life. Fortunately the battery can be used on the new trolley otherwise the investment would have been wasted.

To do a retrofit in a caravan or motorhome is costly as you also need a completely new charging system. How many people would change their van before getting full use from the investment?

I also wonder about the life of lithium batteries. Cars have an extremely sophisticated battery management system which includes heating/cooling of the battery and very careful monitoring of charge state to protect the life of the battery. Maybe a simple lithium charger like I have with my golf trolley and you would get for a caravan will not maximise the life of the battery?

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook