How to thrive on a non 240v site!

Merve replied on 16/01/2017 17:56

Posted on 16/01/2017 17:56

Due to difficulties migrating the original thread, which was massively interesting and popular with members, I am starting another one until the original can be found and  migrated to the Forum.  I apologise to the original OP but I think this is far too important not to be available. Personally, I think, because of the massive moves in technology recently, this subject should have a section by itself. I don't suppose the CC would think about that? So, anything about Solar Panels, LED lighting, Inverters, Safefill even. Anything that assists the caravanners to go off grid in fact - and saves money!!

Merve replied on 03/06/2019 23:18

Posted on 03/06/2019 23:18

Mitsi, I hope Roadpro can help but Glamorgan is a little further than the journey I have to make. Perhaps you can find an auto electrician in your part of the world but Damian At Roadpro is a wizard with Motor Homes and caravans and understands all the technical issues surrounding Lithium batteries. (Don’t let that worry you)  Hope you get it sorted. If you decide to go down the Lithium route, you won’t be disappointed. It is a world away from a LA battery. 

Brierley replied on 25/07/2019 09:39

Posted on 25/07/2019 09:39

With 30watt and 100watt solar panels and a 800watt modified sine poer inverter will my other half be able to charge her bosch battery powered portabl vacuum.I am new to this off grid malarkey and could do with some advice Thanks.

Tinwheeler replied on 25/07/2019 10:35

Posted on 25/07/2019 10:35

I know one thing - in our house you’d be in trouble for calling it her vacuum cleaner. 😆

I guess it depends on the draw needed to charge it but I imagine it would be fine. If all else fails, there’s always a dustpan and brush. 

DaveCyn replied on 25/07/2019 15:28

Posted on 25/07/2019 09:39 by Brierley

With 30watt and 100watt solar panels and a 800watt modified sine poer inverter will my other half be able to charge her bosch battery powered portabl vacuum.I am new to this off grid malarkey and could do with some advice Thanks.

Posted on 25/07/2019 15:28

Can't see a problem with this.

We use a 100 watt panel with a medium sized inverter & have no problem charging a Dyson handheld. We also use it to charge up the batteries for a mobility scooter. 

We just ensure we charge them up during daylight.

Item's such as mobile phones just plug straight into the 12v sockets with no need to resort to the inverter.

ocsid replied on 25/07/2019 15:47

Posted on 25/07/2019 09:39 by Brierley

Posted on 25/07/2019 15:47

An issue might be the Bosch charger can't cope or suffers from a "modified sine wave" input. If you are brave that is easily explored, but I would see if "Bosch support" answers the question before you try. Though not all modified sine wave inverters are created equal, still you might get a steer from Bosch one way or other, importantly the potential to do damage to the charger.

These expensive electronic devices like Lithium battery chargers are IMO best powered by a "pure sine wave inverter".

young thomas replied on 25/07/2019 17:31

Posted on 25/07/2019 15:28 by DaveCyn

Can't see a problem with this.

We use a 100 watt panel with a medium sized inverter & have no problem charging a Dyson handheld. We also use it to charge up the batteries for a mobility scooter. 

We just ensure we charge them up during daylight.

Item's such as mobile phones just plug straight into the 12v sockets with no need to resort to the inverter.

Posted on 25/07/2019 17:31

same as Dave except sub Bosch ebike batteries for mobility scooter.

our 500w mod sine wave inverter is fine for this...I just need a cheap, very low wattage hair dryer.....

as above, no need for inverters for charging phones/tablets etc.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 25/07/2019 20:28

Posted on 25/07/2019 20:28

“...I just need a cheap, very low wattage hair dryer.....”, Tonsorial elegance eh BB👍🏻😊

young thomas replied on 25/07/2019 21:19

Posted on 25/07/2019 20:28 by Rocky 2 buckets

“...I just need a cheap, very low wattage hair dryer.....”, Tonsorial elegance eh BB👍🏻😊

Posted on 25/07/2019 21:19

nah, I've just got a cheap, very low wattage hair stylewink

Merve replied on 25/07/2019 21:38

Posted on 25/07/2019 15:47 by ocsid

An issue might be the Bosch charger can't cope or suffers from a "modified sine wave" input. If you are brave that is easily explored, but I would see if "Bosch support" answers the question before you try. Though not all modified sine wave inverters are created equal, still you might get a steer from Bosch one way or other, importantly the potential to do damage to the charger.

These expensive electronic devices like Lithium battery chargers are IMO best powered by a "pure sine wave inverter".

Posted on 25/07/2019 21:38

I have to agree with Ocsid. There is no doubt in my mind that with 130 watts and an 800w inverter that you should have enough power. Is your battery in good order though? That is, where the power will come from to do the charging so that should be able to perform its task. I wouldn’t imagine that the draw would be enough to damage the battery which I assume is a LA ?  However, as Ocsid points out, the modified sine wave may be an issue. Sensitive electronics require a pure sine wave but most domestic devices can and do handle a MSW but I would check first. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook