Overseas holiday advice

Caravan driving down the road of a mountain with a coastline view aheadTravelling abroad? Make sure you’re covered. Here you’ll find tips and advice on taking out overseas holiday insurance for total peace of mind when touring abroad.

Before you go

  • If you’re travelling to countries within the EU, it’s best to let your insurer know where you’re going and double check you’re definitely covered.
  • If you’re holidaying outside the EU and certain other European countries, you may need to ask your insurer to issue you with a Green Card (International Certificate of Motor Insurance) which they may charge you extra for. For full details, click here.

Proving you have insurance

For holidays in the EU, a UK Motor Insurance Certificate is accepted as proof of insurance if you’re required to provide it. If you’re travelling outside the EU, you’ll need to ask your insurer to issue you with a Green Card as proof. If you’re issued with a Green Card, your insurer should include reference to anything you’re towing.

If you are asked to provide proof of motor insurance and aren’t able to, you may have to pay for temporary insurance at a country’s border.

What if I get stopped for a routine police check?

If you are stopped by the police for a routine check, it’s best you have the following documents ready:

  • your Vehicle Registration Certificate, (V5C)
  • MOT certificate
  • certificate of motor insurance
  • copy of your CRIS document
  • valid pink EU-format or photo card UK driving licence
  • European Accident Statement (ask your insurer if they can provide you with one before you go)

What if I have an accident?

If you’re involved in an accident or breakdown whilst on holiday abroad and you have to leave the motorhome, car and/or caravan there, make sure:

  • your normal insurance cover is maintained
  • you’ve removed all items of baggage and personal effects before leaving - if this isn’t possible, arrange for your insurance company to cover whatever items remain
  • remove any valuables and items which might attract Customs Duty, including wines and spirits


If you’re visiting Bulgaria or Romania – get a Green Card to be on the safe side. Even though they’re part of the EU, there sometimes can be local difficulties. 

European Holiday Insurance

Providing European breakdown cover and travel insurance with cover for cancellations and medical emergencies.

View holiday insurance options
Trewethett Farm Club Campsite by Aaron Shaw

Caravan Cover

Switch your Caravan Insurance to our Caravan Cover before your current policy ends, and we’ll refund any cancellation fees you have to pay, up to a maximum of £50.

Find out more about Caravan Cover
Fulbeck Heath near Holywell Farm CL by Carol Spinks
Caravan in a field at sunset

Motorhome Insurance

Save with our Defaqto 5 Star Expert rated Motorhome Insurance. We'll beat the renewal quote of your existing insurer by at least £25.

View Motorhome Insurance