Documentation and insurance

When you’re travelling abroad, there are certain documents and insurance that you must have with you. You’ll need to be able to produce these documents if you’re ever stopped by the police.

The specific documentation the police will ask for will vary per country, but the following items are essential to carry with you on any overseas touring holiday, no matter what you’re driving or towing:

For your vehicle(s)

  • proof of ownership of your vehicle(s) (V5C document or VE103 if the vehicle is hired or leased)
  • proof of your MOT (if the vehicle is over three years old)
  • proof of insurance for your vehicle (this should be your certificate of insurance) plus a Green Card, if required. For further information on Green Card requirements, click here.

For you

  • your driving licence
  • your passport
  • an International Driving Permit if required

For more details around International Driving Permits, insurance and Green Cards after Brexit, see our Driving in Europe after Brexit information.

Information - Licence advice

If you hold an all green licence (issued before 1991), this won’t conform to EU standards as it doesn’t have a pictorial representation of what you’re allowed to drive or tow. We advise you update your licence to a photo-card licence, or carry an International Driving Permit with you.

Information - Passport advice

If you're a British Citizen you can obtain up to date passport and visa information from the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office, visit 

Non-British Citizens should obtain up to date advice on passport and visa requirements from the Embassy, High Commission or Consulate of your destination or country(ies) through which you are travelling. 

It`s your responsibility to check passport and visa requirements before you travel.

European Holiday Insurance

Providing European breakdown cover and travel insurance with cover for cancellations and medical emergencies.

View holiday insurance options

Top questions

This is my first visit abroad with my caravan/motorhome. How can the Club help?

The Club's first time abroad section explains everything you need to know about going on your first overseas touring holiday.

See more