AGM 2023

DavidKlyne replied on 19/09/2023 10:40

Posted on 19/09/2023 10:40

I see from this link https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/about-us/agm/ we have the date of this years AGM, which is about 5/6 weeks away. However I can't find any details of whether this will be broadcast online or whether members will be able to submit questions in advance of the meeting as they have been able to do in recent years. Will we have an update?

David

peedee replied on 31/10/2023 06:43

Posted on 31/10/2023 06:43

Not convinced by ANPR, they certainly don’t eliminate access and egress of determined non desirables.

I would sooner see sites fitted with ANPR and unmaned than lose them. Losses have to be covered somehow. It is all well and good saying other more profitable sites should support them but all that does is push up prices. This concern of undesirables causing problems is unfounded, there are tougher laws now in place to deal with such problems and in any case whether it is unmaned or fully staffed makes no difference. Problems can still happen on fully staffed sites.

peedee

Cornersteady replied on 31/10/2023 09:04

Posted on 31/10/2023 09:04

While I fully welcome ANPR on club sites to enable a swift entry, especially if pre-paid, sites will still need club staff to maintain the site, grass cut, hardstanding maintained and general tidiness even on non facilities sites. I think the trial at one site (near Killin?) was where there was a staffed site nearby. What happens if the ANPR fails in a remote site?

The club model is to have staffed sites, and more importantly to have those staff live on site, or as in the case above a few minutes away. It is, in my opinion a good model, help is on hand from 11 hours a day and 24/7 in case of real emergencies. Personally it's a very big plus point and I know some see it as being too 'looked after' but it's what club members appear to like. I would think removing them would make these sites even less attractive 

Also this won't cut costs fully, even those owned by the club with no 'rent' will need maintenance, will have water and waste services costs, rubbish collection costs, some electricity costs and there must be a break even point even when even losses will be too much if they are not used. There are always pitches at most if not all non facities sites, even fantastically located and popular Borrowdale for next year - so far. 

peedee replied on 31/10/2023 09:11

Posted on 31/10/2023 09:11

Its funny how it can be done in other countries but we cannot do it here! We don't all need molly coddling.

peedee

KjellNN replied on 31/10/2023 15:47

Posted on 31/10/2023 15:47

I had a look through all the questions and answers and noticed that some were either not answered fully, or the answer was skewed to put over different information, not really answering exactly what had been asked.

Hja replied on 31/10/2023 16:11

Posted on 31/10/2023 15:47 by KjellNN

I had a look through all the questions and answers and noticed that some were either not answered fully, or the answer was skewed to put over different information, not really answering exactly what had been asked.

Posted on 31/10/2023 16:11

‘‘Twas ever thus!

the browser replied on 31/10/2023 16:13

Posted on 31/10/2023 16:13

Just like most politicians 

DavidKlyne replied on 31/10/2023 17:09

Posted on 31/10/2023 17:09

Kj

Tend to agree. The answers didn't seem as candid as in previous years and I don't think we learnt a lot where as in previous years some of the answers had been quite enlightening?

David

nelliethehooker replied on 31/10/2023 20:15

Posted on 31/10/2023 20:15

Maybe the "management"  have learnt from previous online AGMs just how to avoid answering pointed question while at the same time saying just what they want to say!

DavidKlyne replied on 31/10/2023 21:19

Posted on 31/10/2023 20:15 by nelliethehooker

Maybe the "management"  have learnt from previous online AGMs just how to avoid answering pointed question while at the same time saying just what they want to say!

Posted on 31/10/2023 21:19

Nellie

I am not sure many "pointed questions" were actually asked which does make the job, as you say, of management much easier. If you ask closed questions you will get closed answers. On the other hand if people asked more challenging open questions it would be more difficult to side step them. An example is the question about allowing motorhomes to use club site to dump and refill water for a small (ish) charge whilst not staying on site. Two years running the Club have said that wild camping is illegal and they don't want to encourage that. Fair enough one could say. However if the questioner had pointed out that with the increasing number of perfectly legitimate places for motorhomes to stay over night like car parks where an overnight fee is paid or the increasing number of pubs that allow overnight parking, sometimes free if you eat a meal. (I think TDA may have used such stops?) Clearly these places don't usually have facilities but are not illegal so the Club would have had to answer the question in a different way. I don't suppose it would have been a substantially different answer but it would be more difficult to dismiss the question. I am not trying to start a debate on whether the Club should allow such access just trying to illustrate how asking a question a different way, might just get a different answer.

David

mickysf replied on 01/11/2023 13:31

Posted on 01/11/2023 13:31

I don’t think we will ever know how many or how pointed many of the submitted questions actually were, David. Maybe the selection of those representing the different ‘subjects’ were selected because of their ‘ease’ of answering for the memberships. I cannot for one minute believe that only 23 questions were submitted.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook