February Magazine - Nick Lomas EVs

RollerMan181 replied on 29/01/2021 12:55

Posted on 29/01/2021 12:55

I started to read the Nick Lomas' article published in this month’s magazine regarding the transition towards electric vehicles with scepticism at first. Having owned two electric vehicles for over 4 years, I have seen so much biased reporting by ill informed journalists or in journals with “other” agendas that are clearly out to recredit EVs, that I thought here we go again.

So it started off well, then I got to the bombshell. The article states that running costs are lower and implies that, this will go a long way to offset the initial costs of purchase.  Very true, in my case, the cost of the lease and low charging costs mean that I can run an EV for much less than that of a comparable petrol or diesel car. Then he states that it costs £20 to charge “at home”!  Where on earth did he get that figure from? Well done he just may have alienated thousands of potential people thinking about converting to an EV.

Please find below the true cost of charging at home on an Economy 7 tariff

KIA SOUL EV (30KWh battery). To charge from 50% to 100%  will give a total range of 130 miles in summer, 100 miles in winter)

DAY RATE £2.47 plus vat @5%

NIGHT RATE £1.59 plus vat @5%

The latest KIA SOUL EV, (64KWh battery) for comparison will do more than twice the range, so to charge from 50% to 100% :-

DAY RATE £5.28 plus vat @5%

NIGHT RATE £2.97 plus vat @5%

I have Economy 7 tariff and additionally I have solar panels, so when the sun is shining, any excess electricity goes in to my car. So I can charge for free sometimes. Even at Public chargers that charge 30p per KW, I’ve never got anywhere near paying £20. Last year I did 10k miles for less than £300.

So to allow people to make informed decisions,  could you please add a correction in next month's magazine.

David Bell

Moved from the Story Section

Rufs replied on 17/02/2021 11:05

Posted on 16/02/2021 20:23 by StuartL

The above comments on EV's make interesting reading. However it would appear that very few are from people who actually tow a caravan with an electric vehicle . I was hoping to see some figures on range and ease of recharging with a caravan in tow.

My present(diesel) car will tow my caravan 300 miles before I must stop and spend five minutes refueling. How long will it be before there is an EV which will do this and will be affordable.

There must be many caravanners who think as I do that caravanning will no longer be viable either because such a  vehicle would be unaffordable or being unable to to travel to remote sites conveniently without regular protracted recharging stops always assuming an available charger of the correct type can be found and which can be accessed with a caravan in tow. 

This could clearly have an adverse effect on club membership numbers and even the viability of the club. I am sure that the club is only too aware  of these problems but I cannot see a solution at present. Of course there will no doubt be a surge in sales of petrol or diesel vehicles in 2029 but, unless there are some rapid technical developments in, for example, a cobalt60 battery technology and which can be installed in a road vehicle (assuming motorists would be happy to have a gamma ray source in the boot) this merely delays the problem for another few years, fortunately when I will probably be occupying a pitch at that great big site in the sky. . 

Posted on 17/02/2021 11:05

you may not have read as far back as my post, but i did try to cajole Which Magazine to provide the information you are looking for, I think the club did some testing with a Jag fpace some while ago but was only towing something akin to a trailer tent and the distance towed was terrible undecidedthis was my post

"Which magazine had a very good Feb supplement where they rated EV's/Hybrids giving costs for charging, mileage possible etc, i sent them an email asking them to grasp the nettle and put a caravan of say 1600kgs on the back of a suitably sized EV tow car and to publish the results for towing capability e.g. mileage, handling in tight situations such as pitching up on site, all the stuff a good diesel tow car would do

this was their reply

"As our reviews are designed to be a general overview for the general consumer, we wouldn't consider suitability for towing a caravan, ownership of which is estimated as being around 550,000 for the whole of the UK, as essential or universal enough to be included as part of our reviews. We always recommend that any members who have specific interests do outside research into those topics if a product that we recommend interests them"

take it as you will anybody got a printable suitable reply ?

P.S was talking to a friend in Houston yesterday, and he says they are now developing a battery that contains no cobalt can give a full charge in 10 mins and a range of 350 miles, 2 years to production, i guess it is a case of watch this space laughing

DavidKlyne replied on 17/02/2021 12:19

Posted on 17/02/2021 12:19

I imagine with JLR announcing that they will change over to all electric car manufacturing by 2025 they will start to produce cars with proper towing capability. It's hard to imagine Land Rover selling a Discovery that can't tow? Land Rovers are used for all sorts of things beyond towing caravans. Clearly they won't be cheap and there is a danger that there will be a period in history where many might be priced out of electric tow cars and that could well have a very negative impact on our hobby. Or perhaps as Brue suggests upthread lead to more people moving to motorhomes as the price differential could be quite small or even to the advantage of the motorhome if one takes into account of the cost of both the caravan and the electric car?

David

mike132 replied on 17/02/2021 14:38

Posted on 17/02/2021 14:38

I am bothered by the logistics of charging at home. When my two daughters lived at home there were four cars on the drive all required because of lack of public transport.  I believe that there are slow and fast chargers but I am unsure of the power needed. Often lengthy charging would not be suitable e.g. I was on shift and got home at 11pm and left at 5am next day for early shift.  daughters were often out late and up early for work as youngsters do! Would normal home electric capacity be sufficient? Where is all this extra power coming from as gas/oil heating is on the way out? What about all those who live in flats or terrace houses? I am not anti electric vehicles just worried that it has not been thought through or we have not been told as usual.

JVB66 replied on 17/02/2021 15:22

Posted on 17/02/2021 12:19 by DavidKlyne

I imagine with JLR announcing that they will change over to all electric car manufacturing by 2025 they will start to produce cars with proper towing capability. It's hard to imagine Land Rover selling a Discovery that can't tow? Land Rovers are used for all sorts of things beyond towing caravans. Clearly they won't be cheap and there is a danger that there will be a period in history where many might be priced out of electric tow cars and that could well have a very negative impact on our hobby. Or perhaps as Brue suggests upthread lead to more people moving to motorhomes as the price differential could be quite small or even to the advantage of the motorhome if one takes into account of the cost of both the caravan and the electric car?

David

Posted on 17/02/2021 15:22

What about the add car required for most motor caravan owners 

SteveL replied on 17/02/2021 19:01

Posted on 17/02/2021 15:22 by JVB66

Posted on 17/02/2021 19:01

I suppose if you bought a small EV as your day to day car you could use that. I doubt the numbers using MH’s for day to day transport are that large, so most would require another vehicle.

I would also question your use of most. When looking round CAMC sites and sites abroad, I would say it’s a minority.

JVB66 replied on 17/02/2021 19:46

Posted on 17/02/2021 19:01 by SteveL

I suppose if you bought a small EV as your day to day car you could use that. I doubt the numbers using MH’s for day to day transport are that large, so most would require another vehicle.

I would also question your use of most. When looking round CAMC sites and sites abroad, I would say it’s a minority.

Posted on 17/02/2021 19:46

I was thinking was a runaround at home rather than as a runaround from sites

JVB66 replied on 17/02/2021 19:50

Posted on 17/02/2021 14:38 by mike132

I am bothered by the logistics of charging at home. When my two daughters lived at home there were four cars on the drive all required because of lack of public transport.  I believe that there are slow and fast chargers but I am unsure of the power needed. Often lengthy charging would not be suitable e.g. I was on shift and got home at 11pm and left at 5am next day for early shift.  daughters were often out late and up early for work as youngsters do! Would normal home electric capacity be sufficient? Where is all this extra power coming from as gas/oil heating is on the way out? What about all those who live in flats or terrace houses? I am not anti electric vehicles just worried that it has not been thought through or we have not been told as usual.

Posted on 17/02/2021 19:50

I might have also mentioned the lack of joined up thinking with regards to charging EVs ,by those who are in charge? both at LA and HMG levels

DavidKlyne replied on 17/02/2021 20:15

Posted on 17/02/2021 15:22 by JVB66

Posted on 17/02/2021 20:15

Assuming I have understood you correctly that is exactly what we did when we got our first motorhome. We traded in the 4X4 for a compact car, in our case a Kia Venga. Whilst EV cars of the same size are still expensive compared to ICE cars they are a lot cheaper than anything capable of towing. A possible downside for those that might want to tow a small car behind their motorhome is the fact that, as far as I know, all EV's have automatic gearboxes which would probably preclude their use unless on an actual trailer. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook