February Magazine - Nick Lomas EVs

RollerMan181 replied on 29/01/2021 12:55

Posted on 29/01/2021 12:55

I started to read the Nick Lomas' article published in this month’s magazine regarding the transition towards electric vehicles with scepticism at first. Having owned two electric vehicles for over 4 years, I have seen so much biased reporting by ill informed journalists or in journals with “other” agendas that are clearly out to recredit EVs, that I thought here we go again.

So it started off well, then I got to the bombshell. The article states that running costs are lower and implies that, this will go a long way to offset the initial costs of purchase.  Very true, in my case, the cost of the lease and low charging costs mean that I can run an EV for much less than that of a comparable petrol or diesel car. Then he states that it costs £20 to charge “at home”!  Where on earth did he get that figure from? Well done he just may have alienated thousands of potential people thinking about converting to an EV.

Please find below the true cost of charging at home on an Economy 7 tariff

KIA SOUL EV (30KWh battery). To charge from 50% to 100%  will give a total range of 130 miles in summer, 100 miles in winter)

DAY RATE £2.47 plus vat @5%

NIGHT RATE £1.59 plus vat @5%

The latest KIA SOUL EV, (64KWh battery) for comparison will do more than twice the range, so to charge from 50% to 100% :-

DAY RATE £5.28 plus vat @5%

NIGHT RATE £2.97 plus vat @5%

I have Economy 7 tariff and additionally I have solar panels, so when the sun is shining, any excess electricity goes in to my car. So I can charge for free sometimes. Even at Public chargers that charge 30p per KW, I’ve never got anywhere near paying £20. Last year I did 10k miles for less than £300.

So to allow people to make informed decisions,  could you please add a correction in next month's magazine.

David Bell

Moved from the Story Section

Tinwheeler replied on 17/02/2021 20:29

Posted on 17/02/2021 20:15 by DavidKlyne

Assuming I have understood you correctly that is exactly what we did when we got our first motorhome. We traded in the 4X4 for a compact car, in our case a Kia Venga. Whilst EV cars of the same size are still expensive compared to ICE cars they are a lot cheaper than anything capable of towing. A possible downside for those that might want to tow a small car behind their motorhome is the fact that, as far as I know, all EV's have automatic gearboxes which would probably preclude their use unless on an actual trailer. 

Posted on 17/02/2021 20:29

Most electric cars are linear drive and do not have gearboxes.

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-advice/169767/do-electric-cars-have-gearboxes

Manufacturers generally say they should be carried rather than towed.

JVB66 replied on 18/02/2021 11:12

Posted on 18/02/2021 11:12

Something to chew oversurprised

I have this morning received an E Mail, from Our county constabulary  asking for comments on ANPR cameras and what, if any problems that could be foreseen if ANPR cameras across it seems the whole country including shopping areas and car parks were connected? and some other itemswink 

Road pricing idea in the pipelinesurprised

r

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 18/02/2021 12:33

Posted on 18/02/2021 11:12 by JVB66

Something to chew oversurprised

I have this morning received an E Mail, from Our county constabulary  asking for comments on ANPR cameras and what, if any problems that could be foreseen if ANPR cameras across it seems the whole country including shopping areas and car parks were connected? and some other itemswink 

Road pricing idea in the pipelinesurprised

r

Posted on 18/02/2021 12:33

Your area must be particularly bad JV, it will be to clean your environs it doesn’t naturally follow or ‘seems’ that it will go everywhere in the Country👍🏻

JVB66 replied on 18/02/2021 13:55

Posted on 18/02/2021 12:33 by Rocky 2 buckets

Your area must be particularly bad JV, it will be to clean your environs it doesn’t naturally follow or ‘seems’ that it will go everywhere in the Country👍🏻

Posted on 18/02/2021 13:55

You think?wink,

It is part of a national  survey evidently ,that is part of a future national data base?, that was the reply I got when called the number I was givensurprised

There are several other parts of the email ;that are it seems not available to be broadcastundecided

Tinwheeler replied on 18/02/2021 14:03

Posted on 18/02/2021 13:55 by JVB66

You think?wink,

It is part of a national  survey evidently ,that is part of a future national data base?, that was the reply I got when called the number I was givensurprised

There are several other parts of the email ;that are it seems not available to be broadcastundecided

Posted on 18/02/2021 14:03

Ah, a secret squirrel email 🤫

JVB66 replied on 18/02/2021 14:28

Posted on 18/02/2021 14:03 by Tinwheeler

Ah, a secret squirrel email 🤫

Posted on 18/02/2021 14:28

The Information i post if not  to some from  reliable sources ?and try to make some form of irrelavant  commentundecided , then maybe they are just  out of the right loops,, that can be verified cool sorry you do not have ,my sourceswink 

Tinwheeler replied on 18/02/2021 14:37

Posted on 18/02/2021 14:28 by JVB66

The Information i post if not  to some from  reliable sources ?and try to make some form of irrelavant  commentundecided , then maybe they are just  out of the right loops,, that can be verified cool sorry you do not have ,my sourceswink 

Posted on 18/02/2021 14:37

That's OK. Apology accepted. 👍🏻

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 18/02/2021 14:44

Posted on 18/02/2021 13:55 by JVB66

You think?wink,

Posted on 18/02/2021 14:44

JV you live in a World of make believe along with your ‘special warden’ access, special ‘C&MC’ access, special ‘Nurse’ access, now your latest-special ‘police’ access. You are only fooling yourself, but if it makes you feel ‘special’ you go for it-I know you are special😘. Have a good one👍🏻🙂

JVB66 replied on 18/02/2021 16:19

Posted on 18/02/2021 14:44 by Rocky 2 buckets

JV you live in a World of make believe along with your ‘special warden’ access, special ‘C&MC’ access, special ‘Nurse’ access, now your latest-special ‘police’ access. You are only fooling yourself, but if it makes you feel ‘special’ you go for it-I know you are special😘. Have a good one👍🏻🙂

Posted on 18/02/2021 16:19

I admit to what I am privy to cool, sorry that you seem so far ,on the outskirts of it seems what some can be advisedwink  but then you it seems,  by some of your comments your world is far removed ,from real lifesurprised 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook