2021 Monthly Open and Closed CL List

CLMaddie replied on 12/02/2021 09:44

Posted on 12/02/2021 09:44

Hi All

This sticky will provide the list of any CL sites which have opened or closed from the previous month in 2021. All of these will appear in the monthly magazine as well but this will show 2 months later.

I will provide a link to any new CL sites and list them as 'County - Listing Town - CL site'.

If you have any questions please comment in this discussion and I will get back to you. 

Thanks

Maddie

Cherokee2015 replied on 13/02/2021 19:07

Posted on 13/02/2021 12:12 by DavidKlyne

There might be some sensibilities about giving details of why a CL has closed. However I would of thought that telling us that a CL had changed operator or was expanding into a larger site wouldn't fit into that category? Perhaps as simple as an Asterisk alongside the closure notice for those CL's who are continuing in some form or another would be enough to allow members to explore further?

David

Posted on 13/02/2021 19:07

I don’t think the CMC would want members to continue using sites which had left the network to increase their size as it wouldn’t promote the club and benefits of membership.  

DavidKlyne replied on 13/02/2021 21:58

Posted on 13/02/2021 19:07 by Cherokee2015

I don’t think the CMC would want members to continue using sites which had left the network to increase their size as it wouldn’t promote the club and benefits of membership.  

Posted on 13/02/2021 21:58

Cherokee

I have never felt the CMC has been that parochial about people using non Club sites. Even by highlighting CL's that have closed by some means doesn't mean that people will use them. But for those that like to keep track of what is available some indication of whether a CL is continuing in a different format would be useful. Why we no longer have a reason why a CL is closed and giving reasons why it has closed I suspect is more to do with data protection. For example is it acceptable to give the reason for closing as site not up to standard when that might be contested by the owner, possibly through the legal process? However I can't imagine that any former CL which has expanded into a campsite would object that members were given a pointed in that direction?

David

cyberyacht replied on 14/02/2021 08:56

Posted on 14/02/2021 08:56

A quick look at the facilities available and size of the CL, in the much maligned SD, could be an indicator. If there is the space available and extensive facilities have already been installed, it's unlikely that they would cease trading, particularly if in a popular area.

Fisherman replied on 14/02/2021 11:16

Posted on 14/02/2021 11:16

Its a myth that there are lots of hoops to pass through to get a CL/Cs updated to a bigger site. Most applications dont even go through planning committees and are passed by the planning officers as their devolved powers.  The application costs are insignificance in the overall expansion cost. The irony is that using overcrowding ( more than 5) is used to support the expansion. Even in NP there is no real anti expansion.. After all the planning authority have more powers over granted sites than Cls which is a big plus. Here in Wales and probably elsewhere there are government agencies and grants to help make the application as "diversification". The trend is likely to accelerate. 

harryb replied on 14/02/2021 19:04

Posted on 13/02/2021 17:24 by InaD

Sad to see the one in Lincs closed, no idea whether it's closed altogether or perhaps carrying on as a private site.  It had a small aircraft museum as part of the site, Metheringham Airfield Visitor Centre.  Very interesting, and the CL was lovely, more like an enormous garden with loads of space.  We really enjoyed our stay there, and whilst thinking about where we could go once we can get out again, had actually thought of going back there again.

Edited: just checked and how time flies! I did a review for this CL, it was in 2016, can't believe it's 5 years since we were there.

Posted on 14/02/2021 19:04

I wouldn't bank on this site closing completely. It has land to accommodate more than 5 caravans and maybe they've seen an opportunity to expand as the museum and visitor centre seem to have expanded too. 

Keep the phone number

nelliethehooker replied on 14/02/2021 19:48

Posted on 13/02/2021 17:24 by InaD

Sad to see the one in Lincs closed, no idea whether it's closed altogether or perhaps carrying on as a private site.  It had a small aircraft museum as part of the site, Metheringham Airfield Visitor Centre.  Very interesting, and the CL was lovely, more like an enormous garden with loads of space.  We really enjoyed our stay there, and whilst thinking about where we could go once we can get out again, had actually thought of going back there again.

Edited: just checked and how time flies! I did a review for this CL, it was in 2016, can't believe it's 5 years since we were there.

Posted on 14/02/2021 19:48

I see that it is still listed on the ukcampsite web site, with a projected opening of 1:3:21 Covid permitting.

harryb replied on 14/02/2021 20:39

Posted on 14/02/2021 19:48 by nelliethehooker

I see that it is still listed on the ukcampsite web site, with a projected opening of 1:3:21 Covid permitting.

Posted on 14/02/2021 20:39

Interesting find Nellie.

Strange the only site review was in 2013 and actually says from the reviewer, "The Caravan Club has asked him to up his prices." That then showed an increase of £2 per night to £10 which could have been about right 8 years ago.

As I said, they have expanded the centre over the years and now have quite a comprehensive web site. I have just had a look and their is no mention of caravan facilities.

nelliethehooker replied on 14/02/2021 21:29

Posted on 14/02/2021 20:39 by harryb

Interesting find Nellie.

Strange the only site review was in 2013 and actually says from the reviewer, "The Caravan Club has asked him to up his prices." That then showed an increase of £2 per night to £10 which could have been about right 8 years ago.

As I said, they have expanded the centre over the years and now have quite a comprehensive web site. I have just had a look and their is no mention of caravan facilities.

Posted on 14/02/2021 21:29

I guess the only way to be sure if they've closed or not is to give them a phone call.

I've just been through Maddie's list and some are not even listed in the new SD, and a couple are already marked as CL Closed.

CLMaddie replied on 16/03/2021 10:11

Posted on 16/03/2021 10:11

Hi All

The please see below a list of sites which opened and closed in February.

I have listed them by County, Listing town then CL site

Sites opened in February.

Sites closed in February

• Anglesey - Benllech - Ty Mawr
  • Cornwall - Wadebridge - Norwood
  • Devon - Tiverton - Hillside Farm
  • Lincolnshire - Louth - Furze Farm Estate
  • Monmouthshire - Monmouth - The Tump
  • Norfolk - Swaffham - Mona Bungalow
  • North Yorkshire - Filey - Blakey House
  • North Yorkshire - Thirsk - Canvas Farm
  • Shropshire - Bishops Castle - The Lilac House

Thanks

Maddie

harryb replied on 16/03/2021 12:02

Posted on 16/03/2021 12:02

Furze Farm in Louth only appears to be closed for building work. Their website states "Temporarily closed". and states that new individual washrooms/toilets are being built and looks to be working towards 21st May to reopen.It is sill showing it as a cl.

So does it warrant a listing above under Sites Closed, which is not totally accurate if the site is just closed for a short period of redevelopment. Surely a not to that effect could have been made against their name.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook