New Site Booking System

DavidKlyne replied on 25/11/2021 11:54

Posted on 25/11/2021 11:54

The Club have released more details of the new Booking System here 

There are still finer details still to be arrived but the link (thanks Harry) sets out how the new system will work.

I have closed the previous thread on when we will get details of the new booking system and opened this one to allow comments specifically on the new system rather than discussing what they might be.

David

Cornersteady replied on 24/01/2022 16:56

Posted on 24/01/2022 16:53 by Twos more then one

As you can imagine, a lot of members all cancelling a few times a year soon adds up! After reviewing the market, speaking to members and looking at other campsite providers the best solution to reduce speculative bookings is to introduce a deposit system. This will reduce the number of speculative bookings and create more availability for members.

There it is twice 

Posted on 24/01/2022 16:56

removed by me

TandemTwo replied on 24/01/2022 16:58

As you can imagine, a lot of members all cancelling a few times a year soon adds up! After reviewing the market, speaking to members and looking at other campsite providers the best solution to reduce speculative bookings is to introduce a deposit system. This will reduce the number of speculative bookings and create more availability for members.

There it is twice 

Posted on 24/01/2022 16:58

For any Member who has a few spare quid, nothing changes. The speculative bookings will continue, but the vast majority will cancel giving 21 days notice ... deposit returned to be used in a further speculative booking ...

Cornersteady replied on 24/01/2022 17:01

There it is twice 

Posted on 24/01/2022 17:01

I think what is being asked is - where is any reference to that 25% of cancellations being speculative, or what % of that 25% is speculative.

Again debate what was the cause, and I suppose why am Iundecided

brue replied on 24/01/2022 17:08

Posted on 24/01/2022 17:08

I suggest people start doing the sums involved, eg 950,000 x £25 (at least) will bring in revenue to the club.  At present there is no security of income for the club whilst people enjoy using the system to their own advantage even by legitimate means.

Cornersteady replied on 24/01/2022 17:09

Posted on 24/01/2022 15:32 by young thomas

If you failed to secure a booking due to the site being full, I'm not sure you'd know why those places had been taken, nor if some were later released due to someone cancelling a 'speculative' booking.

we pretty much take all our bookings, but we don't book club sites far in advance, as 3/4 of our touring is overseas.

But, of the other 7 weeks or so we are touring the UK, it's really only our New Year break that we book or for another specific reason....for example, we are going to a concert later in the year and booked the local site to correspond.

however, we did want to visit one specific 'honeypot' a few years ago and our lackadaisical organisation (touring on a whim...) didn't cut the mustard, so I booked really early and selected two dates, without a clue as to which one we would take...

it would certainly be weather dependant...the site has a pool and we required sunshine...and to fit with our ever changing diary..

so, I guess you could say that one of those bookings was speculative, so you can blame it all on me😉

Posted on 24/01/2022 17:09

...so I booked really early and selected two dates...

BB, without any ulterior motive or trying to imply anything or 'score' anything, and nor will I ever quote you on your answer, will the new system change your future bookings in the way you describe? If one booking is only going to cost you say £25 would you still do it? I understand if you don't want to answer and won't say you didn't - promise! 

I have said that £25 for me isn't that much to lose for me personally and in towing some of that would be use in fuel and snacks stops along the way, never mind all the pub grub while away.

Cornersteady replied on 24/01/2022 17:14

Posted on 24/01/2022 17:08 by brue

I suggest people start doing the sums involved, eg 950,000 x £25 (at least) will bring in revenue to the club.  At present there is no security of income for the club whilst people enjoy using the system to their own advantage even by legitimate means.

Posted on 24/01/2022 17:14

Yep, my point upthread.

Twos more then one replied on 24/01/2022 17:19

Posted on 24/01/2022 16:52 by Cornersteady

Maybe, perhaps, but no firm evidence of that is there? We also have no idea of how many members did?

Or perhaps the club liked the idea of all that up-front money either earning interest somewhere for possibly a year in advance or there for more immediate purchases?

But to my mind arguing about what caused the change is academic speculation at best or just a waste of time at worst. It has happened.

Posted on 24/01/2022 17:19

You Post
But to my mind arguing about what caused the change is academic speculation at best or just a waste of time at worst. It has happened.

It is not academic at all , 25% is a huge figure 

Cornersteady replied on 24/01/2022 17:26

Posted on 24/01/2022 17:19 by Twos more then one

You Post

It is not academic at all , 25% is a huge figure 

Posted on 24/01/2022 17:26

It's academic as it's in the past, the new system is here and while it's mildly fun to speculate about what caused it it's here and talking about what possibly caused it won't change that.

Tinwheeler replied on 24/01/2022 17:50

There it is twice 

Posted on 24/01/2022 17:50

But that is not the same at all as saying 25% of bookings which are subsequently cancelled are speculative. We know cancellations ran at 25% but we do not know what proportion of that 25% was speculative. That is the huge point you are missing by a country mile!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook