Small Private Sites

Takethedogalong replied on 30/06/2019 15:50

Posted on 30/06/2019 15:50

I know a few members are like us and mix in a few none Club Sites into a tour. Thought I would open up a thread for folks to post website links to any nice sites they come across, that might interest others.

This one to start with http://www.thamesheadinn.co.uk/camping-caravan-sites-cirencester-glos.html

Just off A433 few miles from Cirencester, so ideal for Cotswolds area. Plenty to see and do in area, Pub is nice for food.

Moderator Edit:

This thread is for posting links and/or reviews.  Please don't use it to discuss the merits, or otherwise, of other people's choices.

Thank You.

nelliethehooker replied on 25/04/2022 19:22

Posted on 25/04/2022 19:22

Thanks M and David for those sites. 

Moulesy, what is the road to the Bowlaithe site like for towing, as some of the roads around there are rather narrow and can be busy in the holiday periods?

moulesy replied on 26/04/2022 16:21

Posted on 25/04/2022 19:22 by nelliethehooker

Thanks M and David for those sites. 

Moulesy, what is the road to the Bowlaithe site like for towing, as some of the roads around there are rather narrow and can be busy in the holiday periods?

Posted on 26/04/2022 16:21

Depends where you're starting from,  Nellie! wink

But you can bypass Clitheroe on the A59, take the turn off for Sawley, carry on over Sawley Bridge (signposted Bolton by Bowland) and up to the site no problem, access looks easy, directly off the B road. smile

nelliethehooker replied on 27/04/2022 21:43

Posted on 26/04/2022 16:21 by moulesy

Depends where you're starting from,  Nellie! wink

But you can bypass Clitheroe on the A59, take the turn off for Sawley, carry on over Sawley Bridge (signposted Bolton by Bowland) and up to the site no problem, access looks easy, directly off the B road. smile

Posted on 27/04/2022 21:43

Thanks M, that's the way we went to Top Bank Farm CL, but we turned left just after the bridge. 

InaD replied on 29/04/2022 08:43

Posted on 25/04/2022 17:38 by moulesy

Another site we walked past today, in a completely different part of the country. Between the villages of Sawley and Bolton in Bowland in Lancashire with lovely views over the River Ribble to Pendle Hill. Only 2 units on it today. smile

https://bowlaithecaravansite.co.uk/caravan-site/

Posted on 29/04/2022 08:43

As this would be not too far from home, I had a look at this site.  Looks to be in a nice part of Lancashire, but reading the T&Cs I was very surprised to read: Continental touring caravans (caravans built with the door on the right-hand side) are not permitted. Presumably they mean left-hand side (if looking at the caravan from the front) though!  Doesn't affect us, but I don't think I've seen that mentioned on any site in the UK.   

The other thing is that changes cannot be made to any booking.  I accept it's not the site owner's fault if someone can't take up their booking; but we have found (on the odd occasion that we wanted to change dates) that owners have been flexible in that respect; providing of course they have a pitch available.

Will keep the site in mind though for a short notice booking for a short break.

JVB66 replied on 29/04/2022 09:13

Posted on 29/04/2022 08:43 by InaD

As this would be not too far from home, I had a look at this site.  Looks to be in a nice part of Lancashire, but reading the T&Cs I was very surprised to read: Continental touring caravans (caravans built with the door on the right-hand side) are not permitted. Presumably they mean left-hand side (if looking at the caravan from the front) though!  Doesn't affect us, but I don't think I've seen that mentioned on any site in the UK.   

The other thing is that changes cannot be made to any booking.  I accept it's not the site owner's fault if someone can't take up their booking; but we have found (on the odd occasion that we wanted to change dates) that owners have been flexible in that respect; providing of course they have a pitch available.

Posted on 29/04/2022 09:13

The statement could well be a deterrent for another community who tend to use that type of LV although it may also have an effect on others

replied on 29/04/2022 09:37

Posted on 29/04/2022 08:43 by InaD

Posted on 29/04/2022 09:37

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Takethedogalong replied on 29/04/2022 10:11

Posted on 29/04/2022 10:11

Not an area we know well at all, but looks a great location. Most sites have the odd thing that perhaps doesn’t suit all, nothing on there would put us off considering it for a short break. Thanks for adding M👍

MikeyA replied on 31/05/2022 17:45

Posted on 31/05/2022 17:45

We have just spent 5 days at Gorse Farm Caravan  Park close to Fordingbridge. A beautiful grassy site with a mixture of grass pitches and hard standings.

The hardstandings are not connected to a road so the overall image of the site is mown grass. It is hard to describe the amount of space available, pitches are very large but what is amazing is the separation distance to facing caravans, probably  in the region of 20 - 30 m. 

Access is very good being only 200m from the main road. For those who know the area the site is quite close to Sandy Balls Holiday Village. 

Gorse Farm

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook