COVID - general discussion - Temp Locked

moulesy replied on 14/01/2021 10:22

Posted on 14/01/2021 10:12 by

Does anybody know what way the UK was said to be doing better than Europe? I have only read this statement as having regard to vaccine rollout. In this regard we are well ahead of mainland Europe

Posted on 14/01/2021 10:22

It is certainly true that we are way ahead as far as the vaccine production and roll out is concerned and we should rightly praise all the scientific effort that went into this - not to mention those who volunteered for the trials along the way. Similarly we can be proud of the heroic efforts of NHS staff who have responded so uncomplainingly to the demands being put upon them. smile

Our political masters? Little to be proud of there. frown

moulesy replied on 14/01/2021 10:29

Posted on 14/01/2021 10:21 by JVB66

Quick action? or as you pointed out ,much sparcer poulation

Posted on 14/01/2021 10:29

Just read Mickey's post again. He was pointing out that roughly the same number of folk live in the 4 major cities in both countries. The "sparcer  poulation "(sic)  is largely irrelevant in that respect. undecided

replied on 14/01/2021 10:31

Posted on 14/01/2021 10:18 by MikeyA

Statistics do not always show the whole truth. Lots of other countries have vast areas of uninhabited land with few people which distort the real picture.

Take the UK and Australia for example:

UK is approx 32 times smaller than Australia

Population of UK is  68 million, Australia is 25 million.

However if you list the city populations in order of size:

London  9.3 million, Manchester, 2.73, Birmingham, 2.6, Glasgow 1.67

Melbourne 4.97, Sydney 4.92, Brisbane 2.4, Perth 2.1

So you can see that the majority of the population of Oz lives in just 4 cities so the fact that the area of Australia is almost 3 million square miles is irrelevant.

Both countries are islands but quick and decisive action by the Australian government has restricted the number of deaths to less than a thousand.

Posted on 14/01/2021 10:31

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

brue replied on 14/01/2021 10:33

Posted on 14/01/2021 10:33

Australia enjoys a different climate and an outdoor lifestyle which may also affect the spread of Covid in certain regions.

JVB66 replied on 14/01/2021 10:37

Posted on 14/01/2021 10:29 by moulesy

Just read Mickey's post again. He was pointing out that roughly the same number of folk live in the 4 major cities in both countries. The "sparcer  poulation "(sic)  is largely irrelevant in that respect. undecided

Posted on 14/01/2021 10:37

And how far apart are those "large?"populations undecided

When in this little island many commute  daily between our many large populated citiessurprised

the one major thing that should have  IMHO been done in the early stages of the pandemic would have been to test those entering the country which i can understand with so many entry points to the UK , would have been far harder than the likes of Australia and New Zealand

MikeyA replied on 14/01/2021 10:40

Posted on 14/01/2021 10:21 by JVB66

Quick action? or as you pointed out ,much sparcer poulation

Posted on 14/01/2021 10:40

The population isn't much sparser as I think I've shown. Talking about decisive action the Australian government banned international travel soon after the pandemic started last March and anyone coming into is taken to a hotel for mandatory quarantine.

Compare that with this country where even now,10 months and over 80,000 deaths later, the long awaited requirement for a negative Covid test has been delayed from tomorrow until next Monday. This should have  been instigated 9 months ago. All throughout the pandemic the Government has allowed anyone arriving from abroad unhindered passage to anywhere in the country before they reach their place of "quarantine". How many millions could have been affected by this nonsensical ruling that anyone in a primary school could have foreseen the possible repercussions. 

brue replied on 14/01/2021 10:40

Posted on 14/01/2021 10:31 by

Mickey as well demonstrate over the pond there are lots of people who will only believe "facts " that support their own prejudices  everything  else of "fake news". Several here fall into that camp and will continue to take comfort  from the problems elsewhere. 

Posted on 14/01/2021 10:40

I have to disagree with you again David, I'm probably one of the majority who takes no comfort at all from the spread of this disease in any country. Neither will I run our country down in it's efforts to suppress and control the disease, mistakes have been made. Politicians receive no training for their job, they are the same as us, they get voted in and out and they're not as Moulesy says "our masters" they could more likely be called our servants and in the face of a crisis like this one they will be called to task when the crisis is over.

MikeyA replied on 14/01/2021 10:45

Posted on 14/01/2021 10:33 by brue

Australia enjoys a different climate and an outdoor lifestyle which may also affect the spread of Covid in certain regions.

Posted on 14/01/2021 10:45

Not all the time. They have had awful weather in Sydney over the last few weeks.

I'm sure many of us also adopted a similar lifestyle last March and April when we had unseasonably good weather during the first lockdown. Didn't help the deaths in the first period though did it?

Cornersteady replied on 14/01/2021 10:46

Posted on 14/01/2021 10:12 by

Does anybody know what way the UK was said to be doing better than Europe? I have only read this statement as having regard to vaccine rollout. In this regard we are well ahead of mainland Europe

Posted on 14/01/2021 10:46

my post was removed but I didn't mention anything about UK doing better at all? It was about a poster saying what would you do?

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook