COVID - general discussion - Temp Locked

moulesy replied on 14/01/2021 10:47

Posted on 14/01/2021 10:34 by LLM
Content has been removed.

Posted on 14/01/2021 10:47

Would a "reasoned arguement" be that quicker and more decisive action in virtually every respect of the handling of this situation would have demonstrably led to fewer infections, hospital admissions and deaths? Even today we are hearing that the new measures regarding arrivals from overseas, so proudly announced just this week, have had to be delayed. frown

But let me turn the question round, LLM - are you saying that you are perfectly happy with the way ministers from the PM down have handled it? No criticism at all? undecided

JVB66 replied on 14/01/2021 10:54

Posted on 14/01/2021 10:45 by MikeyA

Not all the time. They have had awful  weather in Sydney over the last few weeks.

I'm sure many of also adopted a similar lifestyle last March and April when we had unseasonably good weather during the first lockdown. Didn't help the deaths in the first period though did it?

Posted on 14/01/2021 10:54

But then the latest Mutations ,from Kent ,South Africa and now Brazil as found in Australia have yet to take of in other areas of the world

And using March 2020 as a model is not really relavent  as all nations were more so,  and still are on a very steep learning curve and the more crowded smaller countries even harder to find a way through this

replied on 14/01/2021 11:03

Posted on 14/01/2021 10:29 by moulesy

Just read Mickey's post again. He was pointing out that roughly the same number of folk live in the 4 major cities in both countries. The "sparcer  poulation "(sic)  is largely irrelevant in that respect. undecided

Posted on 14/01/2021 11:03

Not sure really M. One thing which may or may not be different is the network of small towns aiding spread. 

MikeyA replied on 14/01/2021 11:04

Posted on 14/01/2021 10:54 by JVB66

But then the latest Mutations ,from Kent ,South Africa and now Brazil as found in Australia have yet to take of in other areas of the world

And using March 2020 as a model is not really relavent  as all nations were more so,  and still are on a very steep learning curve and the more crowded smaller countries even harder to find a way through this

Posted on 14/01/2021 11:04

JVB,-  Do you agree that quick decisive actions could have saved many thousands of lives.

Can you explain to me why, when we are in our current "Lockdown" and asking the nation to "Stay at home, Protect the NHS, Save Lives" are we still allowing Garden centres, Places of Worship and even NT gardens ( not many people walk to one) to remain open?

Edit. JVB, ---   if Boris had been in charge of the New Zealand government, do you really think his bumbling and indecision would have also resulted in them limiting their number of deaths to 25?

replied on 14/01/2021 11:08

Posted on 14/01/2021 10:40 by brue

I have to disagree with you again David, I'm probably one of the majority who takes no comfort at all from the spread of this disease in any country. Neither will I run our country down in it's efforts to suppress and control the disease, mistakes have been made. Politicians receive no training for their job, they are the same as us, they get voted in and out and they're not as Moulesy says "our masters" they could more likely be called our servants and in the face of a crisis like this one they will be called to task when the crisis is over.

Posted on 14/01/2021 11:08

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

replied on 14/01/2021 11:13

Posted on 14/01/2021 10:46 by Cornersteady

my post was removed but I didn't mention anything about UK doing better at all? It was about a poster saying what would you do?

Posted on 14/01/2021 11:13

No, not in the removed post but there has been reference in many posts about a statement saying that UK gov had claimed to have done well. I I hoped you or anybody could say in relation to what aspect. 

In elation to stopping the spread I don't think that UK has done well at all. 

Cornersteady replied on 14/01/2021 11:19

Posted on 14/01/2021 11:13 by

No, not in the removed post but there has been reference in many posts about a statement saying that UK gov had claimed to have done well. I I hoped you or anybody could say in relation to what aspect. 

Posted on 14/01/2021 11:19

Perhaps but you replied to me and I haven't mentioned anything about UK v everyone else in a long time. My post was to LLM asking about his what would you do question to M

Cornersteady replied on 14/01/2021 11:21

Posted on 14/01/2021 11:08 by

I wont be holding my breath waiting for these people to be called to account when this is over . It has taken incompetence of monumental  proportions to suffer as badly in a country without land borders and when it was finally beginning to be taken seriously   the PM  didn't bother to turn up at the first 5 COBRA  meetings . I am afraid no amount of excellent  work by the NHS and army now will "rub off " onto these people in my eyes.

Posted on 14/01/2021 11:21

You have mentioned this land border thing a few times? What would you have wanted ? Close the borders?

moulesy replied on 14/01/2021 11:23

Posted on 14/01/2021 11:13 by

Posted on 14/01/2021 11:23

Not quite correct if you're referring to my post. I didn't say the the "UK gov had claimed to have done well" (though I do believe they "think" they have undecided). I said "we have been told" meaning by a number of posters on here who appear to me to be slavishly endorsing the government's handling of the situation. (And they are, of course, perfectly entitled to that view, though, obviously it's not one that I share.)

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook