Covid - news and views

brue replied on 08/02/2021 13:35

Posted on 08/02/2021 13:35

It's good to hear that members of CT are receiving their vaccinations, good luck to all those yet to have theirs. It seems like a long haul till we get everyone sorted and hear the results of the present vaccines. 

I'm leaving this open for non political comments as per the guidelines. Hope you can add your own experiences and thoughts.

My first jab comes up tomorrow, I'm so glad we have research institutions that have got us this far! And I am planning breaks away in the hope of improvements on the horizon.

Cornersteady replied on 11/05/2021 17:12

Posted on 11/05/2021 17:12

I see showers will be open again on English club sites from the 17th.

Based on the latest Government advice issued on 10 May, our shower facilities will reopen in line with guidance from Mon 17 May.

CJDM replied on 15/05/2021 16:20

Posted on 03/05/2021 20:37 by KjellNN

I was wrong when I said that DIL had a vaccination appointment.  We met up  with them at DD's house on Saturday and she was saying she still had no date.  She turned 48 last Friday.  Rather worrying, especially as she is a teacher, in contact with multiple pchildren and other staff on a daily basis.

SIL was saying he has 2 children in one of his classes, 16 year olds, who have tested positive.  He is having twice weekly tests and so far is fine.  He is only 36, so has a while to wait yet for his vaccinations.

Posted on 15/05/2021 16:20

Apologies if this has already been covered, but has DIL tried the NHS booking site rather than waiting for an appt.?  I used that, it was faster than the GP.

Bakers2 replied on 15/05/2021 16:58

Posted on 03/05/2021 20:37 by KjellNN

I was wrong when I said that DIL had a vaccination appointment.  We met up  with them at DD's house on Saturday and she was saying she still had no date.  She turned 48 last Friday.  Rather worrying, especially as she is a teacher, in contact with multiple pchildren and other staff on a daily basis.

SIL was saying he has 2 children in one of his classes, 16 year olds, who have tested positive.  He is having twice weekly tests and so far is fine.  He is only 36, so has a while to wait yet for his vaccinations.

Posted on 15/05/2021 16:58

Things might be very different in Scotland or even other parts of England and Wales?

Our son, 32 and DIL same age, got text from their GP offering Pfizer vaccine. He had his on Thursday, she's booked hers for Sunday - incase one has a reaction as they have a 6 week old baby! She researched fully and is going ahead.

I'm delighted for them.

I was given 2 boxes of flo tests when incollected last month's prescription. And OH has had 2 boxes of them through the post, classed as extremely vunerable. Can't say they're pleasant to use but so far so good.

MikeyA replied on 15/05/2021 18:40

Posted on 15/05/2021 18:40

We had our 2nd Pfizer jabs on Wednesday. Our only side effects has  been a sore arm to both of us appearing some 10 hrs after the jab. My wife's soreness only lasted some 36 hrs but mine is dragging on longer. Minimal discomfort. 

KjellNN replied on 16/05/2021 10:28

Posted on 15/05/2021 16:20 by CJDM

Apologies if this has already been covered, but has DIL tried the NHS booking site rather than waiting for an appt.?  I used that, it was faster than the GP.

Posted on 16/05/2021 10:28

In Scotland, at the moment at least, you wait to be sent your appointment, you cannot book yourself in.

Whether this will change when they get down to the over 30s, has not been stated.

I believe, if you think you have been missed out, you can ring up and if that is the case you will be given an appointment over the phone.

Booking a test can be done online and appointments are easily available with results often coming through within 24 hours or less.

KjellNN replied on 16/05/2021 10:55

Posted on 15/05/2021 16:58 by Bakers2

Things might be very different in Scotland or even other parts of England and Wales?

Our son, 32 and DIL same age, got text from their GP offering Pfizer vaccine. He had his on Thursday, she's booked hers for Sunday - incase one has a reaction as they have a 6 week old baby! She researched fully and is going ahead.

I'm delighted for them.

I was given 2 boxes of flo tests when incollected last month's prescription. And OH has had 2 boxes of them through the post, classed as extremely vunerable. Can't say they're pleasant to use but so far so good.

Posted on 16/05/2021 10:55

DD who is 35, has also decided to take the vaccination, having similarly researched.   Looks like it will be well into June or even July before she will be given an appointment.

Just heard from our son that DIL (48) now has an appointment for 31st May.

Wherenext replied on 19/05/2021 16:43

Posted on 19/05/2021 16:43

Just seen some "good" news for Wales.

It's been reported that there has been only 1 Death during the past week from Covid. Terrible for those involved, that's why the Inverted commas on good above, but a real improvement for the population in general.

Takethedogalong replied on 19/05/2021 17:19

Posted on 19/05/2021 17:19

Not just age related JV, it’s about other factors as well, not least ethnicity and poverty. It’s no good booking a Covid jab if the location is miles away, and you are reliant upon public transport. It then becomes an expense in terms of not only money but time as well, and if you factor in possibly needing child care, time off work etc..... High case areas such as Bolton, they have taken jabbing into the local communities, rather than expecting people to sort things out for themselves miles away. If you are poor, you might not have internet, access to transport, access to childcare. They are trying to overcome lots of other factors preventing vaccine take up. Fingers crossed it all works out ok.🤞

JVB66 replied on 19/05/2021 17:48

Posted on 19/05/2021 17:19 by Takethedogalong

Not just age related JV, it’s about other factors as well, not least ethnicity and poverty. It’s no good booking a Covid jab if the location is miles away, and you are reliant upon public transport. It then becomes an expense in terms of not only money but time as well, and if you factor in possibly needing child care, time off work etc..... High case areas such as Bolton, they have taken jabbing into the local communities, rather than expecting people to sort things out for themselves miles away. If you are poor, you might not have internet, access to transport, access to childcare. They are trying to overcome lots of other factors preventing vaccine take up. Fingers crossed it all works out ok.🤞

Posted on 19/05/2021 17:48

Sorry but that argument is wearing a bit thin in the areas so posted ,as big efforts have been made to make sure those entitled to have the vaccine ,do if they want it

Andy Burnham has also quantified that

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook